Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
120 Volt Electrical Issues

I started having issues when plugging in my electrical cable to an outside power supply at my house (The power supply from the house is fine), I heard a clicking sound coming from the gray box in the MH power supply cord compartment when I wiggled the power cord connection between the MH power cord, adapter and the extension cord from the house, I believe the 50 amp to 15 amp adapter had a loose connection so I replaced it with my 50 amp to 30 amp to 15 amp adapters but things still don't seem right. When plugged into the house power supply the 120 volt microwave and coffee maker both work fine. One thing I now notice that just started happening is that the control panel up front isn't working correctly, it will not allow me to change the incoming power supply ampage setting and it shows a low battery which I don't believe is the case because the 4 house batteries are new, any suggestions would be helpful.
HDBiker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
What is the voltage and what is the resistance/continuity?

A VOM is your friend, and you can diagnose a great number of electrical problems in both the 120V AC and 12V DC systems. Using a clamp meter you can measure amps as well as voltage. A clamp meter that will also read DC is of particular valu to RV's.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you plug in a different lower power source don't the settings change on the control of your inverter.
Here is a thread that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think so, it is plugged into a 15 amp supply and the control is reading 30.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
What is the voltage and what is the resistance/continuity?

A VOM is your friend, and you can diagnose a great number of electrical problems in both the 120V AC and 12V DC systems. Using a clamp meter you can measure amps as well as voltage. A clamp meter that will also read DC is of particular valu to RV's.
A VOM? Is it a Simpson 260. I still have one of those. Shadow's been in electricity for a long time.

I would check for loose connections. From what you say it sounds like you have an intermittent problem. Those can be very difficult to find. The first step is to disconnect from all AC electrical or zero volts are in the system. Opewn up the shore power cdanle and make sure every screw in that compartment is tight.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

120 volt electrical problems

as a side note. every line voltage (120/240) panel (including your home) needs to be serviced from time to time. the wires heat up and cool down backing off the screws. and can cause problems. it's no big problem if you don't like electricity turn off the breaker when you tighten the screws.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi HDBiker Dave,
If the coach works fine on 50 AMP shore power and does work quite right on 15 AMP shore power, do nothing. My coach does not like 20 AMP or below shore power. If 15 AMP is all you have, be careful what you turn on and and understand the coach may do some weird things.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Help me out if my math doesn't sound right. You are trying to power your 50amp 2pole motor home going through a 30amp adapter to a 15amp adapter and supplying your coach with 7.5 amps +/- to each 50amp pole and are experiencing strange happenings? Not sure your panel will recognize anything that low, but I am probably wrong.Is this something you have done before without issue?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Help me out if my math doesn't sound right. You are trying to power your 50amp 2pole motor home going through a 30amp adapter to a 15amp adapter and supplying your coach with 7.5 amps +/- to each 50amp pole and are experiencing strange happenings? Not sure your panel will recognize anything that low, but I am probably wrong.Is this something you have done before without issue?
I think you misunderstood, I am simply plugging the MH cable into a standard 15 amp power outlet at my home, the MH cable has a 50 amp cable end so in order to plug it into the outlet you need to use an adapter from 50 amps to 15 amps or from 50 amps to 30 amps to 15 amps. The panel has settings from 15 amps and up.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi HDBiker Dave,
If the coach works fine on 50 AMP shore power and does work quite right on 15 AMP shore power, do nothing. My coach does not like 20 AMP or below shore power. If 15 AMP is all you have, be careful what you turn on and and understand the coach may do some weird things.
I don't have a 50 amp power supply to try at my home, I have always plugged into a 15 amp outlet at home and never had a problem. For the last little while when I plugged into the power supply at home I've noticed a sound coming from the electric storage cord compartment, I notice there is a gray electrical box in that compartment so I'll take the cover off and see how things look. BTW when the MH is plugged in everything seems to be working ok but the control panel is not workng correctly.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave the noise you hear is coming from the relays in your transfer switch.
You may have some dirty contacts on one of them trying to close the contact.
There may also be metal filings on magnetic pole of relay that needs to be cleaned out.
With the power off you can run a dollar bill paper through contacts to clean and use a thin firmer cardboard to clean out filings or if you have a high pressure air hose blow them out by operating the relay with fingers.
Be careful of the circuit board and not cross anything across board which may have a charge internally.
Check all wiring connections in box for tight screws and good contact especially stranded wires.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Well I finally got the time to investigate my electrical problem, turns out my problem is the Heart Remote unit that is mounted in the upper cabinet when you enter the MH. When I removed it from the console all of the lights went off, I unplugged it and had a look inside but everything looked fine, I plugged it back in and shutdown the power and turned it back on, all of the light on the remote came on and stayed on. When I finish with this mesage I'll go online and see where I can get a new or reconditioned one. If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know what they are. Thanks for messages received up to this point.

Tags
electrical