RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #1

1998 Mountain Air Repair Question Thread.

On our MH on the passenger side window the "sliding" part is actually plastic and not glass. Yes I should have seen that when I purchased the unit but it is tinted, slides and it's only a problem when going down the highway because unlike glass it 'gives' causing some noise.

Well I got adventerous and thought, I'll just remove, take it to a glass place and replace it myself, after all this MH is my weekend project right?

When I got the sliding plastic out there was some broken glass in the bottom of the track so I KNOW it's supposed to be glass. Here's the problem I don't see how to get the glass into the track without ruining the track.

Is there some magical release that I'm missing?

On the other hand maybe it can't be replaced unless the entire window, as a unit is removed?

I just don't know. Should I call a glass company, like Safeguarad, to have them come out and look at it and give me an estimate?

Anyone had to replace the passenger slide window? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Personally I would take it to a Rv dealer who knows what they are doing. I don't think a company like safeguard has the knowledge to work on RV's,I could be wrong. Good Luck. Keep us informed.

tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The window frame inside will have to be removed and my window slides have a fabric track to cut down the noise.
Someone may have worked on it before.
Duncan Glass in your area should be able to help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Thanks

Appreciate the link, I'll give them a call and see how it works out. I really didn't want to have a Safelight or other car windown company come out but I had to listen to Mrs. Lucky first.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Air conditioner shroud

Hi all, been busy traveling and when I got home my neighbor asked what I had hit on my latest trip.

Now I'm been very careful and I know I didn't hit anything so I had this quizical look on my face and asked what he was talking about. He pointed to the top of my MH and I saw that the shroud on the front AC was gone! POOF!

I climbed up and noticed the screws were still in place but the plastic must have given up the ghost. I inspected the rear one and noticed that it has cracks in it as well so....

I called NorthTrail and asked for parts and was going to order two (2) because I figure the rear one is ready to depart as well. "What type of AC unit do you have?" the service persona asked?

I stuttered and answered, "the kind on a 98 Mountain Aire"

"Well I need to know the manufacturer in order to get you the proper unit."

So back out to the MH and inspecting the unit I didn't see anything about manufacturer on the thing - LOTS of rust so I'm pretty sure it's the original unit. I open the owners manual and guess what - blank pages! I'm the 3rd owner and the original didn't write down the manufacturer for any of the appliances, etc.,

So anyone out there have any idea what type of AC shroud I would need for a 1998 Mountain Aire? Front and rear units? Any advice on where I would find out what type of unit or where there is an identification number?

Thanks all.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Are the Air Conditioners controlled on the inside by a Duo-Therm Thermostat? On my 1996 Mountain Aire the air conditioners are 620315 Penguin by Dometic. Here's a site that might help: | Penguin Air Conditioner Shroud Dometic Duo-Therm RV AC

Here is also site for Dometic: https://www.dometic.com/enie/Interna...e/Search-help/

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for links Kaye have a couple cracked also for pass 10 years, still there though.
Good pricing.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Are the Air Conditioners controlled on the inside by a Duo-Therm Thermostat? On my 1996 Mountain Aire the air conditioners are 620315 Penguin by Dometic. Here's a site that might help: | Penguin Air Conditioner Shroud Dometic Duo-Therm RV AC

Here is also site for Dometic: https://www.dometic.com/enie/Interna...e/Search-help/

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Kaye
You were a great help. I found out it was a Dometic, went to NorthTrail and got two (2) shrouds and just replaced the rear one BEFORE it broke down.

Also got some great advice from the salesperson - She suggested to use 303 on the shrouds to help them last longer. I use it on the tires and seals on the outside but never thought to put it up on the shrouds.

Thanks for the input.

BTW - I filled out the Dometic model in the owners manual so that if I need to replace it in the future I won't have to wonder and search. Note to self: ALWAYS fill in those serial numbers in the owners manual.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good to hear from you and enjoy your travels and updates.
In the QT's links all that you mentioned is in them for future reference.
Enjoy traveling and be safe.

Tags
repair