Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

115V block heater question.

I wish to find the circuit details for the block heater. (2014 Ventana) I can not find the switch for the block heater nor a receptacle it is plugged into. I find the circuit breaker only. My 2001 DSDP had both a switch in the upper passenger cabinet over the dash and a receptacle in the electric compartment. I wish to use this circuit for an additional basement receptacle on a separate circuit breaker for when we need heavy outside electric for cooking. THANKS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ted.....Unless yours is completely different than the Dutch Star, it's located in the engine bay. Lift the engine bay door and look up, it's just a little left of center. A few inches higher than the engine bay door hinge. There's an outlet there with the cord near buy. Neither my Diplomat or my Dutch Star had a switch. Just plug in the cord to operate.

If yours is the same as mine, it's mounted in an outlet box with knockouts. You could add some wiring and flexible pvc conduit and run an outlet into one of the bays at the rear of the coach, like the DEF tank bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

Thanks Don, I will look as soon as it gets light. We are here in Quartzsite at the Newmar 'Gathering in the Desert' Coking for about 50 coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Ted.....Unless yours is completely different than the Dutch Star, it's located in the engine bay. Lift the engine bay door and look up, it's just a little left of center. A few inches higher than the engine bay door hinge. There's an outlet there with the cord near buy. Neither my Diplomat or my Dutch Star had a switch. Just plug in the cord to operate.

If yours is the same as mine, it's mounted in an outlet box with knockouts. You could add some wiring and flexible pvc conduit and run an outlet into one of the bays at the rear of the coach, like the DEF tank bay.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ted.....on our Ventana, the receptacle is in the far rear drivers side compartment. No switch that I am aware of. Hope that helps.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

An interesting change, ours has a switch in the cabinet above the passenger seat for the block heater outlet.

Outlet is still in the same location.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

If I had to guess I would say the block heater is on a 15 amp dedicated circuit, which would be a good thing for an outside grill. Hopefully your outside cooking grill doesn't pull more than 15 amps. Things that generate heat use a lot of amps/watts so if your grill is under 15 amps (1800 watts) you should be good, as a general safety rule you need to give yourself a 10% fudge factor to these max amounts.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow.....I'm getting old..... I do have the switch in the cabinet above the passenger seat. I should have remembered we had the switch, I just used it in Yosemite. We plugged our kids trailer into the block heater outlet and turned on the switch when we were running our generator to charge their batteries. My Monaco that I had for nine years had the outlet in the identical spot as my Dutch Star, but didn't have a switch.

I do leave my block heater unplugged so I don't accidentally turn it on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #8

I unplug my block heater also, and use the outlet for a small heater for my water compartment when it gets below freezing. It is handy to have the switch inside the coach to turn on and off as needed.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Thanks I have 2014 Ventana and didn't know I had a breaker for it Dealer didn't know either
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

Block Heater

When we first got our coach I noticed the block heater was unplugged. The previous owner must not have been aware of the breaker inside a cabinet above the bedroom TV.

I have the heater plugged in and the switch off. Makes life easier.

Cheers,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117-IMG_8102.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	83471   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117-IMG_8104.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	83472  

CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #11

Thanks Lee, My Ventana is the same configuration as yours. Guess I use the 15amp dedicated CB for a switch or go outside in the AM if I ever want to use the block heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
Ted.....on our Ventana, the receptacle is in the far rear drivers side compartment. No switch that I am aware of. Hope that helps.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

Glad I found this thread because I was having problems with the block heater. When my coach was delivered the heater was on and the only way I could find to turn it off was at the breaker. But if I did that my monitor panel told me my L2 voltage was 7. I could not find a separate block heater switch anywhere. Having read the previous comments I finally found the heater plug in the rear bay/drivers side bay. Not labelled of course but it means I can turn the breaker back on and have meaningful readings on my monitor panel again.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater