Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

1991 Kountry Star

Hi
I'm not sure if you can help me. I've just bought my first RV. I'm in the UK and I've bought a 1991 Newmar Kountry Star 5.9 diesel motorhome and it's awesome.. I've named her "Disneyland". (VIN: 4CDB4XE21M2102948 ) It has a cummins engine in it and I've been told it is on a Spartan chassis however it has OSHKOSH written on the steering wheel. I dont know what any of this means.
I'll be needing some parts for my RV but first of all I'm after some information on it. Can anyone let me know how to get a owners manual, service manual and/or parts catalogue or similar information that will help me out with Disneyland.
I intend on keeping her for a very long time therefore any help would be very much appreciated
thanx from Wales
Richie...
richiewelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome from across the pond and to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and 1997 Owners Guide for you, oldest we have for a DP.
Below in my signature are links to many more for your coach.
Here is a link you may find of use for appliances.
Newmar 1991 Oshkosh chassis, its not a Spartan.
Welcome to the Newmar family, enjoy and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi richiewelsh,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. 007 provided excellent links. This is the right place for any questions you have. You have many happy memories waiting to be made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello richiewelsh and welcome to iRV2.

You mentioned getting parts - I have been to your area of the world and one does not see a lot of motor coaches so not sure how readily available parts will be.............

What an adventure it will be an adventure driving around Wales and heading up to Scotland.

007 gave you some great links and he also has great links as far as information for repairs, modifications, problems with suggested fixes.

For me, I get a lot of my parts from Newmar. You have your VIN, I bet on the inside of one of the kitchen cabinets you will find a "Serial/Coach" number. Anytime you contact Newmar, have one of these numbers handy and they can pull up the information about your coach.

Here is the URL for Newmar: http://newmarcorp.com

I am not sure how international transactions will be handled, such as ordering and shipping parts, but I am sure and have confidence Newmar can handle it. And email is international.

My coach sits in a Freightliner chassis - I have contacted them in the past for parts. Again, have your VIN handy.

And always remember, you have iRV2 for great info and virtual friends who at times become actual face to face friends. I still can't imagine driving around the UK in a large motor coach. But most of my driving in the UK has been around London, Edinburgh, Liverpool, and Wales. What a I remember about Wales was mountains and rugged country - I bet there is come great "camping" there.

Do you know the history of your coach? I was wondering how it arrived in the UK.

Take care and welcome.

Glenn
Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Hi, thanx all for the info. Greatly appreciated. I've only just bought the coach, it came as an insurance wright off(panel damage only). I thought I'd get a bargain but I didn't plan on the 8 new tyres I just had to buy. Spent days e-mailing and calling Newmar and OSHKOSH to see if I can get any repair manuals, service manuals, owners manuals but they have nothing on my motorhome. Oshkosh records don't go back that far and Newmar didn't have much more.
They did say it used to be a 460 gas engine but now it's a 5.9 Cummins diesel. I should be able to get plenty of info from Cummins when I find out which engine type it is(working away until next week). I'll search for a coach number when I get there and contact Newmar again.
It was imported into the UK in 1996 but other than that I know nothing about it. There is only 35000 miles on the clock. It has an Onan 4kw generator. I'll have to figure out the water/toilet system. My dad has been playing with it the last couple of days and says everything seems to work fine. I'm hoping I haven't bought a lemon.
Thinking about it I'd have been better off importing one myself from the US. Nevermind, maybe next time. having trouble finding a rear bumper/fender end cover for it as mine is missing(passenger side). Guess I'll have to make a new back bumper/fender. Goto fix some cracked fibreglass and put a new door step on it and hopefully ready to go.
Driving something this big around wales and the UK is going to be lots of fun. cant wait.
Thanx again and all the best from Wales
Richie......
Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

front engine...?????????

I've just found out it's a front mounted engine, a Cummins 160. All the research I've done have done has come up with no front mounted engine vehicles whatsoever. Now I'm really confused.
Anyone sen one of these before????
Old 07-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found this website, which may have some pertinent information & parts for you, if needed:

http://www.jobbersinc.com/cummins.htm

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Front diesel engine, yes in 98-99 years Newmar had them on a Freightliner chassis.
They had a 210 HP engine at the time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2653871]Front diesel engine, yes in 98-99 years Newmar had them on a Freightliner chassis.
They had a [B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/1998ksb.pdf
210 HP engine[/URL][/B] at the time.

Mine is a 1991 which is why I'm having difficulty finding out any info on it. It's certainly not a 98-99. From the VIN number it says it's an M series Oshkosh. Tried looking this up but still cant find anything.
Thanx Richie....
Old 07-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I found this website, which may have some pertinent information & parts for you, if needed:

Cummins engine part, Cummins C160, C180, L10, M11, 4B3.9, 6CTA, B3.3T, 4BT, 4BTA, PT240, NTC350, NTA855, NHRS, ISB5.9, PT270, QSM11C, NH220, NH250, NH270, NT335, V504, V555, V903 and Cummins VT903 engines.

Thanx, got some great info
should be very helpful
cheers Richie....
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're very welcome. Let us know how you make out with your repair & rebuild adventures. 🚍🚌

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #12

I googled 'Oshkosh RV chassis' and got 477,000 hits. Among them was this:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/oshk...er-152653.html

It said:"Yeah, Freightliner acquired the RV division of Oshkosh in 1996. My '96 Airstream on a Freightliner X-Line chassis has an Oshkosh steering wheel and a Freightliner dashboard. So i see both logos anytime I'm driving it. Actually, the X-Line chassis was originally a John Deere chassis before Oshkosh acquired the RV division of Deere. "