RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #1

2002 Dutch Star... Extended Warranty??/

Just purchased a 2002 4097. 33kmiles. Well cared for. Extended Warranty package seems steep $$$$. Is it really that good/needed? Who has one they like?

Thanks in advance

singpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't had anything that a service policy (they're not "warranties" according to the law, no matter what they're called) might pay for after 10 years other than maybe a refer cooling unit and a starter. I'm still ahead of the game by paying out of my pocket vs a service policy.

2002 4090

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Haven't had anything that a service policy (they're not "warranties" according to the law, no matter what they're called) might pay for after 10 years other than maybe a refer cooling unit and a starter. I'm still ahead of the game by paying out of my pocket vs a service policy.

2002 4090
Right on
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #4

We bought a 2002 Revolution in 2004 and paid nearly $4,000 for an extended warranty. That seemed like a lot but in five years we had nearly $7,000 in claims, which were paid directly to the service centers. My experience with auto policies has been the opposite, and I don't mess with them.

We traded early this year, so I bought another policy. I view these plans as risk reduction strategy. It may or may not pay off in the long term, but it might protect me from a major repair bill when I least need it.

Two points of advice:

1. Shop around. Big difference in terms and prices

2. Read and understand the terms and conditions. There are a lot of gaps in what is covered and what might fail. A motor home is a complex machine with limited engineering beyond the engine and power train.

3. Consider your situation and the deductible. My first policy had a very low deductible and I used it a lot. My current policy has a higher deductible, so I doubt if it will be used as often. I have learned to do a lot of the minor repairs, so I don't have to line up at the dealer's door as often. irv2 has saved me a bundle on advice from owners with a lot more experience than me.

I lied - three tips.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2 singpilot.
I have never had a extended warranty on a coach as others have not.
As Vraines said shop around and do read the fine print they like to back out of coverage on items you thought was covered.
House items you maybe able to take care of yourself the chassis maybe a different story.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi singpilot,
I have a different view and experience. You do not say how much you'll use the coach during the service contract period. If it will be more than a month or so each year, consider purchasing the service contract. I have come out even or slightly ahead on all the service contracts I've purchased. I do use my coach (about 8 months of the year) and my autos (lots of miles per year).

As previously mentioned, make sure you understand what is and is not covered, how to file a claim, deductibles, etc. The coach you just purchased has a lot of systems. The low miles makes me nervous about what I call "idle rot". Consider purchasing the service contract.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

When we purchased our 2000 DSDP 2yrs ago I got an extended service policy because we went fulltime. I purposely got a high deductible to cover any major catastrophic breakdown, mainly engine or transmission. I figure we can cover anything else that might go wrong. But of course nothing has. Isn't that always the case. Had I not had a policy the whole thing would probably blow up.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had good luck with my extended warranty policies. I bought mine for peace of mind and have not worried too much about coming out ahead. On two trailers and one Diesel pusher I have used the policy alot. Both trailers I would say I broke even. I bought an 03 Kountry Star 18 months ago and thus far have used $5500.00 worth of waranty. Most of that has been on the Generac generator. If anything else fairly major goes I will be way ahead.

When I buy my next RV (I always buy used) I will most likely get another waranty, but as others have pointed out, I will be thoughtful as to which one and how much deductable. On this DP (my first class A) I was a little intimidated about the generator, engine, tranny ect, so I wanted the extra protection.

My fridge was new, but my AC's are original and with two slides I sort-of figured the odds were good that in three years I might use the warranty. My generator has been in the shop three times but seems to be doing good now.

Good luck.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #9

Thanks everyone! As I suspected, the experiences are varied. we wish we had gotten an extended policy on our last RV, a Winnebago.

I am going to shop around. Thanks!
singpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #10

THE service contract ppl know the odds. Thats why they sell them. They will make a bundle on it. Take the annual cost and put in the bank, you will be amazed at how much you save.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #11

We are covered through "Secure Warranty" and they have paid out over 4ooo in repairs in the last 3 years. Well worth it for us.

Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote