RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

02 Dutch Star DP owners manual

Hello all,

I am a newbie and have been biten by this MH bug. I purchased a class c 29' with 2 slides last spring and the wife and I loved it. It was our first RV but found out pretty quickly that we wanted something bigger and something a lot quieter going down the road. So I sold it and jumped in deep and purchased a 02 Dutch Star DP model 3852.
I am retired and like to buy and sell pickups on the side as a hobbie/make a little pocket money, lol.
I have now purchased this Newmar Dutch Star as a repo that needs some TLC but with only 32k on the 330 hp Cat. So I am in the process of gathering the bus and working any and all kinks out before I put it up for sell next spring or summer some time. But we are enjoying using it while taking care of the little things that this bus needs to be retail ready.
I have found that there is definitely a learning curve involved for sure, lol. I have lots of questions and have been able to come to this web site and find the answers to a lot of these questions. This is a great source for info and very thankful that you guys are here for us newbies.

My original reason for a RV was to be able to spend as much time with my with of 34 yrs that has been diagnosed with terminal cancer at the ripe age of 52. About the same time we were going thru this, I was going thru 4 neck surgeries which has left me medically disabled at the same time. Believe it or not this has allowed me the needed time to care for my wife and take her to all the doc appointments. We live in north central Oklahoma and have 3 grown sons two of which have taken jobs out in the TX panhandle, Borger. This is about a 5 1/2 hour drive in the truck to go and visit them and 2 of our grandsons. The rv allows her to travel comfortably and gives us a place to stay when we get there without putting anybody out once were there. We arent really into camping but who knows it might grow on use. I purchased the DP so we can make some short trips to visit family, go see some things that we would like to see that we havent seen before. Right now our trips are limited to just short 4 or 5 day outings because we have to be home for the wifes weekly chemo treatments.
We are not really retirement age with her being 53 and me 56 and no we arent financially well off to allow us to be full timers. But with the wifes diagnoses, I am trying to make all the memories I can while I have her and she still feels up to traveling. The thing that makes her the happiest is spending as much time with our sons and grandchildren as possible.
So bedammed with the the retirement fund, we are spending our retirement fund now because we have no guarantees for another tomorrow. This may be a short lived venture that may only last for a yr maybe two but I'm trying to do everything in my power to make this time with her as special as I can.
Now on that note. I didnt receive all the owner operator manuals with the bus. The weather is starting to turn off cooler and before we know it, a cold front could slam us with some below freezing temps and Im not sure about some things about the about capabilities of my bus.
I was told when I purchased the bus that it was a four season bus but I'm not sure what that means?
Can someone tell me if my 02 Dutch Star diesel has heated tanks and will the bus be ok as long as I'm plugged into SP? Do I need to winterize the bus even though it will either be plugged in or running down the road? And is there someplace I can go and down load a owners manual for the bus itself? I have found the brochure but not a operators manual for the bus itself??
All help and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Big T

Tevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FIRST...

SECOND...

Welcome to Newmar ownership.

WOW...you have a lot on your plate and I wish you the best outcomes in all that you can control and the ability to handle that which you can't.

Perhaps this is a very basic starting point but go to Parts & Support - Newmar and near the bottom left of that page click on the box for "Access ComNet" That will get you into an area where you can search for parts (Specific to coach SN or drill down by year and model) and some technical information.

By "4 season" they are saying that it CAN endure a lot of the seasonal weather. Newmar has some of the best coach insulation found in the production model industry. Even with that being said, extremely cold weather might require you to winterize your water system. Even if you have tank heating pads your water bay pipes are at risk of freezing during very cold weather. If you have a blower switch to divert some of hour furnace heating into the water bay you can probably do well down into the lower 20s as long as you run the furnace. Some folks run a power cord into the wet bay to either power a light bulb or space heater. This works well for many while on shore power but you will probably need to run your generator to provide AC to a coach outlet to run something like that while driving if it really THAT cold. If it is THAT cold...you will probably be parked somewhere. LOL

Being in central OK and traveling to the TX panhandle you will be seriously challenged by cold weather. You may want to consider blowing out your system instead of antifreeze if you think you will be in and out of the coach. There will be a few more challenges such as making sure "out of site" pipes (like the line to an ice maker or under sink hear walls) are also blown out and/or can be isolated and turned off after being blown out. BTW...if you have heat pumps they will need shore or generator power.

ALSO...you will need shore power for your block heater! Depending on temps and your preferences, you may need to run that as much at 12 hours before a really cold engine start. There are LOTS of opinions on their use but I use mine if temps have been at or below freezing for more than 8 hours. I will run it for at least 4 hours before a planned engine start and add 1 hour for each 2* below freezing up to 12 hours.

You will go through a fair amount of propane. If you have heat pumps they are only good down to about 35*-40*. I normally switch from heat pumps to the furnace at temps below 40* because they get progressively less efficient as the temps drop. While you are driving you will have full use of your furnace along with dash heating. There are lots of tips on how to be as comfortable as possible and protecting your coach systems throughout IRV2. Use the SEARCH feature liberally.

Work your way through you're essential systems and I would consider the generator as being right up there with chassis and basic home features. You do NOT need the generator to run the furnace while driving. If temps are above 40* and you have heat pumps you may find that more economical and reduces the number of propane fill ups you will need through the cold time. Again, if you run some kind of light/heater in the wet bay while driving, you will need the generator running unless you have a those on an inverter circuit and your space heater is relatively small in power needs.

I'm certain there will be lots of other tips heading your way.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tevans,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. Sorry to hear of the difficulties you are going through. Newmar Owner Manual's are not noted for the detail needed to answer most questions.

If your coach has a propane fueled forced hot air furnace, you are in luck. There should be a duct that heats the utility tanks from the furnace. There may also be a switch, in the utility bay (upper left) to turn on the fan that pulls the hot air through the duct into the bay. If so, and you are going to use the coach throughout the winter, just keep the coach plugged into shore power and set the thermostat on furnace for around 45 degrees. Watch the propane level and leave the cabinet doors open so all the plumbing pipes get heat, from the furnace.

One could also place a small electric heater in the utility bay.

Newmar coaches are very well built and insulated.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Thank you Mr. Sky Boss
Great info and plan to use the search function as you say, liberally. Thats was good to know that I dont have to run the gen set to use to furnace while running down the road. Im not sure if my bus has a specific heat vent going to the wet bay and if their is a specific swith to turn it on. Hopefully the operators manuel will help answer these questions.
Thank you for you assistance sir.

Big T
Old 10-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tevans,
The utility bay fan switch looks like this Basement Heater Switch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Tevans to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Below in my signature are links to many others that will have information for your Newmar.
Your furnace has a foil tube with a 12v fan in it that cycles with the furnace to push heat into your water bay tank area's.
Running your furnace should be ample to supply heat to bays and interior of your coach.
We have camped in 1* weather during winter months with out a problem as long as you have heater on and your LP tank is large enough to do it.
With the coach plugged all the time and when traveling the Bird System will keep all your batteries charged.
You both will be comfortable with the coach if it does get that cold have a insulated blanket of some type to place on the water bay plastic floor to keep any cold out of bay.
The switch for fan is as Gary pointed out needs to be on in cold temps only.
All the information for your coach is in this forum Newmar.
Take care of your wife and self enjoy the MH and safe travels.

Follow the instructions in this link to search for other info for your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The tank heater pads were optional in 2002, but, as others have posted, you will have the heat from the furnace.
I'm not sure where the switch for the optional pads would be as we don't have it.
The owners manual is so generic that it's really not very helpful.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Thanks all for the warm welcome and all the great info. I have already learned a lot just doing a little reading from you guys helpful directions. I did find a 03 Kountry Star Manuel on here today and it has helped tremendously.

Thanks again

Big T
Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #9

Tevans, sorry for all you troubles, chemo is not easy. We have to store our motorhome and winterize during the winter months. I just pump pink solution (buy at Wallmart) thru the lines and then pour some in the p traps when done. Takes about 4 gals and 30 minutes. There is a bypass valve for the hot water heater in the storage bay door next to the hot water heater. I Drain the hot water heater tank and leave the plug out until the next trip. I start in the Kitchen then go to the bathrooms and the washing machine last. Some have to also do a Ice Maker in the Frig. You can also get a lot of info on the RV.Net forum site about winterizing and other info about your Dutch Star.

Tags
dutch star, manual