Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
04 Dutch Star Ignition/battery problem

'04 Newmar 41' Dutch Star
Need schematic for ignition switch harness.
Will not crank without booster battery and house batteries on.
Had alternator problem in February and replaced it along with belts, water pump and 2 start 12v batteries. Mechanic was messing around with ignition trying to tighten it up to dash and left the key entry sideways.
No problem cranking after leaving shore power and full load on batteries.
Put into storage and after 5 days, ignition would not work.
Had ignition switch changed and bought all new house batteries. The mechanic this time left the ignition switch upside down.
Husband pulled it and bought another one and put it in and it is tight and key is right side up.
First time tried it and it cranked the coach with all new batteries.
Left and turned off batteries. Back in 4 days and it will not crank or even turn on the dash lights. Nothing. Turned on house batteries and used booster and it cranked. Have replaced Interstate batteries twice.
Totally at a loss as to what the problem is. Never had cranking batteries drop voltage this quick. Before all of this, the old batteries cranked without booster or house batteries.
The master cutoff switch makes no difference.
Seems to me if the voltage was low below 12v, the dash light would try to come on and the engine would try to turn over at least. As soon as it cranks with booster, voltage registers 13v on dash.
We have to have in storage with no electricity.
Have spent a fortune at $184 hour with 3 hr minimums with no repair. Have given up trying to find mobile help and will have to wait till shops get time.
In the meantime, we spend half a day at storage running engine or driving itevery 5 days.
Help. Have schematic of switch installed. Think maybe a wire was broken during the twisting and turning or wrong switch for harness.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2022, 10:57 AM   #2

Have to ask what chassis your coach is built on , Spartan or Freightliner , and what engine , Cummins or Caterpillar ?

The chassis battery disconnect relay (solenoid)has to be suspect , it may not be working properly.

Rather that going to storage every few days , why not disconnect the chassis battery ground cables ?
Old 09-04-2022, 07:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Skip. Our coach is on Spartan chassis. Cummins engine.
We did disconnect the negative wires from battery and it made no difference. It is like cranking is straight from house batteries and booster. Turn the key and nothing. Not a light, not a sound. I did put it on accessories and let the jacks down and back up. These batteries have been replaced twice and I found a picture of old batteries wired and new ones wired. There is a thin red wire. Connected to positive post that does not exist on the new ones. We have a solar charger that was working until this began and thinking it might be to that. Cannot get any help after mentioning ignition or battery problems.
We will disconnect negative wires again to be sure. Will post pictures in separate post. Thank you. Unfortunately we have aged out of traveling and will be selling when this is repaired. In the meantime our insurance went sky high and so did storage fee. Need to get this done.
Bld #602376
Old 09-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ignition/battery pictures

Pictures of before and after start batteries. First one is new batteries. 2d one shows small red wire not there any longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220225_153149.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	375354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211015_170458_resized(4).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	375355  

Bld #602376
Old 09-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #5

Follow the negetive to its other end and check for good clean connection.

Jump out master disconnect, could be bad.

If it starts with boost switch, the ignition switch is fine.

Chassis batteries are not connecting, it has to be in the large cables or end connections.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

I 've blown up your picture of the original batteries and the red wire goes to an in-line fuse holder ; BUT ; I cannot see a wire exiting the holder , if the battery installer couldn't find a wire the fuse holder attached to , he probably just left the fuse holder out during the install. Yellow box added to your photo.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #7

More questions .

Is your coach equipped with a chassis battery disconnect switch , alongside the coach battery disconnect switch ?

My coach doesn't have a chassis battery disconnect relay , so I'm guessing on a possible location .

This photo is the back wall of my power cable compartment and the relay in the yellow circle is the coach battery disconnect relay .
Do you see a second similar relay in the power cable compartment ?
There maybe a panel Velcoed in place over the wiring and other equipment .

A second thought.
With the battery tray rolled out ;
Are you able to look closely behind the chassis batteries to see if the red wire and fuse holder is laying in the bottom of the battery compartment , look through the gap under the battery tray too.
The missing red wire and fuse could be the power wire to a chassis battery disconnect switch and without it the disconnect relay never gets the signal to reconnect.

EDIT: You've been disconnecting the batteries , did you do a voltage test on the batteries before re-connecting ?
Do you have a multi-meter for testing voltage ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217 - Copy.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	375363  
Old 09-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, Twin boat and Skip. I have thought all along that the red wire was the problem since we didn't have this problem with old batteries. Thinking could also be the master switch. Will also check the power compartment for another switch. I do have voltmeter and I do know how to use it. I can't remember if we checked voltage at chassis
battery not. Just know it didn't work.
Problem here is my husband has never touched a wire or tried to fix anything mechanical. He will fix things like leaks
He won't hold a wire not even connected to anything.
Until now, I did trouble shooting and with Newmar and Spartan here have found the problem. Have found mobile mechanics know less about our motorhome than I do. Our mechanic is backed up and our shop no longer does chassis work plus will not take anything in over 10 years old.
Thank you so much. I think we are on the right track and I Will see if I can get one of my sons here to help me with the physical part and at least eliminate some problems. Will let you know. Will check all suggestions and get back to you.
Bld #602376
Old 09-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Checked batteries disconnected from wiring and voltage is 9.7v on one and 7 v other other one. Replaced wires and found red wire that was not in pictures. It contained in line fuse that was good. Then went to master switch. Red wire in black wire out. Switched off no voltage. Switched on and voltage was 6.9v.
We checked voltage on dash on September 2nd, 4 days before that read 13 volts with house batteries on.
Received return call from RV service and said they do not work on ignition problems. Same answer everywhere. So much work and not enough techs, they can choose type of work for same hourly rate.
Have a backyard mechanic willing to look at it and see if he can find the problem. Mechanics have caused the problem to begin with. I still think the batteries are no good or a wire from ignition cluster was damaged with all of the twisting to tighten onto the dash. It is unreal how much we have had to deal with from Mechanics who don't know what they are doing or don't care.
Don't know what our next move is. Batteries should not lose that much voltage in 4 days. We did not even attempt to crank it. Another day.
Any suggestions now as to what to do?
Bld #602376
Old 09-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #10

The batteries have to be removed for charging and load testing .

JMHO ; they're shot.

A charged battery, disconnected , at rest shouldn't loose any voltage in 3 or 4 days .
Old 09-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
04 Dutch Star Ignition/Battery problem

Skip you are right. I thought all along the batteries were the problem but they were new and just traded another new pair for these.
Returned Interstate Batteries to dealer, only one here in Georgia, and was 44 miles away. We were told if they did not hold charge again, they would not exchange them again.

We connected the batteries up yesterday after 4 days of sitting with no load. They actually went up a little in voltage from 12.6 to 12.9 and 12.5 to 12.8. Turned on ignition and it cranked up like a champ. Keeping fingers, toes, and knees crossed that there is nothing drawing power from the batteries and causing the problem. At least we know it is not the ignition. Will go back tomorrow and check voltage. When we left, they were 13.5v and 14v. We had let the motor and generator run for about 1/2 hour.

If there is a load it is coming from inverter, as it has a yellow light that stays on with all batteries turned off at panel and at master switch and breaker on inverter tripped.

Thanks to all of you. Hopefully, we can now put this on the market as we have aged out and afraid to drive it any longer. Trying to clean out all of the STUFF we put in it and now the house is cluttered with nowhere to put it all.
Sure will miss you guys and all of your helpful knowledge.

Sad but moving on. Thanks again.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow.
Bld #602376
Old 09-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #12

The 13.5 & 14 volt readings are surface charge due to engine and genset being run . That will dissipate down to 12.7 /12.8 shortly after charging is stopped .

More at this web site and in this pdf from Newmar .

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bird system info.pdf (1.54 MB, 7 views)
Old 09-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ignition/battery problem

Spoke too soon. New batteries from Interstate dropped voltage and back to using booster. Now won't hold charge. After 3 days, voltage at 2v. Have FMCA road service. Called to get jump start and have waited for 2 days. First day I cancelled after 2 hours after text said up to 4 hours. Told service to tell mechanic to text when he is 20 min away and this day did not get text at all. Sat 2 more hours in running auto to keep.oxygen going. It was getting late when I called and was told he was on his way ETA 20 min.
Terrible experience, rude, mocking employees. I was told he was given the wrong number. Could not reach me and turned around and went back.
We have disconnected the batteries, only 2 weeks old and will take to be tested and charged it find our own service and submit invoice for reimbursement.
We are tired. I will be glad when we sell and no longer have to deal with repairmen who are not like they used to be. Just gouging and rudeness and not worth it.
What batteries do you suggest we try now? Had always had faith in Interstate until this and reading feedbacks. I still believe something in the ignition wiring has been damaged by rough treatment and being twisted so much. Can't get mobile help to test.
Just tired..
Old 09-30-2022, 09:47 PM   #14

Yours is one of those issues that drives me crazy ; due to my inability to provide a resolution ;

There has to be some kind of failure in the system that should prevent the chassis battery from being drawn down .

I'll re-read all what's been posted/done, so far ; and start scratching my head about what we could possibly have missed .

I can't believe the batteries won't hold a charge after a single drawn dead cycle ; but ; unfortunately don't believe a change of brand is the answer.

I'll be back.

Tags
battery, dutch star, ignition, problem