Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

1/2 Bath Sink Stopper

The sink stopper in the rear bath of my 2015 4018 DS works just fine by pushing down to stop then push down again to raise the stopper. However, the one in the 1/2 bath will lock down but not enough clearance in the bottom of the glass bowl for a second push down to raise it. I have to get my finger nails around the edge of the metal part, pull up on it, then pushing down again will let it raise in order to drain the bowl.

Does this sound familiar for anyone else in the same situation? Kind of wondering if Newmar has failed to allow enough room when plumbing this sink bowl. If so, won't be the first foul up on our coach.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The sink stopper in the rear bath of my 2015 4018 DS works just fine by pushing down to stop then push down again to raise the stopper. However, the one in the 1/2 bath will lock down but not enough clearance in the bottom of the glass bowl for a second push down to raise it. I have to get my finger nails around the edge of the metal part, pull up on it, then pushing down again will let it raise in order to drain the bowl.

Does this sound familiar for anyone else in the same situation? Kind of wondering if Newmar has failed to allow enough room when plumbing this sink bowl. If so, won't be the first foul up on our coach.

I assume you have the same green glass vessel sink as my Ventana has?

The stopper cases and opens with an easy click. Plenty of clearance - a good 1/16" or more. Something is misaligned on yours.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I'm in my 2015 DS4018 right now and I just checked. Mine has enough clearance when it's in the down position to push it enough to release it back up. No issues.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

Thanks for that information. Guess this is one more screw up by Newmar I'll have to add to the list. From Newmar's reputation I was hoping that when I got rid of my 11 year old coach I'd be getting a decent replacement. Should have taken the hint at the first goof before we even paid for the coach. Sounds like Irose44 and we are having about the same run of luck, maybe the same run through the factory line.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen.....we've spoken many times and you're killing me! My first thought was that I can't think of any time in my ownership of an RV that I've used the sink stopper, except in the kitchen. I have the half bath and can't imagine using the sink stopper there because there isn't much sink to stop up!

With that said, I guess they changed the stoppers because both my sinks use the push pull arm. I do know that most of the stoppers that push once to close and push again to open are usually adjustable with a nut on the underside or often are dry and need to be lubricated. I think it's an easy fix.

I know you've been frustrated, but to say a sink stopper is an indication of poor quality is a little out there. You need to start using/enjoying the coach and take these small issues in stride or you'll never enjoy your new purchase.

Put some miles on that thing......enjoy the many features it has that your other coach didn't and quit agonizing over something as inconsequential as a sink stopper. You're going to give yourself an ulcer before the first oil change.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

I have three of the new ones. One doesn't work properly but you can adjust it by turning it counterclockwise try turning it about a turn and see if that don't fix it
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

I am not saying that this is indicative of poor quality, but to answer the OPs question, yes, we had the exact same problem in our 2015 DS 4312.

Once it was in the down position sometimes I'd have to completely unscrew it and push the stopper mechanism with a pen or screwdriver to get it to pop back up. Somebody asked why we would close it to begin with? Mostly when we were cleaning the vessel sink.

In our opinion vessel sinks look great but may not be the most practical anyway. We ordered our 2016 DS with a regular sink as a "special" in the half bath.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
I am not saying that this is indicative of poor quality, but to answer the OPs question, yes, we had the exact same problem in our 2015 DS 4312.

Once it was in the down position sometimes I'd have to completely unscrew it and push the stopper mechanism with a pen or screwdriver to get it to pop back up. Somebody asked why we would close it to begin with? Mostly when we were cleaning the vessel sink.

In our opinion vessel sinks look great but may not be the most practical anyway. We ordered our 2016 DS with a regular sink as a "special" in the half bath.
You got that right, it's usually when the wife is cleaning the bath rooms that she likes soapy water held in the sinks. I hardly every even use the sink in the 1/2 bath.
I probably used the wrong term for the problem, should have been poor workmanship that should have been caught at the factory. Course a person could say we should have caught it during the time we spent at the dealership but we didn't.
I'll try turning the stopper counterclockwise and see if it gives any more room at the bottom.
I know we're being somewhat nickpicky on this coach but after paying a quarter million dollars for it I guess we niavely expected a little more perfection. Being almost 3 times what we've ever paid for a motor home still has us wondering just what we've gotten for our money. Probably the fellow with the flooded King Aire was thinking the same thing.
I'll try to quit finding fault with the coach and enjoy but it's sort of hard to do when things just keep cropping up. For now the Fantastic Fans in both baths will go up sometimes when the switch is pushed, sometimes nothing happens, and other times the wheel handle has to be turned by hand to get it to start rising up. Always a surprise around every corner.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe you need to adjust the temp knob on the fan so it knows that it needs to operate to cool the coach, if its adjusted to high its not going to open vent to cool when it reaches your set temp the fan will shut off but vent will remain open unless the rain sensor senses rain than will close.
When heat builds up the fan will come back on, vent will open and cool again until it hits your set temp you set it for, it does what you request it to do, your the boss.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I can't believe a consumer would actually post such negative slander of a manufacturer over a sink stopper. Absolutely ridiculous!

Newmar customer service reps must have thick skin. I read posts in other areas such as Thor owners and they are complaining about water leaking everywhere and causing mould (not hating on you Thor owners). Your drain isn't broken, it's an adjustment! A matter of two minutes for the average person. Your post reveals how little you know about such remedial tasks.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
To the OP....listen to " THE DON". Are you telling me nothing like this ever happens in your home?..or your car? Gimmie a break! Anything mechanical can break or get out of adjustment....just go fix it and enjoy your travels.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
For now the Fantastic Fans in both baths will go up sometimes when the switch is pushed, sometimes nothing happens, and other times the wheel handle has to be turned by hand to get it to start rising up. Always a surprise around every corner.
Hi Wagonmaster,

I had the issue with my master bath Fantastic Fan during my trip last week. I think it might have something to do with the rain sensor and having moisture on them at certain times of the day (morning dew?). I tested it out and when I tried to open the fan during the morning, it didn't work. When I tried to open it during mid-day, it did work. I'm suspecting that it dried off by that time??? As I recall, it didn't work on two occasions. At this point, I'll chalk it up to working as design for now.

Have you tried to do any cause and effect testing?

-Tom
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #13

Wagonmaster,

I think Tom is spot on regarding his comments about the exhaust fans. My model of the 2015 Dutch Star did not have a temperature adjustment for either bath fan. But they did have a humidistat or rain sensor. As much as I would nag the kids about turning on the exhaust fan prior to entering the shower, you know how kids are. There were many times that I would enter the bathroom after one of these long hot showers and I was unable to turn on the fan by pushing the button. Actually, if I remember correctly, there was a red blinking light in one of the corners. Anyway, a quick manual twist of the knob would solve the problem. I do not recall having this problem in the front half bath, due to no shower. I am not very tall and realize that this job will be a little more difficult in our new 2016 (due to higher ceilings). I can hope that the kids might remember to turn on the fan to alleviate this problem.

My guess is that your fans are functioning per design. Now that I am thinking about it, does anybody know how to turn off the humidity sensor in these fans? I assume that the majority of us have the max air vent covers installed. I may have to look into doing that.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

Is it possible to shut off the rain sensor? That would be a simple fast test.