Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

110v Heat Pads on Holding Tanks

When first looking at these 110v heat pads for holding tanks as an option I thought it would be a wise and useful option.
When I started thinking about it further I wondered if they really aren't needed in normal camping experiences.

We do occasionally camp when temps go below freezing but my worry isn't the holding tanks freezing, it's the fresh water lines and components.
In my thinking it would take some pretty cold temps to freeze any water in the holding tanks and being such large capacity tanks there is plenty of space for the ice to expand if they ever did.

So my question is, do you think these heating pads are a worth getting or are they really not necessary in most instances?
I know the cost isn't large but still don't want to throw away money on a feature that isn't necessary.
Pikkleballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to paisleytime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikkleballer View Post
When first looking at these 110v heat pads for holding tanks as an option I thought it would be a wise and useful option.

When I started thinking about it further I wondered if they really aren't needed in normal camping experiences.

We do occasionally camp when temps go below freezing but my worry isn't the holding tanks freezing, it's the fresh water lines and components.

In my thinking it would take some pretty cold temps to freeze any water in the holding tanks and being such large capacity tanks there is plenty of space for the ice to expand if they ever did.

So my question is, do you think these heating pads are a worth getting or are they really not necessary in most instances?

I know the cost isn't large but still don't want to throw away money on a feature that isn't necessary.

We just spent 7 days skiing in Utah, in out 17 Ventana LE. Most nights were 8-12 deg for lows, and the highs were around 40, but most of the day was at or below freezing. Absolutely no problems with any tanks freezing. I ran a small 250w heater in the wet bay most nights. One night I turned it off and the thermometer was still well above freezing due to the furnace heating the basement. I ran the furnace at 56-58 overnight. We even used the W/D throughout- these lines are not exposed to freezing temps. These Newmar’s are well built- you’ll have no problems in normal winter weather if you add a little heat in the basement
Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #3

I'm getting ready to place an order for a Ventana and had the same question.

It's all the pex tubing that is much more likely to freeze quickly and be damaged, I would think, so unless the heat pads generate enough heat to warm up the entire wet bay and protect the pex tubing, what's the point of having them?

If you have fluid in all three tanks and they have heat pads and are heated, does that provide enough heat (almost like hydronic heat then) to heat the entire wet bay. If so, then it would be a good backup in case your furnace or Oasis fails.

Hopefully you get an answer, because as I mentioned, I've been wrestling with the same question.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

If you order a coach with the Oasis system I don't think it is even an option now. Newmar realized no one was choosing it as the Oasis has a basement radiator.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

I don't believe there's any absolute answer, as the outcome will differ depending on the floor plan, specific weather conditions, and even what you have loaded in the basement, as that will influence air movement and heat loss to the outside. That said, any supplemental heat in the basement in freezing weather can't be a bad thing. We always opt for heated tanks.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

We just drove from RI to Gulf Shores Al last week when temps were single digit. I was concerned also with basement getting enough heat and I have heat pads on tanks, with that being said I kept furnace on while driving and every couple of hours turned on generator to heat pads. I also put a couple of thermometers 1 in wet bay 1 in another compartment and neither one went below 40degrees. I stressed about pipes freezing etc and I'm certainly glad I spent the extra $$ for heated pads.
I will tell you that the coach is extremely well insulated but then isn't that why you pay extra for a Newmar?
Don't nickel and dime the situation, also go for the heated floors well worth it.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

We are looking at a Canyon Star so this option would be on a gas chassis not a DP.
Pikkleballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

'16 38' Ventana here. We were in the teens over the thanksgiving week. We used the heating pads. I could feel the warmth through the floor where the tanks were located. (We don't have floor heating) I suggest getting the heating pads...
TRGarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
If nothing else, get them for resale value. Many potential buyers will insist on heated tanks.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #10

Are heating pads an option in 2018?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Are heating pads an option in 2018?
I think it's an option on models with LP furnace and a special that can be ordered with Oasis units. It's not listed as an option on LE units, but my understanding is it can be added as a special.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

Does the CS have the Oasis?

We are FT and just left TN where the temps were single digits overnight. We did no winterizing and everything worked fine. We did keep the Oasis on and the wet bay heater kept the tanks warm.

That said, I would get the pads anyway. How much are they?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Does the CS have the Oasis?

They do not. I can't imagine the heat pads are that expensive...?

Steve
Old 01-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the heat pads when it gets cold and they run off the inverter because I like being in parks or forests when the first snows come. The pads function when water tanks get below 40 degrees and cycle to maintain the warmth; the ME-BMK shows they draw up to 40 DC amps and down to 0 amps. I go 2 weeks between dumping holding tanks and late in that cycle the water level in the fresh water tank is low. I am free from worry about full water and cold vs low water and cold because of the heat pads and the inverter's AC power for them.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, tank