Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

15Amp AC pop's

Every time I plug the coach into a 15 amp outlet from the house it immediately trips the GFCI. I am not trying to run anything just top off the batteries and possibly run the refrigerator if possible.
How much current should there be drawing if everything is turned off except the Magnum Inverter/charger. Inverter is turned off.
Any help is appreciated.
EPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

The GFCI is a ground fault device not a over current circuit breaker.

It trips because there is an imbalance in the wiring and it thinks that will kill you.

Its a problem with a lot of RVs, sometimes due to a dangerous issue and most times a nusence.

Find an outlet not GFCI protected or add a RV 30 or 50 amp line to your house.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

The shore power amperage setting must be changed. On my Magnum panel, I press the "shore" button and I can change the shore power max amperage.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

Like Twinboat said its quite common. GFCIs dont play nice together. One or more of your GFCIs in the RV is xausing your problem. Turn off the circuit bevore plugging in and see what happens. On this house my GFCI would trip when I plugged in. Go to the box and reset it and everything was fine till the next time.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Turn off all the Individual Circuit Breakers in your RV AC Panel
Then plug in to that 15A house GFCI protected outlet
Then turn on each Individual CB in RV AC Panel one-at-a-time to ID which circuit is causing the GFCI to trip

Fridge electric elements are common source of 'leakage'

Then post results for others.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Like Twinboat said its quite common. GFCIs dont play nice together. One or more of your GFCIs in the RV is xausing your problem. Turn off the circuit bevore plugging in and see what happens. On this house my GFCI would trip when I plugged in. Go to the box and reset it and everything was fine till the next time.
GFCIs work fine together. Look at hair dryers, pressure washers and other devices with GFCI plugs on them, that plug in to GFCI outlets. They work.

Its current leakage on devices not controlled by the RV installed GFCI outlets that trip them. Converter/chargers, gas/electric fridges, electric water heaters, ........
Old 10-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAZ View Post
Every time I plug the coach into a 15 amp outlet from the house it immediately trips the GFCI. I am not trying to run anything just top off the batteries and possibly run the refrigerator if possible.
How much current should there be drawing if everything is turned off except the Magnum Inverter/charger. Inverter is turned off.
Any help is appreciated.
Had the exact same thing happen on my rig. To keep batteries charged I would unplug converter/charger from outlet in electric bay and plug converter into extension cord which was plugged into GFCI outlet. This prevented tripping GFCI outlet but allowed batteries to charge. However, the crazy thing is ever since I installed a Progressive EMS, I no longer trip GFCI outlets when plugged into them.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

You have a converter/charger in a diesel pusher ?

Most, including the OP have inverter/chargers installed. They are hard wired in and there is no plug to connect to an extension cord.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

Converts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You have a converter/charger in a diesel pusher ?

Most, including the OP have inverter/chargers installed. They are hard wired in and there is no plug to connect to an extension cord.
On my 2000 DSDP I I have two Iota DLS 45 amp converters and both plug in, as far as I know it came from Newmar that way.
Arkansas RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #10

thanks for the suggestions, I will explore them and report back
EPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #11

Hi Eric-

To expand a little bit on @twinboat 's reply:

GFCIs work by detecting an imbalance of current between the "hot" and "neutral" wires of a branch circuit. The current between the source and return (it's a *circuit*, remember!) should be identical and the presumption is that any difference in current is due to it leaking off somewhere it shouldn't. In the USA the amount of current difference allowed in 5 milliamps. Note that it doesn't matter if 3 appliances or devices have less leakage (say 2 milliamps for this illustration), but if they're all on the same branch circuit and used at the same time, the GFCI would trip. Used individually, it would not. At any rate, the current level of 5 milliamps is just below the amount that will cause many healthy adult hearts to go into defib... so this device is intended to protect your life from a hazard that will escape other types of protection like fuses and circuit breakers.

As Old Biscuit suggests, turn off all the load breakers in your RV, plug in your shore power and if the GFCI does not trip, turn on the breakers one by one until it does. Turn off all the breakers, reset the GFCI, and turn on the last breaker again. If the GFCI trips, whatever is powered by that breaker is highly suspect. If the GFCI does not trip, it means you could have multiple devices/appliances leaking a little bit each and contributing to the condition.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #12

The test just posted is a good test.

If it doesn't ID your problem, you can try unplugging your fridge.

Switching off the breaker takes the hot ( black ) line out of the circuit but not the neutral.

The fridge heating coil could be touching ground near the neutral end. It will still work but can cause a current leakage to ground even with the breaker off. Any path to ground, even on the neutral side, will trip the GFCI.

It can, and has, happened with water heater elements. Problem is they don't have plugs.
You would need to trip the breaker and remove the white wire from the element to completely isolate it.

It only takes a second to burn a hole in a water heater element, if switched on, not submerged in water. It could still heat the water but leak current to ground.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have the same problem when I plug into a 15 amp outlet at the front of my house.

I found if I first turn off the two 50 amp main breakers in my coach power panel and then plug in the power cord to my house and THEN turn the 50 amp breakers back on I'm fine.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote