RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

We recently purchased a 2001 Dutch Star built on a Spartan chassis. I am changing all fluids and have some questions.
1) To drain the Hydraulic system for the power steering and fan, you remove the hose from the bottom of the resorvior??
this seems like it will make quite a mess.

2) How do I manually blow down the air tanks. I can not find a manual valve on the two air tanks. I have changed the dessicant filter for the air system.

3) How do I drain the HWH hydraulic system for the levelers? Where is the filter(s) located?

We have a manual but I am not able to find the detail I need for these questions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
SNAIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #2

We recently purchased a 2001 Dutch Star built on a Spartan chassis. I am changing all fluids and have some questions.
1) To drain the Hydraulic system for the power steering and fan, you remove the hose from the bottom of the resorvior??
this seems like it will make quite a mess.

2) How do I manually blow down the air tanks. I can not find a manual valve on the two air tanks. I have changed the dessicant filter for the air system.

3) How do I drain the HWH hydraulic system for the levelers? Where is the filter(s) located?

We have a manual but I am not able to find the detail I need for these questions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 AM   #3

Well I will give it a try.

1) I would think a suction pump would be best. There are manual ones that look like a grease gun, but have a hose on the front. Put the hose in and pull the piston back, empty it and do it again. Also there are electric normally used to remove oil from an inboard boat motor.

2) If you want to use your on-board air you will nood a hose and an air gun. The air gun noozle has an on/off button on it.

3) The HWH pump is, I believe made by Fenner Stone. There is no drain and must be sucked out or removed and turned over and emptied. Being a Fedder Stone, I would think there is no filter but for a intake suction screen located within the tank assembly. The tank must be removed to access it. Generally this should not be required.

Peter
Old 04-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #4

Thank you lug_nut.

I really wanted to remove all the hydraulic oil from the system. The hose from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump suction needs to be replaced. I was trying to avoid the mess, hoping there was a drain i didn't know about.

On the air tank, I want to blow down any water or oil in the tank. On large trucks there is a valve on the bottom of the air tank that can be opened and blow down anything in the tank.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SNAIL1:
Thank you lug_nut.

I really wanted to remove all the hydraulic oil from the system. The hose from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump suction needs to be replaced. I was trying to avoid the mess, hoping there was a drain i didn't know about.

Oh, okay. You are looking for the air tank drain valve. They are all accessed up near the front axle. Your coach would have originally come with pastic coated aircraft cable lanyards that are connected to the spring loaded valve and has the other end fastened just back of the door entrance step. You can't see them, but reach under there and try to find the two cables. If you do, pull them sideways and you should hear the air valves.

Peter

On the air tank, I want to blow down any water or oil in the tank. On large trucks there is a valve on the bottom of the air tank that can be opened and blow down anything in the tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
SNAIL1, The hydraulic tank has a plug at the bottom of it. Put a container under the pan, remove the plug and you can drain the reservoir.

My reservoir has an internal filter that as well as a spin on filter in the supply line going to the fan motor and power steering. Yours may be a little different, but you will have the internal filter that needs to be changed. To get to the internal filter, you unbolt the strap holding the top on the reservoir, remove the strap, and remove the top, after you have drained the reservoir.

Be sure you replace the hydraulic fluid with the proper fluid. Use only AW32, or AW46 fluid in your unit, which ever is on the hydraulic reservoir. If you don't know which one, call Spartan and find out. I don't think it will do any damage as long as you use either one, just do not use automatic transmission fluid. It will ruin the system.

You can get the hydraulic fluid at most any NAPA store, but you may have to purchase it in a 5 gallon bucket. You will only need about 2 gallons or so.

However, your hydraulic jacks use automatic transmission fluid, and I think it is the same as Dextron III.

FWIW
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The only drains I know of are the reservoir drain and you can remove the spin-on filter in the hydraulic line, if you have one.

That should remove enough fluid to where you can take the top of the line loose and dump the rest of it into a bucket, if I understand which line you are talking about.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 AM   #8

Thanks for your comments, they have helped.

I talked to Spartan and Newmar yesterday and found that the only way to drain the hydraulic system is to remove the plug in the bottom of the reservoir and let it go. I plan to use a funnel or pipe to direct the oil into a bucket.
Mine only has the internal filter and I ordered it from Spartan.

Newmar told me that on the HWH hydraulic jacks there is no filter in the system! That suprised me. The fluid drain plug is in the bottom of the reservior which is located at front of the coach passenger side beside the genny. Mine uses Dextron III.

The air supply tanks have automatic purge valves so I don't have to manually blow down. I still want to check. On something as important as this I want to make sure any water and crud is blown out of the system.

Thanks again for your comments.