Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #1

2001 Hydraulic Pump Supply Hose Size?

I have got some oil dripping from the bottom of hydraulic tank on my 2001 DS, (cummins/spartan). I think the supply hose is the culprit and tightening the gear clamps only helps for a bit. Before I engage in the messy task of removing and replacing this old one (looks like its probably the original), does anyone know off-hand what size this hose is? I'm referring to the one that goes from the hydraulic tank to the engine-mounted pump (has no fittings and is just slipped on and gear-clamped). Looks like I have to buy several feet of it but it would be nice if I can have the correct hose ready and get this done in one go.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
They should be 1". i just replaced both return hoses on mine.
if you clean off enough crud, it'll tell you on the hose.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

I think it is 1" I just had to repair on the side of the road the pressure line on my 2001 spartan 4095, it had rubbed/wore a hole in the line just forward to the trans where it makes the bend going up towards the front (power steering) for reference it is a 40ft 3/4" 2wire high pressure hose, I fixed mine by cutting out the bad section with a 4.25" grinder with a metal cut off wheel and using 3/4" reusable field applied male & female fittings for a permanent repair that did not involve replacing a 40ft long hose... with the right fittings and tools at hand it is a 1hr fix... (and 10 gallons of hyd fluid) tools required (end cutters to clip wire ties) 2 9/16 wrenches to r/r support straps, grinder with metal cutoff wheel don't even try a hack saw, a few rags and paper towels, 7/8" wrench, 1" wrench 1 1/8 wrench or large crescent wrenches/pipe wrenches... flashlight. long funnel... I had to use 2 red solo cups to get hyd fluid into the funnel, cheers
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDodge View Post
They should be 1". i just replaced both return hoses on mine.
if you clean off enough crud, it'll tell you on the hose.
My hose is clean but the markings are long gone. The supply hose (bottom of reservoir/tank to pump mounted on engine) is larger than that. After the replies I crawled underneath mine with a tape measure. The OD is closer to 2" on my hose.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytl View Post
I think it is 1" I just had to repair on the side of the road the pressure line on my 2001 spartan 4095, it had rubbed/wore a hole in the line just forward to the trans where it makes the bend going up towards the front (power steering) for reference it is a 40ft 3/4" 2wire high pressure hose, I fixed mine by cutting out the bad section with a 4.25" grinder with a metal cut off wheel and using 3/4" reusable field applied male & female fittings for a permanent repair that did not involve replacing a 40ft long hose... with the right fittings and tools at hand it is a 1hr fix... (and 10 gallons of hyd fluid) tools required (end cutters to clip wire ties) 2 9/16 wrenches to r/r support straps, grinder with metal cutoff wheel don't even try a hack saw, a few rags and paper towels, 7/8" wrench, 1" wrench 1 1/8 wrench or large crescent wrenches/pipe wrenches... flashlight. long funnel... I had to use 2 red solo cups to get hyd fluid into the funnel, cheers
The hose I am replacing is the supply hose, not a pressure hose. Much larger and no fittings. I may have to just take a section to the shop to match it up.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Give Spartan a call. I had them quote one for me a few years ago.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Give Spartan a call. I had them quote one for me a few years ago.

I talked to Jeff at Spartan this morning. Ordered a set of hydraulic oil filters and the gasket for the lid since I am draining it anyway. All he could tell me about the hose in question is it appears to be 1-1/4" ID. That jives with a hydraulic oil supply oil hose I found that is 1.25" ID and 1.770" OD (I eyeballed it to be 2" underneath with a tape measure.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

Loosen the clamp on that hose and back it off just enough to measure its ID which is the same as the OD of the fitting it goes on.

If you don't have calipers, Make some cardboard "cutouts" in 1/8" increments, or if backing off that little bit doesn't cause a big leak, just take the cardboard and scissors under there and use that to verify hose size.

And, when you buy new hose, make sure it is rated for oil.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #9

Got the job done today. It is/was 1-1/2" ID hose. I got a petroleum spec suction hose (4' was required) from a local hydraulic shop. Getting the old one off was a fight- might be the original and did NOT want to come off either end. Cutting it was futile as well with the steel wire reinforcement.

Since I drained the hydraulic oil (and don't trust the "maintenance" I've seen from the previous owner), I replaced the three filters. Got them and a gasket directly from Spartan. The filters are fleetguard so I can buy them direct from my truck parts guys next time.

Found during the job that no reservoir lid gasket was put back in during the last "service" (again, thanks to the self-labelled "meticulous maintainer" that I bought the coach from). Could have certainly been the source of a lot of the mess though the tank was messy on the outside, it wasn't dripping wet. The lid was a bear to get back on with the new gasket (probably why the last clown didn't put one back in). I had to simply get longer bolts to get the clamps aligned in place and all the parts tightened together evenly and properly.

I drained out nearly 5 gallons of AW32 but it took only 4 to refill. I'll have to recheck and probably top up after a drive. Maybe it takes the filters take a minute or two to fill up.

Hope this fixes the weeping/slow drip. It was an awful lot of messy work for nothing if it doesn't.

Tags
hose, hydraulic, pump