RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
2001 Dutch Star water leak?

My brother just bought a 2001 Dutch Star 37' rig and we drove it home last night.

About 1/2 through the trip, my brother told me that water was leaking from near the area of the wet bay. We pulled over, and there was water dripping from above the wet bay right at the outside wall, and after being parked for about five minutes had leaked about a gallon or so of water. Water also got to the storage compartment to the rear of the wet bay. The electric bay was dry.

It had rained the previous couple of days. We had run the AC for about four hours yesterday to check it out. There was about ten gallons of water mixed with bleach to sanitize the water system in the tank and lines, but the leaking water did *not* smell like bleach.

All cupboards and easily seen water and sewer lines were not leaking, and the water heater did not have any observable leaks. I could see evidence of a previous water leak in the closet where we can access what I believe is the water pump, but could not smell any bleach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

The only leak I have experienced that resembles your description was caused by a faulty Vacuum Breaker. This device, on mine anyway, is mounted next to the bathroom sink, tucked well up out of sight.
The purpose is to prevent back flow of water from the sewer flush into the fresh water system when using city water to flush the black tank.
The problem only occurs of course when flushing the black tank.
Hope this helps, otherwise, just keep on looking is about all you can do.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had that same issue in my new-ish ORV trailer. I'll look at it, but we did not dump or use the black tank rinse system.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 1bigmess,
Was the water pump on or off? Make sure the water pump is off. Then check for leaks. The water pump can leak from several places. Post the results here.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion!

The water pump was on. Now that you mention it, after shutting the pump off, the leaking stopped.

Is the water pump in the closet to the right of the area the water tank behind the little door? How can I access the areas behind walls or under floors to get a look?
Old 04-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!

The water pump was on. Now that you mention it, after shutting the pump off, the leaking stopped.

Is the water pump in the closet to the right of the area the water tank behind the little door? How can I access the areas behind walls or under floors to get a look?

On my 03 the water pump is tucked up in the wet bay on the left side.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
On my 03 the water pump is tucked up in the wet bay on the left side.
That makes a lot of sense. I had added bleach to the fresh tank, but didn't smell it in the water that I found in the wet bay. I'll definitely double check it, though.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2001 Dutch Star water leak?

If the leak is in the water system, driven by the pump, then you will periodically hear the water pump cycling. If the pump doesn't cycle-- even for just a second every 5 minutes-- then that's not your problem.

You estimated the leak was running about a gallon in 5 minutes. That's a hell of a lot of water. It would leave most of your belly carpet soaked through, or a wet area on the ground the size of half your coach.

Keep in mind, the two roof airs just drop any condensate onto the roof, and it finds its way off solely by gravity. I am constantly amazed at the quantity of condensate water coming off my roof. I keep meaning to install drain tubes, but never seem to get to it. Depending on the angle and location, that condensate drip sometimes finds its way in behind the belly doors.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've got a 21 foot body trailer, and when running the AC down on the TX Gulf Coast where I've been staying for the past two + weeks, the condensate water drips off the roof. My brothers Dutch Star has much more interior space to cool, and a second AC. I still think it was too much water for the two ACs even in South TX spring time warmth and humidity.

We're working with the idea that the plumbing is the problem, and will be sliding out the kitchen and looking all around for the leak tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you overfill the water holding tank? Last fall I seemed to have overfilled mine and had a big mess in one of the compartments. I haven't gotten back to figuring out why the overfilled tank leaked in my compartment.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It was about a quarter full, about ten gallons. We'll watch for overfilling the tank and driving later on though. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We spent much longer today tracking down the water leak. There is a leak at the shower drain, easily fixed.

There is a leak in the drain plumbing from the kitchen (located in the slide out) that shows itself by leaking out behind the gray water tank in the wet bay. My brother got under to look at it and he pretty much doesn't really know exactly what he's seeing but he's thinking about getting an RV tech type to look at it in the hopes of this being a problem the repair tech has seen before and knows exactly what needs to be done.

We suspect it's the flexible piping for the slide. It's a slide, so there has to be a flexible pipe in the system, right? I honestly don't know.

Tags
dutch star, leak, water, water leak