Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Vince,

Thanks for the details and great suggestions.

I was going to suggest tilting of the panels for Winter, but recall you don't do the roof climbing. Not sure how much extra you get. If you are stationary for a while and in an Est-West orientation it might be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Synopsis of our solar system/install.

Fifteen 100w Renogy narrow panels mounted flat mostly down both sides of roof with a few across at the rear. Narrow panels to minimize shading from all the items in the center of the roof.

Wired in three strings of 500w each. Three pair of #10 PV wire enters the roof through a Winegard entry plate above the fresh water tank. Wiring runs down to the wet bay and then forward through the basement to the wall just aft of the battery bay (battery bay is just aft of the PS front wheel).

On that wall is a 6 slot Midnight Solar combiner box with DC circuit breaker for each string. Next to it is a Midnight Solar Classic 150 controller. #4 wire from the combiner box to controller and on to the batteries. A inline circuit breaker/disconnect is in the battery bay.

Connection is made direct to the batteries (not through the coach disconnect switch). Batteries are six 6 volt wet batteries.

Additionally there are two 100w panels made portable - to be set out as needed. Wired to the combiner box as another string with a 4th DC breaker.

We dry camp primarily in the southwest deserts in the winter desert season. Hence low winter sun can impact production upwards of 50% from rated.
TLWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLWH View Post
Vince,

Thanks for the details and great suggestions.

I was going to suggest tilting of the panels for Winter, but recall you don't do the roof climbing. Not sure how much extra you get. If you are stationary for a while and in an Est-West orientation it might be worth it.
I've modeled with PV Watts for out RV and sticks and bricks installations. Also used to track actual production against model expectations for the sticks and bricks.

Tilt vs non-tilting production = about 10-20%, typical.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Charlie,

Thanks for all the details and information.

I'm also leaning toward the Victron system, although I do have the Magnum Energy Inverter/Charge. I will not matter for the solar only charging phase. The Magnum will be replaced (or supplemented) in phase two, when I move to LiFePo4 and a hybrid system.

Did you source your material from AM Solar? And the Grape 180W panels?

Our coach is also all electric with three A/C units, Residential Fridge, Inductive store, W/D and Oasis also.

For phase two, when I more to LiFePo4 batteries would like to be able to use 1 or 2 A/C units for some short period it time.

What type of panel mounting approach did you take - just on the roof or did you frame it up higher to avoid some of the shading issues.

Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Including hydraulic crimpers, and other misc. tools required... and before 30% tax credit...I was just at $6,000 for a DIY installation.

8 x 180w grape solar panels
AMSolar rocker mounts
AMSolar roof combiner
AMSolar 10-2 cable
AMSolar tilt kits
Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-TR charge controller
Victron Energy BMV-712 battery monitor with temp sensor
Victron Energy Venus GX for remote monitoring
GPS module
Venus GX addition remote temp sensors x 2
Micro SD memory for Venus GX
USB wifi for Venus GX
Ve.direct cables for BMV and MPPT to Venus GX
ME-BMK battery monitor kit for Magnum Energy monitoring
ME-ARC advanced remote to take advantage of ME-BMK inputs
Wire, terminals, fuse holders fuses, switches, heat shrink, a split wire loom, dicor, 3M primer, scotch brite, alcohol, rags, MC-4 connectors, inline MC-4 fuses, Solar Meter, mounting hardware and backing,

I started with 1,080 watts...and wound up going to 1,440 watts to meet demands of an eight battery, all electric, residential fridge, and oasis equipped coach.

We even have one member that has added a switch to enable one air conditioner to run off the inverter while on solar.

The install is simple...but takes a fair investment of time...and a bit of physical work to get the panels up onto the roof.

The advantage of doing it yourself...is you know intimately how it all works...and can better manage the system.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 AM   #18

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Charlie, how do you like your 180w grape panels. I was looking at 200w panels on FB from Brain Boone at RV Boondocking with solar group.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #19

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Canuck

Install 1200ah of Elite Power Solutions Lithium batteries, replace current Magnum inverter/charger with the MSH3000 3000w hybrid, Magnum BMK, Magnum MagWeb for wireless control/monitoring, replace current Magnum controller with the ME-ARC50, Magnum PT-100 controller, sub panel and additional wiring.

Will build a box in the current battery bay for all of the components to be enclosed (current battery compartment is open to the environment). 180W panels (12) mounted on an IronRidge commercial rack system (same components that would mount to a home roof).
Have you done the install yet or are you still working on it? Is Magnum MagWeb a new product. I never heard of it and how does it compare to Victron web interface?
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Charlie, how do you like your 180w grape panels. I was looking at 200w panels on FB from Brain Boone at RV Boondocking with solar group.
They are fine. I decided to use them because I could get them thru my local home depot. Our UPS drivers destroy stuff. I had to order four times to get 8 good panels. UPS bent them, and I even had the glass totally shattered on one panel. Luckily, others haven't had the same poor service.

It would be nice to get 200 watts from the same size panel if that is available.

I believe AMSolar sold Grape Solar panels for a while, and seem to be using Zamp panels now.

Anyway...wherever you get them...just check the voltage and short circuit current of the panel...before going thru the work of hauling them to the roof. All my panels produced good power from the start. I expect to get years of good use from them. I would have hated to get one mounted to find it shorted or a diode blown.

Grape Solar ran low on these panels a while back...and Home Depot listed them as unavailable. I'm not sure of their current stock.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Charlie,

Thanks for all the details and information.

I'm also leaning toward the Victron system, although I do have the Magnum Energy Inverter/Charge. I will not matter for the solar only charging phase. The Magnum will be replaced (or supplemented) in phase two, when I move to LiFePo4 and a hybrid system.

Did you source your material from AM Solar? And the Grape 180W panels?

Our coach is also all electric with three A/C units, Residential Fridge, Inductive store, W/D and Oasis also.

For phase two, when I more to LiFePo4 batteries would like to be able to use 1 or 2 A/C units for some short period it time.

What type of panel mounting approach did you take - just on the roof or did you frame it up higher to avoid some of the shading issues.

Gerry

Gerry,

I got AMSolar components directly from them.

I purchased the Grape Solar panels when on sale thru Home Depot.

I mounted the rocker feet directly to the fiberglass roof using the included VHB tape. I cleaned the bonding area with maroon colored scothbrite pad, and isopropyl alcohol. Then used the 3m primer before bonding. Dicor goes over it to seal from moisture. I used two mounts on the leading set of panels for extra hold...as they would get the most wind resistance while driving.

It appears you can run one air conditioner for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Lithiums have a better peukert number...so I would expect better performance with them.

The Victron setup works very well. I also have the Magnum MS2812 currently.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #22

Tips if you go the DIY route:

The Renogy 100W are nice because they tile better on a lot of coach roofs. We have four roof airs, three vents, and one skylight, and I think we still could squeeze 2400W if I really wanted to work at it. (We have 1600W and plenty of open space.)

I like to install the panels near the very edges of the roof, which means we needed to raise them up pretty high so they don't get shaded by the fairings. I found it hard to source pre-made mounts that could raise them enough, so we made our own instead. They bring the panels just a little shy of the fairing and give the whole install a nice, smooth look.

Don't bother with tilting unless you have a really special situation. Much easier (and probably less expensive) just to add a few more panels.

Just use VHB tape, on properly prepped surfaces, and don't put extra holes in your roof. Pool dicor around it to keep the sun and water off of it.

Do series up to at least 40 or 50V, or more if you can. This lets the MPPT work more efficiently and reduces wiring demand. At 50VDC+ you will need specialized circuit protection, but it is not a big deal once you source it.

Ideally, have a way to get up on the roof from time to time. We get a lot of gunk built up on our panels, so they need a mopping every three months or so or I start to see it in the performance data. And we trap a lot of sticks and debris around and under them, from driving down roads with low branches and from camping under trees. I like to go up there and clean all that out pretty often.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #23

Almost 2 years ago now but a pretty detailed experience of my DIY install. If I were to do it again today I would do more panels and 2 controllers.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/16-b...de-323250.html
Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I recommend that you get a quote from RV Solar Solutions also. I'm having them install 6 - 170W panels, a Victron solar charge controller and Victron battery monitor at their location near New Braunfels, TX in late February. RV Solar came highly recommended to me by a friend that had them perform an installation - it was a thoroughly professional job. The installed price is in the $5 - 6K range, which I believe is quite reasonable. I'm probably going to have them replace my nasty lead acid batteries with Lifeline AGMs also. Website is www.rvsolarsolutions.com
Ventana303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Tips if you go the DIY route:

I like to install the panels near the very edges of the roof, which means we needed to raise them up pretty high so they don't get shaded by the fairings. I found it hard to source pre-made mounts that could raise them enough, so we made our own instead. They bring the panels just a little shy of the fairing and give the whole install a nice, smooth look.

Good luck!

Nebster,

Any pictures or details you can share on the mounting? I want to do something similar - raised and close to the fairing. Did you attach to the roof or fairing, and how? Someone mentioned a flat roof mount by Iron Ridge
Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Any pictures or details you can share on the mounting? I want to do something similar - raised and close to the fairing. Did you attach to the roof or fairing, and how? Someone mentioned a flat roof mount by Iron Ridge
You bet, here's a shot of the first couple going up on the roof:

I just made some "feet" out of aluminum extrusion and screwed them into the solar panel frame. Then I taped them to the roof with VHB. Later, I puddled dicor around each of the feet to help the tape last longer in the elements.

Each panel has four feet, and each foot is 2 by 2 inches square. 16 square inches of VHB is enough that I can go up there and pull as hard as I want on them, and they won't budge.

I like the idea of a rail system, but on some RVs it's not practical because the space is too choppy. I really needed the ability to place each panel individually. And since no one can ever see them, I don't care if they're not perfectly lined up, unlike on a residential install.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
You bet, here's a shot of the first couple going up on the roof:

Thanks Nebster. Simple and elegant.

Tags
install, solar