Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #1

2002 Dutchstar VDC Location

Can anyone post a pic or info on the specific location of the VDC on a 2002 Dutchstar (Freightliner chassis)?

I have an issue with the instrument cluster suddenly lighting up, then dying and recovering while driving. No dancing or chasing, just boom all the idiot lights light up and the speedo and tac go to zero, then recover like nothing happened.

I'm reading it may be a grounding issue on the VDC, but nothing says where the VDC is physically located other than "close to the engine".

Thanks!
Dale
skinsgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 01:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale...
I had a very similar VDC failure on my 02 DS a few years ago. The failure has to do with a couple of defects, cold solder joints on the circuit board inside. This is a well recognized failure in that vintage. That does not mean, however, that the VDC is easy to get to from either the rear or the bedroom hatch. 🤨
VDC is a small box about the size and shape of a paperback book, located along the passenger side sidewall of the engine compartment along with some other equipment. Recognizable by the gray plastic color, and by the fact that there are both electrical cables AND color-coded compressed air lines feeding into it. The VDC takes raw data on many vehicle parameters, converts, multiplexes it, and sends it upline to the dashboard gauges.
Some on the forum have repaired the solder joints themselves. There are archived threads discussing this some years back, and I believe 007 has put some of the VDC repair information in the Quick Fix section. When mine went bad I elected to have the folks at Gaffney replace it on my next visit. I had a service contract at the time that covered the whole cost, which was $364 for the unit and $90 labor in early 2015.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

Found it and got it out, mine was right up top on the passenger side of the engine. I popped it open and did see some evidence of corrosion and dry solder on the connector pins for both connectors. J2 had almost every pin effected. I reflowed them, reinstalled and by all appearances, it's working (at least it's not inop). Since the issue is so intermittent the only way to know for sure is to take a trip. We're heading to LVMS in March so I guess I'll find out for sure then.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

Fixed

Okay, after reflowing the bad solder joints on the VDC we just made our first trip. We went to LVMS for NASCAR this weekend and drove over 500 miles with not one instrument cluster issue. I consider the issue resolved. I pulled the VDC and opened it (pry the backplate off) reflowed the solder joints for both of the main connectors. They did show signs of dry solder joints. Then reglued the backplate.

Tags
cat, dutchstar