Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Thumbs up '13 VTDP 3433 Corner Wts Questions

Recently had corner wts done on our new to us '13 VTDP 3433 w/FL Chassis and looking for inputs, insights & others experience.

Don't have actual wts in front of me - can look up & add if critical
Wts were done loaded for travel and fuel & FW full, DEF approx 1/2, holding tanks empty

Results: LF about 200# heavier than LF - total under axle capacity

RR a little over 1,000# heavier than LR - total under axle capacity

Total Wt under capacity and not an issue

I have not noticed any ride / handling issues - I was only doing this for my education and to ensure proper tire inflation targets vs axle wts previous owner had done & supplied when I bought the MH.

Weigh master indicated opposite corners being heavy frequently indicator of ride Ht being out of adjustment - recommended checking

Had ride ht checked and shop indicated rears and front were within spec - did not need any adjustment.

I can easily see FL being a little heavy with 8 - 6V GC's in the first compartment behind front wheel - even with Res Fridge on right behind pass seat.

I can't figure why RR wheels should be that much heavier than LR?

I'm assuming FW tank is roughly centered on rails but don't know for sure.

Has any other VTDP owners had 4 corner wts done that can elaborate on results?

Anyone had similar results w/ opposite corners heavy?
By how much?
Any correction?

Thanks in advance
Don
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

You have a typo in paragraph three.

How did they weigh it, four corner pads or half on half off? Does the coach sit level side to side on a level surface? Was it level when weighed?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Corrected Par 3 meant RF...Thanks

Wts done on a large level concrete pad w recesses for 2 individual wheel scales.
Did front L & R & recorded.

Pulled ahead and weighed rear L & R & recorded.

Weighmaster seemed pretty meticulous.
Service brakes off parking brake on... if I recall correctly

MH seems to sit level as far as I can tell measuring to wheel wells. I won't have enough blocking along to provide enough access under to verify shop measurements.
Will try to continue self analysis when I get home and do more measuring safely.
Just looking for any experience that might relate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Recently had corner wts done on our new to us '13 VTDP 3433 w/FL Chassis and looking for inputs, insights & others experience.

Don't have actual wts in front of me - can look up & add if critical
Wts were done loaded for travel and fuel & FW full, DEF approx 1/2, holding tanks empty

Results: LF about 200# heavier than RF - total under axle capacity

RR a little over 1,000# heavier than LR - total under axle capacity

Total Wt under capacity and not an issue

I have not noticed any ride / handling issues - I was only doing this for my education and to ensure proper tire inflation targets vs axle wts previous owner had done & supplied when I bought the MH.

Weigh master indicated opposite corners being heavy frequently indicator of ride Ht being out of adjustment - recommended checking

Had ride ht checked and shop indicated rears and front were within spec - did not need any adjustment.

I can easily see FL being a little heavy with 8 - 6V GC's in the first compartment behind front wheel - even with Res Fridge on right behind pass seat.

I can't figure why RR wheels should be that much heavier than LR?

I'm assuming FW tank is roughly centered on rails but don't know for sure.

Has any other VTDP owners had 4 corner wts done that can elaborate on results?

Anyone had similar results w/ opposite corners heavy?
By how much?
Any correction?

Thanks in advance
Don
Old 05-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

I thought I'd answer this myself so others have access to the info I've gathered.

First the good news...

I contacted Newmar about this and requested any wts they might have after completion of the MH. The rep sent an excellent summary of dry wts (copy attached). This is good info and others interested may want to request it from Newmar.

The factory wts indeed show the LFront & R Rear to be somewhat heavier from the factory. While this doesn't explain the current difference completely is roughly 1/3 - 1/2 of the difference. While my first reaction to the 1,000# difference in the rear was that that was a lot - upon reflection that is only about 5% of the rear axle capacity (5.5% of actual axle wt) and therefore not all that excessive.

Freightliner confirmed the ride ht specs for future checks & reference and they were somewhat different than what I found online. I'll also attach FL Ride Ht specs.

Now The Bad News
The first Newmar "Tech" Rep that responded to my email asked about fresh water aboard and indicated the water tanks were on the R Rear side and affect the wt distribution.
I DIDN"T THINK THAT WAS ACCURATE SO I ASKED FOR THE PLUMBING / TANK DIAGRAMS WHICH SHE SENT
The tank diagrams confirmed my suspicion that the tanks are essentially centered and should not affect the L-R distribution. When I asked for clarification I got sort of generic non-answers to my email.
When I called I couldn't get through to the first tech that responded but another rep basically agreed that water aboard has little if any affect of L-R distribution but added that the 1,000# didn't seem excessive and not something to be concerned about.

Lessons Learned
Newmar was very good at supplying as manufactured wts and diagrams - interpretation / troubleshooting not as good and when asked for clarification side stepped the issue and fell back on the actual wts provided.

Freightliner also very responsive w drawings & specs.

Hope above Helps others
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	411142 Weights.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	202522  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FL Ride heights_Front ride height specs.pdf (104.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf FL Ride heights_Rear ride heights.pdf (109.0 KB, 12 views)