Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

12V Charging Wire?

Took my Ford Fiesta toad in this week to get the base plate and wiring done. Since the Fiesta manual requires the battery to be disconnected when towing and we went with the Blue Ox Patriot brake system the power for it must come from the coach. I have read on this forum that either Ford or Newmar runs an orange wire for this purpose but it is not connected. I called Newmar before I took it in to verify this and the best answer was they thought there was a wire for this purpose but wasn't sure if it was black or orange. The installer found an orange wire at the rear near the 7 way but it was not hot and they could not find it at the front. Called Newmar but got no answer after waiting for 40 minutes. Must have been off for Good Friday. Tried calling my dealer service but they never called back. Called Ford and they basically said a new wire must be run for this purpose. Job was completed but disappointed that no one really had a good answer. Ford even sent a wiring diagram that would indicate a hot wire but it couldn't be found and they said to run another one.
RainHurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim.....Two things to check. Often that wire is not hot, unless the ignition is on. They also fuse that wire and pull the fuse until you connect to it like you're trying to do. You need to find your fuse panel for the tail lights and brake lights. On the DP's it's back by the engine. I'm not familiar where it is on your coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

RainHurry-

In the past, Ford has not supplied a 12V charge line on the F53 chassis. I can't tell you why. They usually provide one for the E-Series chassis used by Class C coach manufacturers.

Ford wiring diagrams are the best place to confirm the existence of a charge line. I can't afford to buy the DVDs, so I turn to the next-best place: The Ford Body Builders Layout Book, online. For a 2016 F53, the fuse information can be found here.

Looking at that information, I can't see a charge line fuse. Therefore, I assume Ford did what is has in past years, which is that they left it to the coach builder to provide one. I could be incorrect.

If Newmar provided a charge line, its fuse should be listed in your owners manual. That's where I find it listed for my Monaco.

I strongly suspect there is a Newmar-installed charge line in your BayStar. Even if you've had a separate wire run, it would help other folks reading these posts to investigate further and find a charge line, if it's there.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Here's a link to a post by "JerryP" on how he wired his BayStar for a 12V charge line.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My other post - JerryP

Just saw this thread. You got the same info that I did from Newmar and Ford.
I have a 2013 Bay Star 3002 that is probably wired in a similar manner as your coach. Check out my other post. If you have questions, I will be watching....

The charge wire is easy to set up and be sure to use something like the RVI Towed battery charger in your towed vehicle.

Not sure why your manual says to disconnect the battery. Some vehicles will run down a battery when the key is turned on to tow. It's probably a good idea to charge the battery and run your brake system from the battery. If you are running the brake system from a charge line from your RV and the Toad disconnects from the RV - brake system will not work when you need it.

If Ford did something weird so that the the battery must be disconnected, you should probably use the charger to keep the battery up and the brake system connected directly to the battery.

Regards,

Jerry
2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging