Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

'05 Mountain Aire wiper arm removal question

I'm going around the coach detailing things and generally getting small things sorted out. One of the things I have to do is remove the wiper arms, treat surface rust in spots on my wiper arms, repaint and remount them. I've read in some posts while searching that the wiper arms aren't permanently splined in steel as cars are, but rather they are lined in the hub that mounts to the shaft in a soft lead or lead like material and smooth, and when mounted and tightened the wiper shaft splines impress themselves into the soft lead like material, making a one time only tight fit. I have read that once you remove the arms, it's difficult if not impossible to get a tight fit upon remounting a used arm back onto the coach. Some posts, however, make no mention of this odd situation at all.

That said, has anyone ever removed the wiper arms from a Mountain Aire or similar Newmar of my era? Is there a permanent spline in the arm or is it a one and done, have to buy a new arm situation? I'm reluctant to remove the arms for repaint unless I know I'll be able to remount them for sure.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wiper arms failed about 6 months after they were removed when I had my windshield changed. It was not difficult to change the arms and they weren't that expensive at the time. The people at Diesel Equipment were very helpful. Wiper Technologies, Diesel Equipment was sold to Global products recently. I would call them to ask if they are pressed on or splined and get a price on new arms.

Global Products LLC | PO Box 2883 | 601 South Main Street | Elkhart, IN 46515 | 833-WIPERS1
Old 01-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #3

I think if you note exactly the position your arms are installed now and reindex them exactly the same, you will be ok. Make sure and torque the hold down bolts several times. On my 21 DS, I have read that the torque is 75ft lbs. I checked mine after I picked up my coach after driving 11,000 miles and traveling through rain many times and they were loose. I torqued them down several times and each time they needed tightening a little more until they quit seating any longer.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #4

I taped mine off and papered the front of the coach and painted them on the coach.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
I think if you note exactly the position your arms are installed now and reindex them exactly the same, you will be ok. Make sure and torque the hold down bolts several times. On my 21 DS, I have read that the torque is 75ft lbs. I checked mine after I picked up my coach after driving 11,000 miles and traveling through rain many times and they were loose. I torqued them down several times and each time they needed tightening a little more until they quit seating any longer.
There is no reindexing them. The thread on the spline is too fine and the metal in the barrel is too soft. The dealer removed mine for the windshield replacement and it failed 6 months later. You may be lucky, but I wouldn't take them off unless I planned on replacing them. When it fails it strips out the barrel and the best thing to do is take it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0758.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	352818  
Old 01-02-2022, 11:25 PM   #6

If I understand correctly, buying and installing new ones is not an issue? They'll index correctly and work as the ones on there work now?
Old 01-03-2022, 04:28 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
If I understand correctly, buying and installing new ones is not an issue? They'll index correctly and work as the ones on there work now?
Call the phone number I posted above. They were very helpful when I talked with them. They can tell you the type of wiper arm that you have on your coach. If wiper arms are the same as the current models, the barrel in the wiper arm is smooth and the spline cuts grooves into the barrel as it is torqued. It is important to put the arm in the same position that it is now since the fine groves in the spline make it difficult to get it in the same groves if removed and remounted.

Tags
air, mountain aire, removal