Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #1

Angry 12.5 kva Genset Code Flashing 45

Hello, I am really frustrated and I can't believe this is happening to me but maybe you guys can offer some insight. I've only had this Newmar Essex 2004 coach for a couple months now and then Onan Genset worked fine when I got it. I shut the genset off when I parked the coach for the night and pushed the use/store button to "store" because we were staying in our stationary home. In the morning, I went back into the coach, fired up the genset, then while running I pushed the use/store button to "use". All was fine, working inside with A/C running until later that day when I turned the genset off. Had some family come over to see the coach and went to start genset and won't start, button flashing. I pulled out the manual and saw that it was a code and found code "45" which is take to authorized service center. I thought it was just a fluke because it worked fine earlier but after several days of trying it was just flashing the code. So, took it into Cummins South Orlando, I wanted to service engine and chassis anyway, and they determined the main stator was shorted to ground. $3000 and a week later I get the coach back, genset working fine again. Parked the coach for a couple of weeks in storage then brought it home. I was taking it to Camping World the next morning to service the slideouts and do an electrical inspection on the coach. Ran the genset for about 2 hours with A/C running to cool the coach down, then went to exercise the slide outs but had very low coach power and the living room slide wouldn't move. So, I thought that was strange because I would have thought the generator would have them charged back up. So, while the genset was running I pushed the use/store button to "use". Didn't make any difference. So I ran 110v shore power and turned off the A/C unit and generator. Worked the slideouts and then got it ready to take to Camping World and called it a night. Next morning drop it off at CW in Bartow, FL and get a phone call that they couldn't complete the electrical inspection because the genset is flashing code "45". This can't be happening again. Can pushing the use/store button with genset running short out the generator?!! Please advise!
04Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

If I remember right about 5 years ago our 12.5 genset flashed that code and it was the control module. The part was 900$ and was located in the air filter box. Ours short out was because of the auto power transfer switch burned out. When we had our problem genset would not start. Tom 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

Tom, thank you so much, maybe mine has the same problem, when your module died, did it short the genset or just not start until you changed the module?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

I believe it is the power output sensor module. It is located in the air intake chamber as it runs very hot and requires the additional cooling the air flow provides. I had mine replaced also, but I think the part was only 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

Peter
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Is the generator turning over? If not there is an starter relay issue with the 12.5 generators. The relay in qestion is the K2 starter relay. This can cause intermitient no start condition.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

The auto transfer burned out and when it did it most have shorted out the control module. I was getting prices from 850 to 1100$. Remember our engine on the genset would turn over but would not start. Is that the problem you are having? Tom 04 Essex
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Is the generator turning over? If not there is an starter relay issue with the 12.5 generators. The relay in qestion is the K2 starter relay. This can cause intermitient no start condition.
Yup, been there, done that. We were just outside Denali at the time. :(
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would take it back to CUMMINS South and see what they charged for $3000 and tell them its not fixed.
CW is not the place, you need a ONANS Authorize dealer to fix.
Here is the Manual and code 45 is a speed sense loss, controller, if thats what they changed than its defective.
How you can get the code, when you shut it down, all loads I would have off and let Gen idle for a while than shut it down.
Cummins should be able to tell you if you are doing something wrong when shutting Gen down.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

Tom, no mine won't crank, the dash button just flashes the code 45. Did yours have a code flashing or just not start?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Please read the following

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/onan...-127880-2.html

On your 2004 you only have 2 relays located in front passenger corner. I have replaced 3 relays on 3 differnet coaches so far and all had a bad relay. Any 5 blade relay will work. Just make sure you line up the correct wire to the correct terminal on the relay.
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 08-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

Also check to see if the ground cable is secure. As the genset is mounted on a slide, the ground strap is required.

Peter
Old 08-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The Positive and negative cables on the 12.5 are located at the back of the generator at the very bottom. Very easy to get to clean and service,
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #13

04 On our 04 Essex when the genset control module burned out the engine would turn over it just won't start. The code 45 came on when we tried to start it. The auto electric transfer switch burned out 1st, I think, and then caused the genset control module to burn out. The transfer switched short out across all wires inside box which I think caused our control module to burn up. Might take cover off auto transfer box and tighten and check all wires inside. I do that now every year and have found wires lose inside. Tom
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

2004 Essex with Genset Issue code 45 resovled!!

Well, took the beast back to Cummins South Orlando today with the genset issue flashing "code 45" and it turns out most all of you were right! Really the dumbest thing; when I got there Michael Starr who is very accomidating in the Coach Care area and felt bad about me having to bring it back, offered to have his tech look at it right away to see if it was something simple or stupid, and guess what? it was! As they ran the hydraulic slider out Mike said "uh oh" looks like the wire harness was pinched in the slider and it pulled the wires out of the Genset which was the starter relay as Lugnut had suggested. It wasn't the relay itself, it was the wires pulled out of the connectors! So, good news is my genset is working again and I didn't screw it up and didn't cost me another $$$$ of dollars! Honestly tho, I have to think, then genset worked when I brought it home and then took it to Camping World and had them do an electrical inspection on the coach and they could have moved the wiring around during the inspection and caused the problem when they retracted the genset. But whatever at least its fixed! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!