Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778 Vortec engine

Im looking very hard at this coach. I was wondering if this unit has the heated basement?

I was also wondering if I gave Newmar a call with the VIN number can I find out if there were any recalls and if the work was done? Also can I get the owners manual for this particularly coach from Newmar?

If there are any owners who have this coach, How do you like it and is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks All
RJ8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Within this link you will find information on the Workhorse chassis and yes the furnace feed heat to the tank areas by the use of foil duct with a 12v fan in it that runs when furnace runs.
The link provided has instructions for finding out info when coach was built by using COM_NET. Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide.
Workhorse chassis is covered in this link read sticky top of forum also in it.
I had a KSCA 2003 on WH best coach I ever had and with some adds on the new coach chassis, best in driving in cruise all the time Alinson Trans great.
The link has a check list you need to read, motor bolt mounts never a problem in my coach but other items you need to look at and in my signature will find links to your Appliances in coach.
I am on and off the forum these days will check in to see how your doing. You can find out by recalls on this forum and my friend ED Gray will help you the w-22 chassis had brake caliper recall that should be done by now and COM_NET will give them all. Just read the instructions I have given.
Good luck and enjoy the reading.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 Mountain Aire 8100 Vortec Workhorse W22. Bought it at 26,000 miles. At 34,000 miles now. Driven it from PA to Maine to Arizona to Oregon and back to PA and planning to head back to California this Fall. I have upgraded a few things, safety-plus steering, new shocks, added Roadmaster front and rear stabilizers, replaced the shocks, had the Brake Calibers recall done and new breaks and tires. Replaced the starter in California. I have gone over the Chassis and removed rust sanded and used converter and painted after we stayed 4 months on the ocean in Maine. Oil changes are easy to do yourself. It is a bit noisy driving as engine is in front. I replaced the house batteries and I added a 200 watt solar system, and 4 backup camera system. Icdid a tuneup on the 6600 watt Generac generator. The appliances all work well.. slides work, It's OK. The interior is well built. It holding up well for an old coach. Two roof AC heat pump units work well, the gas furnace forced hot air works. Washer dryer works. Slides go in and out. It may be 19 years old, but still working well. I do my own maintenance on most things. It drives well, no DEF to deal with, gas is all it needs. I can camp just fine like the more expensive new rigs. Would I like a nice new $500,000 rig, well yes. But I am driving a high end Classic for a fraction of the price and enjoy traveling and keeping this coach in top notch condition like it was my classic car. Lol.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8450 View Post
Im looking very hard at this coach. I was wondering if this unit has the heated basement?

I was also wondering if I gave Newmar a call with the VIN number can I find out if there were any recalls and if the work was done? Also can I get the owners manual for this particularly coach from Newmar?

If there are any owners who have this coach, How do you like it and is there anything I should be wary of?

Thanks All
IF you will post the last 8 digits (ONLY) of the chassis vin number that begins with "5B4" in this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/work...ow-385696.html. I will check the status of any recalls issued for that specific chassis. I believe the warranty records at WCC are the only source for the completion status of Workhorse recalls, so I would be suprised if Newmar knows about that. FYI, ALL the W-22 series chassis built prior to September 2010 were recalled to replace the Bosch brake calipers in 2010.

FWIW, I believe the MACA 3778 was there most popular floor plan and I firmly believe the MACA was the finest coach ever built on a gasser. They were solid and heavy. Newmar used the chassis with the highest GVWR available at the time, so you will be somewhat limited as to how much "stuff" you can load into it.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes mine has forced hot air furnace and you can turn on a fan switch out in water hookup Bay that blows warm air in water pipe areas.

Tags
air, engine, mountain aire, newmar