Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

2 Questions

1) Trying to replace a bulb in the rear tail light assemble of my 2001 Essex (should be simple, right?). I got the outside cover off, then removed the 3 small screws and removed the gray plastic cover. I'm now looking at the 3 bulbs. I can't get them to budge and don't want to break anything (which for me would be a first). There appear to be two plastic tabs on each side of the socket that hold the bulb in place, but I can't tell if these need to be squeezed together, spread apart, or just left alone. Do I just use gorilla strength to pull the dang bulb out? Doe the tabs need to be pushed or pulled? I'm tempted to grab the thing with needle nose pliers and just yank, but if anyone has guidance it would be appreciated.

2) Any hint as to where the inverter is located? I've crawled around the bays and assume it is going to be fairly close to the battery compartments, but I can't find it. Trying to reset it to hopefully get my fridge going and the LED control panel above the driver's seat is not allowing me to go from "Off" to "On."

This day is high on the frustration list!! Thank you all for any shared wisdom!
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

Most bulbs need to be turned to remove. They have pins on the side that engage into the socket to hold tight.

As far as your inverter, my previous 99 MADP was located in the compartment behind right rear tire. Newer ones are in front of axle in basement up under the floor. Older inverter was much easier to get to.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

To remove/insert most old style automobile tail light bulbs, you need to PUSH on the bulb as you are turning.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

If you can take a picture of the base and post it. If you see plastic at the base that is part of the bulb I'll bet they just pull straight out, no twisting.

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilnoff View Post
1) Trying to replace a bulb in the rear tail light assemble of my 2001 Essex (should be simple, right?). I got the outside cover off, then removed the 3 small screws and removed the gray plastic cover. I'm now looking at the 3 bulbs. I can't get them to budge and don't want to break anything (which for me would be a first). There appear to be two plastic tabs on each side of the socket that hold the bulb in place, but I can't tell if these need to be squeezed together, spread apart, or just left alone. Do I just use gorilla strength to pull the dang bulb out? Doe the tabs need to be pushed or pulled? I'm tempted to grab the thing with needle nose pliers and just yank, but if anyone has guidance it would be appreciated.

2) Any hint as to where the inverter is located? I've crawled around the bays and assume it is going to be fairly close to the battery compartments, but I can't find it. Trying to reset it to hopefully get my fridge going and the LED control panel above the driver's seat is not allowing me to go from "Off" to "On."

This day is high on the frustration list!! Thank you all for any shared wisdom!
What year is your Essex? You noted 2001, but they did not make them in 2001, so maybe a typo?

The inverter on my previous (06) Essex is mounted up between the frame, accessible from the cabinet in front of the pegboard or TV cabinet. Take everything out, and lay on your back to access it. You will see a reset button on the inverter.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
What year is your Essex? You noted 2001, but they did not make them in 2001, so maybe a typo?

The inverter on my previous (06) Essex is mounted up between the frame, accessible from the cabinet in front of the pegboard or TV cabinet. Take everything out, and lay on your back to access it. You will see a reset button on the inverter.
He has a 2011 Essex as per previous posts.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
He has a 2011 Essex as per previous posts.
Thanks for the feedback and yes, it's a 2011. I spoke to the Newmar people in IN this morning and they said this fixture is the type that does pull straight out. It's not the automotive type where you depress to disengage the small tit from the slot and then remove. I explained that most things I touch I break, and he said just pull it out. Because they get very hot and can almost bind to the socket it will be hard to pull but that I (probably) won't break anything.

You all were spot on regarding the inverter. It's in a bay up between the frame rails. Not easy to spot and they said I will probably have to lay on my back to get to it.

Thanks again to everyone & safe travels--
Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see people saying PUSH and Turn.. yes. this is the procedure for Bayonet Type bulbs.. Wedge type bulbs you just PULL no turn.

And that is only TWO of the possible mounts.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
1. The taillight bulb is a straight push-in/pull-out bulb. I ended up having to replace the assembly because the socket was defective (looked burned)

2. Inverter is between the rails in The bay on the curb side next to the outdoor TV (4th bay counting from the rear). In addition to the reset button there are procedures in the Magnum manual for a soft reboot and a hard reboot. None of it worked for me, and the RV shop I used had to replace the inverter. (Magnum says they can be rebuilt, but I have an after market warranty with a reasonable deductible so went with a new one)
Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monfish View Post
1. The taillight bulb is a straight push-in/pull-out bulb. I ended up having to replace the assembly because the socket was defective (looked burned)

2. Inverter is between the rails in The bay on the curb side next to the outdoor TV (4th bay counting from the rear). In addition to the reset button there are procedures in the Magnum manual for a soft reboot and a hard reboot. None of it worked for me, and the RV shop I used had to replace the inverter. (Magnum says they can be rebuilt, but I have an after market warranty with a reasonable deductible so went with a new one)
Looks like my inverter/charger will also need to be replaced. I was on the phone from the campground with the Newmar reps and they walked me through several checkouts and there is power to the inverter but no power coming from it. We bagged the trip and came home and will be incontact with a local service tech tomorrow. If he confirms the diagnosis from the factory and there are no internal or other fuses causing the problem I'll have the unit replaced. For of those who may have made this swap out, did you all go with the Magnum MS2812 (which is now installed), or did you upgrade to a different unit? My basic thought was "plug & play" with a new unit may be easiest and most cost effective approach. Regards --
Old 11-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I went back with the MS2812. Magnum has a 3000 watt hybrid model that seems to be the same size, but decided I didn't need it
Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monfish View Post
I went back with the MS2812. Magnum has a 3000 watt hybrid model that seems to be the same size, but decided I didn't need it
Ditto: The inverter was the culprit. Ordered a new one from CA yesterday and it is supposed to come in this afternoon delivered to my house. Hope to have it installed by early next week and next trip is 12/23 - 27 for Christmas in Galveston.