Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

'07 Essex AC Problem

So this could be the start of something awful.... one of my AC units is now tripping the ckt breaker. Fans will run but breaker trips when the compressor tries to start.

Yes I do have the E-Plex system but everything seems to be working as it should.

Where do I start? I believe these are the original Penguin 15K heat pump units that came with the coach, but I see receipts for adding the 'hard starting kit' so I assume the starting capacitor mod was done.

Anyone have a troubleshooting guide?
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try running the unit by 1st turning the temp up to 90 -- then turn on the high cool. After the fan runs for about 30 sec slide the temp slowly down to 70 deg. It it still trips try the same method when using the Gen. This process will help determine if it is a bad blower motor causing the amp spike or if it is the compressor. Or possibly low shore voltage causing the Tripped breaker.
TexasBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
A third but unlikely cause is a bad breaker. It is extremely rare but can happen. If you're comfortable enough, you can put a meter on the breaker and turn on the AC to see what amps are being pulled. If it trips without pulling the amperage rating of the breaker, then replace the breaker. If it pulls more amps than rated, you've likely have a bad compressor. In the dozens of times I have done this for people, I don't think I've changed more than one or two breakers.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #4

Ohm out the compressor. It may be burnt out. You should get a small resistance between each pin on the compressor. They do vary usually between 1 and 7 ohms. Also between each pin to ground. The copper pipe on the compressor is a good ground. You should also try a new hard start. However it is likely a siezed compressor.

Circuit breakers do fail as well. Not often but they do fail.

Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
So this could be the start of something awful.... one of my AC units is now tripping the ckt breaker. Fans will run but breaker trips when the compressor tries to start.

Yes I do have the E-Plex system but everything seems to be working as it should.

Where do I start? I believe these are the original Penguin 15K heat pump units that came with the coach, but I see receipts for adding the 'hard starting kit' so I assume the starting capacitor mod was done.

Anyone have a troubleshooting guide?
If it's a Hard Start Kit I would go with that. Have someone reverse it if possible by removing it. If it's the simple two wire, just remove the two wires from the original capacitor, but make sure you discharge it by shorting the three different tabs on top with a insulated pliers or screwdriver.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #6

So after some investigation it looks like the compressor is kaput. And awaaay we go... !

Isn't there an issue with the Penguin II units and the E-plex interface being different than for the original Penguin units?
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essex, problem