Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

04 MADP rear marker lights replacement

Flush mount rear markers need replaced, can’t figure out how to get them out.
I am pulling hard as I dare, if one breaks and falls down into the rear cap I am screwed.
Any one replaced these?

The replacements come with 2 pieces per light.
Grote 45712 is base and lens.
Grote 68380 is harness with bulb.

Any suggestions appreciated!
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

I have the same coach. Mine twist first, then pull out. As I recall I tried to twist several until I found one that twisted easily which told me which way to twist. It has been a while so I don't know off hand which way to twist. This is for the tail lights which are accessed in the engine area. I believe my flush mounted clearance lights have screws.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I have the same coach. Mine twist first, then pull out. As I recall I tried to twist several until I found one that twisted easily which told me which way to twist. It has been a while so I don't know off hand which way to twist. This is for the tail lights which are accessed in the engine area. I believe my flush mounted clearance lights have screws.
Thanks for the reply. Markers do have screws (2 ea), I have the screws out, lens is off, no traditional bulb, 2 tiny led (?). I pull and twist the white soft plastic base but, no joy. I can just see where the two pieces join but it doesn’t come out.

Guess I will have to get more aggressive and deal with the consequences later.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

Here’s a pic.
Looking at it again maybe the center piece (with the bulb) pulls out first?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B58BF23-F7D7-460E-9AF0-E3B4749268D2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	284972  
Old 05-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

The bulb receptacle quarter twists counter clockwise and then pulls out.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The bulb receptacle quarter twists counter clockwise and then pulls out.
Thanks very much!

Old lights are heavily siliconed, in your opinion is silicone the best way to seal? Or are there other more effective sealers you would recommend?
Old 05-11-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

yes, silicone is fine. That is what Newmar uses.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #8

My 2003 Dutchstar uses a Grote that on the outside looks like the picture you posted but is a different part. You said there were two LED chips under the cover which is what I have. That is part number 47262. The LED portion is plastic welded to the base and not replaceable. You have to replace the entire assembly.

47262w/out Bezel

https://www.grote.com/signal-lightin...-lights/47262/

On mine Newmar used a thin foam gasket behind the base and then silicone over the top edge and down the sides. I was able to get new gaskets from Newmar.

I think they are just stuck in place, maybe a plastic putty knife to gently start loosing them once all the silicone is removed. Mine pulled straight out.

Dave
Old 05-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

[QUOTE=AZDave;5258658]My 2003 Dutchstar uses a Grote that on the outside looks like the picture you posted but is a different part. You said there were two LED chips under the cover which is what I have. That is part number 47262. The LED portion is plastic welded to the base and not replaceable. You have to replace the entire assembly.

47262w/out Bezel

https://www.grote.com/signal-lightin...-lights/47262/

On mine Newmar used a thin foam gasket behind the base and then silicone over the top edge and down the sides. I was able to get new gaskets from Newmar.

AZ Dave,
Thanks for the information, your description of the light is what I have.
I hope the OE ones in mine have those convenient plugs on the ends. Will save me from soldering up on a ladder!

I ordered the Grote part # that was on the OE lens and wasn't expecting the 2 piece assembly. Maybe the LED chip style are discontinued? I am assuming the C193 incandescent bulb that came with the assembly will work.

The foam gasket on mine was reduced to powder, (probably styrofoam originally). No gasket included with the assembly. Hoping silicone on the base, in the screw holes and around the perimeter of the lens will be sufficient?
Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 AM   #10

The lens cover is the same for both the incandescent bulb version and the LED version. So they must have made a guess as to which to send, I believe either one will fit in the same hole.

Yes my gaskets were old and brittle as well. The Grote parts do not have a gasket. The gasket was made and installed by Newmar. I was able to get the gaskets from Newmar (part # 55901) but it has been awhile.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #11

Thanks for the part # and information, appreciate it!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

AZ,
Your part # is the correct one, the lights I have won’t work, the assembly doesn’t recess deep enough, bulb protrudes too much for lens to install. My mistake to order off lens cover pt #.
After pulling wires out about 8” I don’t see the male plugs. Could they be hung up or maybe they are wired differently? At 16 years old the could have been replaced in the past and not original.

There is a white rubber like piece that the wires pass through on the inside of the rear cap. Should that come out? 4 openings have the white rubber, far right (curb side) has nothing, just a hole the assembly was in and connected via a crimp connection.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #13

I did not have any white stuff that the wires went through. Probably some kind of sealer. Mine were all open like your right side one. As I remember I had to cut and crimp splice all the lights.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDave View Post
I did not have any white stuff that the wires went through. Probably some kind of sealer. Mine were all open like your right side one. As I remember I had to cut and crimp splice all the lights.
AZ Dave,
Thanks for reply! Waiting on new lights now, ordered from Advanced Auto Parts, price was better than Amazon with the same lead time.

I will silicone the heck out of these lights so don’t anticipate a leak but........
If these lights leak is the water contained in the cap? Or, can it migrate into the bedroom?

Tags
ace, light, lights, replace, replacement