Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

2 or 3 15K Penguins? Your real world Newmar experience please.

After years of research, including lurking thru the irv2 search tab, we have narrowed down the search for our Full-Time coach to either a new 2015 Phaeton or Ventana. Since the cost of our new coach will be above any S&B we have ever owned, the final decision will be very important. Especially since this our first and possibly last coach purchase (heck, I’ve never even driven a DP before).

I know that both Tiffin and Newmar like to tout the insulation efficiency of their coach’s. However, I would appreciate some feedback in the form of real experience since we will more than likely go with Newmar.

We will be using our coach at the Colorado River in Arizona where the summer temps can average 113* degrees and occasionally go as high as 120*. Also, we will find ourselves in hot temps east of the Rockies in areas where you’ll find the dreaded high humidity (West Coast boy not used to it).

So, bearing in mind that that the DW will want it to be somewhere between 70* and 72* inside, will the 40’ Ventana 4037 with dual 15K A/C’s (the only available option) handle these conditions or do I need to consider the 43’ Ventana 4069 with a triple 15K A/C option?

As a side note, we are fine with the 40’ for full-timing it as we don’t want to take much with us. All I really need are some t-shirts, shorts, Levis, and a big screen TV. Just don't know if the DW would be comfortable driving a 43 footer even though I will be doing most of the driving (as usual).
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
After years of research, including lurking thru the irv2 search tab, we have narrowed down the search for our Full-Time coach to either a new 2015 Phaeton or Ventana. Since the cost of our new coach will be above any S&B we have ever owned, the final decision will be very important. Especially since this our first and possibly last coach purchase (heck, I’ve never even driven a DP before).

I know that both Tiffin and Newmar like to tout the insulation efficiency of their coach’s. However, I would appreciate some feedback in the form of real experience since we will more than likely go with Newmar.

We will be using our coach at the Colorado River in Arizona where the summer temps can average 113* degrees and occasionally go as high as 120*. Also, we will find ourselves in hot temps east of the Rockies in areas where you’ll find the dreaded high humidity (West Coast boy not used to it).

So, bearing in mind that that the DW will want it to be somewhere between 70* and 72* inside, will the 40’ Ventana 4037 with dual 15K A/C’s (the only available option) handle these conditions or do I need to consider the 43’ Ventana 4069 with a triple 15K A/C option?

As a side note, we are fine with the 40’ for full-timing it as we don’t want to take much with us. All I really need are some t-shirts, shorts, Levis, and a big screen TV. Just don't know if the DW would be comfortable driving a 43 footer even though I will be doing most of the driving (as usual).

SOB driver here with 7 years full time in a 40' coach with 3 13,500 btu units. I've been in temps from zero to 102 and have never needed all 3 units unless I had let the temp get too high & wanted to cool fast. In very high temp, keep shades down on the sun side and use windshield cover of some type. That big piece of glass can transmit heat.

I would buy the length coach I wanted. I can't I imagine a situation that the 2 15k units would not be enough.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
3! This is a no brainer. better to have it and not need it than the reverse.

And what might work for Steve, might not work for you + your coaches might not hold cold air the same way. You might also feel differently about what's "hot".

In the summer I was in the direct sun, with 2 A/C units - it was 92 inside the coach - and I was fussing for a third A/C I don't have - and I would never buy A Ventana that didn't come with 3/ac from the factory - none of this "oh we can add that for you" from the dealer junk.

Plus the new Ventana system of moving air is largely an unknown - there are no ducts (which might be better) and a wood grate over the dump - haven't heard anybody try two in a full summer sun yet.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No ducts ?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pretty positive it's a straight dump. Plus side is, no ducts to get hot in the roof.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bullitt,
More is always better. In addition to the obvious reasons, one will be exercising the units less with 3 than if there are 2. Less wear an tear over the long run.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #7

I would go with 3 units. We may be trading in our current 40' for a 43' model with 3 ac units. If we decide to keep it I will be putting in a 3rd heat pump in the 40'.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Community Moderator

2 or 3 15K Penguins? Your real world Newmar experience please.

I have read way too many posts from other members saying 2 Air conditioners is not adequate in 100+ outside temperatures ! Plus you say you want it in the 70 degree
range......

Heck even my S&B house can't cool to 72 when it's 100 degrees outside !

ABSOLUTELY get the 3 air conditioners !

Oh, by the way you won't even notice the difference driving a 40 vs 43 foot coach.
If the 43 comes with a tag and the 40 didn't, the tag axle will make the driving EASIER !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

I had two 15K A/Cs in my 40' DSDP and could have used 3 many times.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Plus the new Ventana system of moving air is largely an unknown - there are no ducts (which might be better) and a wood grate over the dump. Pretty positive it's a straight dump. Plus side is, no ducts to get hot in the roof.
system of moving air is largely an unknown? Statement is wrong.

For the OP, our 3 AC's keeps us as cool as we want in Texas heat. As for driving the 43' 10" it is only 3' longer. I suggest to get the 3rd AC to cool that extra 3'.

Maybe 007 will see this and give you a Ventana brochure.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post

For the OP, our 3 AC's keeps us as cool as we want in Texas heat. As for driving the 43' 10" it is only 3' longer. Get the 3rd AC to cool that extra 3'.

Maybe I'm wrong... what year did they start installing the wood grates over the A/C in the Ventana? I was for some reason thinking that started in 14....
Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post

For the OP, our 3 AC's keeps us as cool as we want in Texas heat. As for driving the 43' 10" it is only 3' longer. Get the 3rd AC to cool that extra 3'.

And maybe you can clear this up for me, since you own one and I've only played with them... Does the ventana have ducted a/c with vents throughout, or is it a straight dump through the wood grates front and back?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong... what year did they start installing the wood grates over the A/C in the Ventana? I was for some reason thinking that started in 14....
You are correct it was 2014, and in Dutch Stars before that. Not an unknown system. Just to be clear the 3 AC's are ducted together so if you turn just one on you will get air throughout the coach.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2014 40' Dutch Star that came with the two 15K A/C's. In 8 months in California, we've already come across a few times that a third A/C was needed.

Havasu in the summer is a place where you definitely need three units.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar