Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

12 Volt Switch Mystery

We have a 2003 Kountry Star. Below the medicine cabinet there are three double banks of switches. Two to the left of the sink and one to the right. I have identified 5 of the six switches. Top left are the bedroom switches (ceiling lights and night lights along the floor). Bottom left two switchesare for the bedroom ceiling speakers right and left. There are two switches top right of the sink. The one on the left turns on the lights above the medicine cabinet. [B]THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IS THE MYSTERY SWITCH.[B] I have checked if it turns on an outside security light and it does not.

All suggestions or input appreciated. Got a feeling the answer is going to make me feel a little foolish but thats ok. Wont be the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5297.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	324856  
DanCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

My mystery switch turned out to be a water Tank Heater. To keep the tanks above freezing in cold weather.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #3

I’d guess water pump, vent fan, tank pad heater, light dimmer or heat exchanger blower. At least that’s all the non- light switches in my baff rooms.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #4

My bath mystery switch was a light in the shower - which was burned out when I got the MH.

I did a mass swap to LEDs of all incandescent bulbs (except headlights and stoplights/turn signals) and all of a sudden the shower light worked... and the unlabeled switch above the sink controlled it.

Mike
Old 04-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Mystery Switch

Thanks for the ideas. I have a fan to blow heat in the storage area when the furnace is on. There is a switch in the water/sewer compartment to turn it on but this switch may do the same. I will check.
It's not a water pump switch I checked that.
I need to check on water pad tank heater. I would think a switch like that would have an on off light.
Thanks but my shower does not have a light.

I'll check out all your suggestions tomorrow and report back.

Thanks all.

Dan
Old 04-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #6

I would agree that the water tank pad heater switch should be illuminated when on or marked on/off. Sadly , mine is not. If it were me, I’d have it labeled/illuminated and have it by the engine Block heater switch, above entry stairs with/near other thermal controls. Good luck and keep us posted. When you get it figured out, maybe turn this into a “post your mystery switch ” thread. I had a few that took me a couple months to figure out

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

In our old coach we have a separate bath area and I have a switch for above the medicine cabinet and the other for the bathroom overhead light.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Still A Mistry

Well I was optimistic that the switch would turn the "Basement Heater Fan Motor"on. The only other switch to activate it is outside on the water/sewer panel.
Unfortunately it did not operate the basement heater fan motor.

I had a sudden thought that maybe it turned on a light under the bed in the storage area. It did not. No light there.

The coach is all closed in on the bottom so I can't see the bottom of the water tank. I can see one side but I don't see any pad or wires. I'm going to do a better inspection tomorrow. It was a bit cold out there.

I'm going to log on to Newgle and see if I can find a wire diagram that might help my search.

Thanks again for your input and I'll keep you posted.

Dan
Old 04-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #9

Since the switch is labeled "medicine cabinet" might it be for a light in the medicine cabinet. I have never seen a light in a medicine cabinet but I can see some folks wanting one.
Have you taken the switch plate off to see if there is actually something connected to it? Just a thought.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #10

Have you pulled out the switch from the mount to check to see if was even wired to something? Quite possible they ran out of blanks and put a switch in place instead. Dummer things have happened.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #11

Mystery Solved

At the beginning of this I said I had a felling that I would feel a little foolish when I figured it out. Well I do.

As some suggested I took the cover plate off the switch. I verified that the mystery switch had 12.9 volts feeding it and that the switch worked and was sending 12.9 volts to something.

The wires were color coded. The hot wire was brown and switched wire brown with white stripe. I dug out a wiring diagram. Brown hot wire and brown and white striped switch wires were designated as bathroom lights.

That really narrowed down the area to the bathroom and it had to be a light. I turned that switch on an off a hundred times over the past few days and it did not turn any light off or on.

There is a florescent light in the hall between the main room and the bedroom/bathroom. Upon examination I noticed it had a separate switch on the side of the light. I turned it in the other direction and voila the switch now turned the light off and on. It was kind of a dahhhh moment. Thank god for color coded wires and wiring diagrams. I never had a use for that light in the three months I've owned the coach.

Thanks for all your suggestions. They helped me eliminate some things and eventually figure it out.

Dan
Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Good sleuthing! Those little switches on individual lights have gotten the best of a lot of folks. Glad you figured it out.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, switch