Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

12V power out after battery changeout

Changed 4 6V batts today using the GC2 type from NAPA which were priced at roughly $123 each. Turned off chassis batt power and shore power prior to disconnect of old batts. Removed the positive leads to the inverter and house panels first. Reconnected in reverse order with new batts. Now experiencing no power to the HD Relay left side. No power (12V) therefore to several inside fuse panels, slides, etc. Where or what do I look for? Is the HD Relay now out and what steps to replace it if so? We're scheduled to leave home on Thursday morning unfortunately. Any help much appreciated.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did you make a drawing or take a pic of the cable routing prior to removing? Just checking as the most common issue is reinstalling the cables incorrectly
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #3

This is almost always due to a left off wire or a wire on the wrong battery post. I know you didn't miss one but that's usually what it is.

If you post a picture we might be able to help.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:03 AM   #4

Well I hate to admit it, but I found the issue: the 12V switch by the entry door! I hardly ever use that switch to shut the coach power off, so I simply overlooked it even though I had turned it off before removing batteries. Doh!

To answer the above replies, yes, I did have drawing and pictures taken before I disconnected the battery terminations. Also, All leads were labeled before work began.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Glad it was an easy fix. Most of us have been caught by that switch at one time or another
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Well I hate to admit it, but I found the issue: the 12V switch by the entry door! I hardly ever use that switch to shut the coach power off, so I simply overlooked it even though I had turned it off before removing batteries. Doh!

To answer the above replies, yes, I did have drawing and pictures taken before I disconnected the battery terminations. Also, All leads were labeled before work began.
Thanks for letting us know. I have had a number of doh….. moments myself.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback and glad it was something simple.

Tags
12v, battery, power