Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm still not clear on my question.

So the A/C's are ducted to each other, but I am unclear if there are additional vents in the ceiling throughout. Like are their vents every 18 inches or does the ducting only connect one A/C to the other's dump? I can't quite recall from my last venture through one.
You can go to the Newmar website and search on "Total Comfort" you will see there how the Newmar A/C ducting works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are a couple of shots of the ducting in a 2015 DSDP with that cover dropped down. I believe the Ventana is identical. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-11 11.45.40.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	76436   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-11 11.45.51.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	76437  

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Here are a couple of shots of the ducting in a 2015 DSDP with that cover dropped down. I believe the Ventana is identical. Hope this helps.
Is the front the same? Couple of vents spaced out over 40"'s or so?

When did this become standard on the Dutchstar? That was like 13 or 14 yes?

BTW LOVE the look of the wood grates...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correct, the front ducting is similar. Someone shared these photos with me (don't take delivery of mine until January) but I looked under the front wood cover on a '15 Ventana and it was the same.

I checked brochures and 2014 was the first year for this ceiling design.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Something to keep in mind on whether you want two or three is for when you are traveling on those hot days and not just camped. Going west into a hot sun and not being able to cover the big windshield you will be glad you have 3 A\C's churning out cool air trying to compete with the heat from the glass. Randy
Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Correct, the front ducting is similar. Someone shared these photos with me (don't take delivery of mine until January) but I looked under the front wood cover on a '15 Ventana and it was the same.

I checked brochures and 2014 was the first year for this ceiling design.

Ok yeah, that's what I thought - hence my "largely unknown" comment. Matter of opinion - My thought is that this system of moving air just hasn't been in the wild enough to have gathered enough outward commentary on the forums to know with certainy if this system of ducting is a big winner, or a dud.

The only comment I have read so far trolling for likes and dislikes on the ventana was a report that an owner felt the wooden grate held back the air and or didn't distribute evenly enough for him, and the he found it better when he opened the wood grate while camped on hot days leaving it down. If I recall correctly, he went so far as to remove the wood entirely and hand craft his own cover which diverted air towards the middle of the coach. Can't locate the thread on a short search.

The last thing I trust is a brochure. I understand that the marketing department of a company will always paint everything in a good light while wearing roses. Not that I don't get excited reading them, cause I do!!!!! It's just that I'm slightly cynical and a little realistic about the spinning.

No matter, were it me (after living with 2 a/c for a while now) I would no doubt, no doubt ever in my mind, in no uncertain terms, 100%, carrying the ball, have three A/C units. Plus it might help resell value anyway.

I considered trading my entire bus - just so I could have a 3rd A/C - that's one expensive A/C.

What we learned, in the full texas sun, is that if we closed the 3 vents in the bedroom and the 1 vent in the bathroom, and we closed the rear slides, and we closed the door to the bedroom, and we closed 4 of the 8 vents in the fronts of the coach, and we ran both a/c's at full blast, we could cool the front off.

At night, the reverse. We closed all vents up front, opened the 3 in the bedroom, closed the door and blasted both a/c's - we could sleep.

I used to think the American Coach a/c duct vents were ugly and silly - then I learned the beauty of them! Having 11 vents you can open and close is actually REALLY smart. Consequently, the New American Coaches have the same vents... and at first I thought, geez guys.... update please! But now I understand a little better.

First thing I noticed in the ventana is that this level of control was omitted. But I thought, who knows.. maybe they are smart and it just works. Dunno.

And I'm buying a windshield outside screen STAT!!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #35

Many thanks!

My thanks to Steve Ownby, GaryKD, CampingCajun, pasdad1, Route 66, osok, hawgguy, tednruthy, Mr_D, Sky_Boss, TexasTom, KenNJ, steved44, harleychief, danleininger, nforus, Randyman1, plasma800 (for Jay’s additional subject concerns), and Dutch Star Don’s experience in Lake Havasu (area where we have VC home).

steved44…not really good when the temps in Oklahoma got in the 105 degree range.
I know it gets hot in the Midwest and when you add the humidity factor, blah.

Route 66…The fiberglass roof is white also, so I don't think there is a difference in the effect on cooling.
Didn’t realize that. Will probably opt out of that option and keep the Brite TEK roof.

Harleychief…Last summer 1 of the 3 A/C units went bad while we were on the gulf coast of MS. I was glad I had 2 other ones that worked.
Didn’t think of this at all! Excellent insight for me.

Danleininge…The Frameless Windows are Dual Pane. I don't think you can go wrong on the Polar Insulation Package. Insulation works Hot or Cold.
Thought so, but I was too lazy to look it up while posting on irv2.

Randyman1…Going west into a hot sun and not being able to cover the big windshield you will be glad you have 3 A\C's churning out cool air trying to compete with the heat from the glass.
Something else that had not come to my mind. Thanks.

So, after reading the Post replies, the DW is getting more interested and comfortable with the idea of ordering up a Ventana 4369. Just don’t tell her that it’s actually 43 feet and 10 inches!
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
...I find the windshield is the biggest culprit as it's uninsulated. If you don't mind the interruption on the view, get some of the Bubble Insulation from HD or Lowes that's 4 feet wide and run a piece across the entire windshield. You will be amazed at the difference.

Oh, BTW, I also vote for the 3 ACs,
Better yet, get a windshield cover. It is always better to block the heat BEFORE in gets inside the glass versus reflecting it out again. HUGE difference when we went from an inside block to an external block.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good deal and don't hesitate to PM me if you need more specific info on the 4369. More than happy to help.

Good luck
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Forgot to mention one other good thing about 3 A/Cs, the generator. With 3 you get the 10K instead of the 8K. When you look at the service intervals between the 2 of them you'll see the 10k needs PM less frequently. Pitch it to the DW that you'll actually be saving $$ in the long run with the bigger coach with 3 A/Cs.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
You can go to the Newmar website and search on "Total Comfort" you will see there how the Newmar A/C ducting works.
You mean this amazingly brilliant web page?

Total Comfort - Newmar

Very informative. I mean it has a diagram and everything

Sorry if this sounds facetious, absolutely no offense meant at all - it's just that the website doesn't discuss it in any detail across model ranges. All the page says is "Hey, we have some coolin' on this thang - it makes hot air colder"

And if there's a better page than this on the subject on newmar's site, I sure couldn't find it easily.

Further, I think it's difficult to try to use this one tiny "say nothing" description to cover all models across the lineup, as they really are vastly different. Again, didn't dig to hard on my part.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
Forgot to mention one other good thing about 3 A/Cs, the generator. With 3 you get the 10K instead of the 8K. When you look at the service intervals between the 2 of them you'll see the 10k needs PM less frequently. Pitch it to the DW that you'll actually be saving $$ in the long run with the bigger coach with 3 A/Cs.
GREAT POINT, the bigger genset generally operates at lower RPM's...
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Better yet, get a windshield cover. It is always better to block the heat BEFORE in gets inside the glass versus reflecting it out again. HUGE difference when we went from an inside block to an external block.
I absolutely agree that it's best to block the heat before it gets into the MH. The very best idea I've seen was a fellow RVer that put the Bubble Insulation UNDER the Windshield Cover. Now that really would work well. In 100+ temps I would even consider pulling in some of the slides to minimize the outside surface area.

I've never owned a Windshield Cover...looks too hard to install and takes up too much storage space for me. But I've generally like the way they look once installed
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm gettin them magna shades right away!

Tags
newmar