RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2020, 01:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2001 Dutch Star 4095 Fuse locations

The stars on our unit will not retract when the engine starts. They worked as they should on the way to where we are and when we fired up to move to a newer larger site the stairs stayed out. If anyone knows the fuse location I sure would appreciate the heads up. Oh and there is no storage opening on the coach under the drivers seat,
Dennis, Denise and Mizzie (Tail Wagger Emeritus) living as Full Time RV Mutants #40
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 02:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
The stars on our unit will not retract when the engine starts. They worked as they should on the way to where we are and when we fired up to move to a newer larger site the stairs stayed out. If anyone knows the fuse location I sure would appreciate the heads up. Oh and there is no storage opening on the coach under the drivers seat,
Also check the contact (sensor?) at the door, probably mounted low on the screen door. It can easily become slightly misaligned with a minor tweak to the screen door and it doesn’t take much to throw it off.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

My Duchstar is a little newer but may be similar lay out. No storage bay under the drivers seat either. There are fuse locations all over the coach.

Under the hood in the front, enclosed in a plastic panel. Mostly chassis related.

Under a Velcro attached cover on the dash in front of steering wheel.

In the electrical bay at the rear behind a black plastic panel held on with Velcro. Most of these are coach related and also includes the battery relays and BIRD module.

Then there are a number on 12v fuses located in a bedroom overhead cabinet next to the 120v breaker panel.

I have also found a few inline randomly.

Good luck with your search.

Make sure the step switch is turned to the correct position in the front overhead. One position locks the steps out if turned on when the steps are out. Also you can download the Kwikee step trouble shooting guide on line. The way you describe the problem it could be the control module just died.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Have you found the issue yet?

Under the cover on the dash should be a fuse for the steps. But I'd also check the ground wire on your steps, (be very careful so as not to get any body part between the steps when checking the wiring. Also have you actually checked the 4 pin harness connector under the steps for power, It's the red wire.

It's not uncommon for the motors to go out as well. Good news is that if your step is already out, removing the motor is easy. Replaced my motor and steps on my prior 02 Dutch Star three times.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Have you found the issue yet?
Not yet.
Quote:

Under the cover on the dash should be a fuse for the steps. But I'd also check the ground wire on your steps, (be very careful so as not to get any body part between the steps when checking the wiring. Also have you actually checked the 4 pin harness connector under the steps for power, It's the red wire.
Thank you. I will get under the steps and check these issues out when everything dries out. In southern Vancouver Island at the moment and it the monsoon season in the Pacific Northwet.
Quote:

It's not uncommon for the motors to go out as well. Good news is that if your step is already out, removing the motor is easy. Replaced my motor and steps on my prior 02 Dutch Star three times.
It is supposed to be sunny for the next few days so I will probably get a chance to examine and discover the problems. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dennis, Denise and Mizzie (Tail Wagger Emeritus) living as Full Time RV Mutants #40
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, dutch star, fuse