Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Hey everyone. Just bought my first rv. It's an 07 Essex and I can't find the answers to these in the manuals.

Need to adjust the arms on the outside mirrors. Any secrets?

What is the switch for that is labeled "ATC".

When trying to program the auto genset start, I tried pressing the "Pref" on the panel above the driver. Nothing happens. Is there a secret code to get into the parameters of this?

I'm sure I'll have more, but these are what I'm up to.

Thanks
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #2

Hey everyone. Just bought my first rv. It's an 07 Essex and I can't find the answers to these in the manuals.

Need to adjust the arms on the outside mirrors. Any secrets?

What is the switch for that is labeled "ATC".

When trying to program the auto genset start, I tried pressing the "Pref" on the panel above the driver. Nothing happens. Is there a secret code to get into the parameters of this?

I'm sure I'll have more, but these are what I'm up to.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #3

Wow, not too shabby first RV! Congratulations.

Essex owners can answer better than I, but I'll
try a couple:

Mirror arm should be moved by loosening a nut
under a chrome cap where the arm starts.

ATC is Automatic Traction Control

Don't know about the auto gen start.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 09-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
OldHiker, we have several Essex owners here, and I'm sure they will check in soon.

They are most helpful.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #5

Surprised you need to adjust the mirror arms... Tall step ladder to loosen the friction pivot bolt

ATC - I am guessing you are talking about the ATC Over Ride (Automatic Traction Control) override switch to disable the electronic traction control on the differential...

Hold the pref button for 5+ seconds to enter the preferences mode. Then keep arrowing up/down to scroll through the entire menu...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Keep that step ladder handy,as you'll need it to adjust those mirrors after a long day of driving in the wind...The mirrors,especially the driver's side, "blow out" when in the wind.

Or maybe I was going a little faster than normal?

Had to actually use the ATC override in a campground of all places...Was up in PA with the "pond piggie" group near Mercer,PA and left the morning after a pretty good gully washer...Drive wheels were slipping and the ATC bell was dinging. Held the button and bogged right on out.
Jeff's "five second rule" is as I recall from my BBT,I mean.....Essex days. (Sorry George and Carol!!).
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or maybe I was going a little faster than normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No comment.

One of my mirrors "blew out", and after Newmar tightened it, it has been fine.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Need to adjust the arms on the outside mirrors </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Congrats on your purchase of a new Motor Home! Keep us posted on all of your adventures. The nut should be visible when you climb up a ladder. It is on top of the Arm where the mirror Arm pivots. Use a heavy duty socket set. After you retighten it make sure you really pull hard on the socket wrench. It takes big ones to tighten that nut enough, so the mirror does not move in the wind. Make sure that you try not to extend the arms out to far. You want them as close to the coach as possible. If not, you may end up introducing one of your mirrors to a toll booth somewhere. (I did on our first coach) Paul
Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #9

I had mine torqued twice by Newmar. With wind blowing from 2 o'clock at 30/35 knots (which is very strong) driving at 72 MPH, I still blew them out four times that day. In heavy winds with heavy foot, it is not correctable at this time. Second thought, don't get me started on the '07 mirror design.

Peter
Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Peter, you as well as the rest of us don't need anyone to get us started on the mirror problems, as we are self starting on that issue.

For '08 the DSDP has the mirrors back down where they belong.

Unfortunately, all of the highline coaches have a front cap design that precludes a low mount mirror.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #11

FWIW - after 12,000 heavy footed miles in the Kansas and Great Plains crosswinds, never had a mirror blow out yet...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #12

The problem was that I could only see 2/3 of the rs mirror. The right side was behind the windshield pillar. I managed to loosen and hopefully tighten. Does anyone have the torque setting? But the lower screw does nothing. I want to angle the mirror itself out, but can't move it at all. I'm assuming that the screw that is exposed controls the movement of the actual mirror assy.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldHiker:
The problem was that I could only see 2/3 of the rs mirror. The right side was behind the windshield pillar. I managed to loosen and hopefully tighten. Does anyone have the torque setting? But the lower screw does nothing. I want to angle the mirror itself out, but can't move it at all. I'm assuming that the screw that is exposed controls the movement of the actual mirror assy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OldHiker,
Congrats on your new Essex. There is a Alan key on the side that controls the pivot. You have to loosen it a lot to get the pivot to move. I had the same problem on my 2008 MA you will have to move the mirror forward and pivot the head out to clear the pillar post. Get someone to move it around while your in the seat. Good Luck with your new coach.
Thanks, Daryl

2008 MADP 4521
2006 Acura TL Toad
Old 09-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Same here....had to pivot the passenger side arm out ever so little to enable me to see the entire surface area of the mirror.
As someone mentioned, be cognizant that every inch you pivot it away from the coach increases the chance you'll smack something with it...
Some have also said that adding a flat washer or two to the bolt in the top of the mirrors gives it a little more grab power...

My latest issue is where the wipers "park" themselves....I've had them adjusted twice in Nappanee and they seem to work their way back down on the window frame over time which creates that annoying....."swipe...thud...swipe" action every pass of the wiper.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote