Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #1

2000 Mountain Aire

I just bought my Newmar and have several questions that Newmar could not answer....proably due to the age. The first is how to release the spare tire, Newmar seemed to think I did not have one....I do. Second is on the solar panel. I get no red light on the dash...not sure if it is working or do I need to flip a switch. I checked the 5 amp fuse...ok.
What is the blower fan switch in the hold for. It is in the hold with the electrical cord and the outside shower and low point drains. Next to sewer commpartment.
Finally..there is a black switch with red light in panel above door. I think it might be for the water heater/propane but not sure. There is a switch next to it marked water heater but I think that might be the electric option.

My guess is similar switches exist in near by years with Mountain aire and Kountry Star. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
tedsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most MH don't come with a spare. Probably the last owner had one custom installed
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What model do you have? Is it gas or diesel? That will help some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsfam View Post
...The first is how to release the spare tire, ...

I don't think that was a standard or option from Newmar.

I get no red light on the dash...not sure if it is working or do I need to flip a switch. I checked the 5 amp fuse...ok.

I am not aware of any fuses for that little charger. Perhaps the LED is at fault.

What is the blower fan switch in the hold for. It is in the hold with the electrical cord and the outside shower and low point drains.

It is probably a blower that can be activated to pull hot air from your furnace duct system into the water bay to help avoid freezing. If so, it can be tested by turning it on and then setting the furnace to run. It should only run with the furnace blower is running.

Finally..there is a black switch with red light in panel above door. I think it might be for the water heater/propane but not sure. There is a switch next to it marked water heater but I think that might be the electric option....

Not familiar with that but it is probable that you have a separate switch for electric and LP water heating functions.
If you have any photos, it might be helpful.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

The switch with red light, above the door is, the water heater 12v power to control the propane side of the heater and the 120v switch above it is the electric side. There is also a, small black, rocker switch outside for electric control , lower left corner , behind the propane tube.
Users manuals for the appliances are available online from the manufacturers.
Blower fan switch in the water bay is to boost the heat supplied to the bay in cold weather to prevent damage, when using coach in the winter.
The fan is ducted from the furnace and the cold air return ( on my coach) is a small grill in the front of the shower stall, but that will vary with floor plan.
What chassis is your coach built on? Spartan or Freightliner?
Coaches with 22.5" tires aren't normally supplied with a spare, so as Tricker56 says ; probably a custom install.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Second post , missed your question on the solar , indicator on the dash .
The factory installed unit , about 9" square has no controller or switch.
If you test at the fuse terminals with the fuse removed and the coach in full sun, you should get chassis battery volts on one side and about 14v from the panel on the other if it's working.

NOTE: and don't ask how I know this , if you are working on dash electrical and looking for power ( blown fuse , with a meter) remove the solar fuse, or you will get a false power reading.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

Our coach also came with a small battery maintainer solar panel mounted on top of the front AC unit. When the red led light on dash was on, the battery was receiving a charge, when battery fully charged the red light would go off.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Our coach also came with a small battery maintainer solar panel mounted on top of the front AC unit. When the red led light on dash was on, the battery was receiving a charge, when battery fully charged the red light would go off.
I don't think the light actually indicates the state of battery charge. I think it only indicates that the solar panel is putting out some kind of power. I also think that the brighter the outside light, the brighter the LED. I could be wrong but look at that light when it is dark outside and see if it is still lit up.

I can be retrained. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

As for the spare tire....My 96 has a spare tire holder and it is factory. The back bumper slides out. The release for mine is in the last bay on the driver's side, it's a silver colored T-shape handle that pulls out. You might have to slide up under the rear of the MH to trace the cable if yours is in a different place, also, I frequently spray my release points with lubricant so it functions smoothly.

Yep, I too get it all the time with people telling me that "Most MH don't come with a spare." but it's not true. Maybe not anymore, but they did, at least mine does and I bet yours did too.

Kaye

BTW: the brochure for the 2000 MA does list the slide out tray for a spare:

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...es/2000mab.pdf
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #9

I think that was the trick, have not had a chance to look, been working and now raining ....yes raining in AZ. But all indications are the lever in the hold is the bumper release. Thanks for the heads up
Old 01-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #10

Help

Thanks for all the input, all of your answers and suggestions helped me out to finalize the various switches and what for's. See ya on the road. Ted
Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Skip is right
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The small Solar panel is shown in this PDF.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote