Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
07 Kountry Star 3623 just listed Nice!

With 18,000 miles for 85k! Sweet coach but one year too old for my spec. Worth a look for anyone in this market:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...-alert-listing
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for sharing the information. It is a nice looking ride.

I am curious why you have a cut off date and will not consider anything 07 or older. Was there a major engine change or other mechanical feature that changed with the 08 and newer models?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Thank you for sharing the information. It is a nice looking ride.

I am curious why you have a cut off date and will not consider anything 07 or older. Was there a major engine change or other mechanical feature that changed with the 08 and newer models?
Mainly just comfort drive which started in 2008. Im struggling with that decision right now though given the value in this coach. Not sure comfort drive is important enough to pass this one up. It hits everything else on my list. There is a tempting Foretravel that is very similar but twice the price and twice the milage.

This coach is on the Spartan Mountain Master IFS side radiator chassis, ISC motor, the right floor plan, the right features....if it was closer Id be scheduling a drive. Ive seen threads on whether comfort drive is that big a deal” and it seems about 80/20 in favor and while I haven't had the pleasure, Ive studied it and based on my experiences its something Id prefer in my next coach.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

07 must have been a “split “ year for windshields! I thought only 08 had 1 piece. Most 07s are 2 pc. Not that it may matter but 08s have flat panel (still very heavy) TVs.
That’s a real nice unit though!
Old 11-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
07 must have been a “split “ year for windshields! I thought only 08 had 1 piece. Most 07s are 2 pc. Not that it may matter but 08s have flat panel (still very heavy) TVs.
That’s a real nice unit though!
I just read your sig - what model KS do you have?

My interests are in an IFS chassis (Spartan in this case) a Cummins ISC or ISL, and Comfort Drive in a package smaller than the 37 series DS models which are actually 38’.

Beyond that I like a split bath and two bath sinks is a bonus as are such things as washer/dryer, ice maker, and the old style booth dinette. So this coach hits everything on my list but CD.

Initially I was going to pass on this one because its an ‘07, so I posted it here in case anyone was interested. But it has started really growing on me and now Im scheduled to talk to the seller tomorrow with a long list of specific questions.

Since you have an 08 KS with CD, what are your thoughts on this unit without it? Another member stated in another thread I started that IFS without CD was probably better than a straight axle (Ventana) with CD. Thoughts on that?

Also does your KS also have a compression brake or only the VG turbo exhaust brake?

A lot of questions I know but as soon as I saw you have an ‘08 KS I realized you could be a great source of info.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you certain this coach does not have Comfort Drive?
A close up view of the dashboard shows a turn knob next to the headlight switch. There are no markings on it but it looks exactly like a Comfort Drive knob. It may just be a dimmer control for the dash lights.
I know nothing about the 07 08 KSDP but it may be worth researching a little more.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Mainly just comfort drive which started in 2008. .
That’s a really good reason. Thanks for the reply.

Has CD evolved over time so there’s a 1st generation, 2nd generation etc?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
TAH

I have 08KS 3916 with CD. Previous coach did not. CD is a great improvement in driving and especially backing. My 08 does not have knob for adjustments, but is still superior than without CD
TAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #9

07 Kountry Star 3623 just listed Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I just read your sig - what model KS do you have?

My interests are in an IFS chassis (Spartan in this case) a Cummins ISC or ISL, and Comfort Drive in a package smaller than the 37 series DS models which are actually 38’.

Beyond that I like a split bath and two bath sinks is a bonus as are such things as washer/dryer, ice maker, and the old style booth dinette. So this coach hits everything on my list but CD.

Initially I was going to pass on this one because its an ‘07, so I posted it here in case anyone was interested. But it has started really growing on me and now Im scheduled to talk to the seller tomorrow with a long list of specific questions.

Since you have an 08 KS with CD, what are your thoughts on this unit without it? Another member stated in another thread I started that IFS without CD was probably better than a straight axle (Ventana) with CD. Thoughts on that?

Also does your KS also have a compression brake or only the VG turbo exhaust brake?

A lot of questions I know but as soon as I saw you have an ‘08 KS I realized you could be a great source of info.

Thanks!

Ours is a 3910.
It has a 400 isl with engine brake. The switch is a on/off only although the engine brake has 2 automatic kick in points when turned on.
We have table and chair set up for dining.
This is our 1st diesel, I’ve never driven one without CD, so I might not be the best one to ask but I can offer some insight.
1st off the little black CD knob is not a CD knob ! It’s the dash light dimmer! I have no idea why they just didn’t use the one built into the headlamp switch ! Perhaps they were going to install the adjustable CD system then changed their mind.
CD in the 08 is preset to 1 position. There is no adjustment as in all other models. I’ve been told it’s at #3.
CD is a great option, ( again I’ve never driven a DP without one) I can drive with one hand on the wheel on open hiway with no stress. Backing up is a bit simpler in that the wheels straighten themselves. The downside is in gravel or soft surfaces this can cause the front tires to dig in if your not rolling while the steering returns to center.
Our 3910 has a split bath. Toilet and 1 sink in a water closet. Shower and another sink in hall between bedroom and front salon.
Efficient use of space and you can wash up before you leave the toilet.
There are many who swear by CD and others who are very content without.
That 07 looks like a very nice unit. Are there any non-CD units you can test that are close?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

FYI on the “stickies” in this Newmar Owners forum, there is one specific to Comfort Drive by Ken Sherwin. He has a pdf you can download with a wealth of facts about CD. I strongly suggest you read it and decide if it’s something that make or breaks your decision on this unit your looking at.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty sure the knob is for dimming of instrument lighting.
Nothing in the brochure about Comfort Drive.

https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...sel-pusher.pdf

I've never driven CD. IFS handles pretty well in my old coach. Happy with our Spartan Mountain Master chassis and happy with the service we get at the Spartan Factory Service Center.

Best of luck in your search. Pretty hard to go wrong with a Newmar IMHO.

Cheers
Old 11-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
FYI on the “stickies” in this Newmar Owners forum, there is one specific to Comfort Drive by Ken Sherwin. He has a pdf you can download with a wealth of facts about CD. I strongly suggest you read it and decide if it’s something that make or breaks your decision on this unit your looking at.
Read every word of that and yes its quite compelling, but so are many other things about the coach in question
Old 11-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Pretty sure the knob is for dimming of instrument lighting.
Nothing in the brochure about Comfort Drive.

https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...sel-pusher.pdf

I've never driven CD. IFS handles pretty well in my old coach. Happy with our Spartan Mountain Master chassis and happy with the service we get at the Spartan Factory Service Center.

Best of luck in your search. Pretty hard to go wrong with a Newmar IMHO.

Cheers
Maybe possible if its a really late ‘07. I didn't thing to ask when I spoke to the dealership owner today. Ill ask tomorrow. If it does thats going to accelerate things considerably.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A more important question for me would be the existence or absence of emission controls on the diesel engine. The early diesel emission controls were poorly designed and caused many problems with our former MH. I love the Comfort Drive in our current coach but I would easily take a 2007 coach without CD over a 2008 coach with diesel emission controls.
——— Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote