RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2002 Mountain Aire water woes

Hi all,
A Noob MACA3560 owner here - love my coach!

Lately I seem to be having all kinds of water pressure issues. I'm connected to city water supply - and the hose is quite pressurized. However, if I don't turn on the water pump, I don't get any pressure. On top of that weirdness, I get sputtering out of all my spigots and the water pressure trickles away and the water pump keeps turning off.

I thought I'd fill my fresh tank and disconnect from the park to test but I also can't seem to fill my fresh water tank! I turn the valve from ON to FILL and nothing seems to happen. When I kick on the water pump I can hear lots of water moving around and I finally got the water tank to fill to 1/4. When I open the fresh water dump valve (in the large storage compartment by the door) it barely trickles out. At least when I put the valve back to ON with 1/4 tank of fresh water it seems the water sputtering goes away and the water pump stays on. I know I'm not exactly level but pretty close.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't just run off the pressure in the water lines and why I can't fill my fresh water tank unless I turn on the water pump (and even then only to 1/4 - it doesn't seem to go any higher)

Might my ON/FILL valve be screwed?

Would it help to completely drain the lines and refill?
(and exactly how do you do that?)

How do you get to the water pump? It looks like it's behind the water closet, behind the black tank - or at least along side it - but I don't see how to get to it...

Also, the water filter seems like a possible candidate for my problems too but when I look at it, it doesn't seem like it is going to be very cooperative in letting me just twist it open or however it is done.... I hit the red button on top and water flew up out of the top of it... I'm guessing that's ok but it sure doesn't want to unscrew without me putting some serious force behind it and probably breaking something.... I don't see where the water filter can be bypassed either :(

Looking for any and all advice for my sputtering spigots/fresh tank filling issue!

I greatly appreciate it!! (and my wife even more so!! LOL)

wolverine982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Check the screen(s) on the line in from the spigot? I thought I struck gold when I looked at mine. Had to replace the main one and the small ones on each faucet.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To open the filter canister you have to bleed off all the pressure in the system. You may need to find a filter wrench. Rig should have come with one but the previous owner probably kept it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Check the screen(s) on the line in from the spigot? I thought I struck gold when I looked at mine. Had to replace the main one and the small ones on each faucet.
Thanks for the info!
Screen is clear on the main line in. Are there others?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
To open the filter canister you have to bleed off all the pressure in the system. You may need to find a filter wrench. Rig should have come with one but the previous owner probably kept it.
ah! That makes sense! Thanks for the info...

I found what looks like a big white filter wrench but the way the filter is mounted, I can't get it to the top to get a grip on it... looks like I might have to unmount it from the side wall.... ug....
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Should be able to move filter and move wrench up from bottom of filter.
Also check the valves from the fresh water tank and make sure the valves are in the direction of the pipe, you have a filter on pump also that could be plugged.
The city water valve needs to be closed for any water to flow from pump or the city water direction through city water valve.
Here is a link to different water systems that you can input your coach and year which may show you your plumbing system if you change the search information.
Your water pump maybe in a bay next to your water heater up to your right, you have to look inside with a flashlight to turn the water valaves on your by-pass valves for your water heater and there should be a plate on wall above the opening with the positions to open the water flow.
Number 2 in this link will show the water valves of water heater.
We also have a TSB LINK that will give you info on your coach for brochure, owners guide and other needed info.
Below in my signature are links to other info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3755956]Welcome to the forum.
Should be able to move filter and move wrench up from bottom of filter.
Also check the valves from the fresh water tank and make sure the valves are in the direction of the pipe, you have a filter on pump also that could be plugged.
The city water valve needs to be closed for any water to flow from pump or the city water direction through city water valve.
Here is [B][URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=plumbing,+city+%26+fresh+water+by-pass+valve+for+rv&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4RNTN _enUS373US374&biw=1325&bih=611&site=webhp&tbm=isch &imgil=d6wHMHHPqJqoyM%253A%253BxmzQWNniDoHAVM%2 53B http%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.gagscamperway.com%252 52Frv%25252Fwinterize.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=d6wHM HHPqJqoyM%253A%252CxmzQWNniDoHAVM%252C_&usg=__SSbn I42gcb70kAGvjPPvCf-8wXo%3D&ved=0CFEQyjc&ei=SldlVNbPFerasATtjIGoAw#fac rc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=d6wHMHHPqJqoyM%253A%3BxmzQWNni DoHAVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gagscamperway.com% 252Fseasonal%252FWinterizing%252Fwatersystem.gif%3 Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gagscamperway.com%252Frv%2 52Fwinterize.htm%3B558%3B453
a link[/URL][/B] to different water systems that you can input your coach and year which may show you your plumbing system if you change the search information.
Your water pump maybe in a bay next to your water heater up to your right, you have to look inside with a flashlight to turn the water valaves on your by-pass valves for your water heater and there should be a plate on wall above the opening with the positions to open the water flow.
Number 2 in this link will show the water valves of water heater.
We also have a TSB LINK that will give you info on your coach for brochure, owners guide and other needed info.
Below in my signature are links to other info for your Newmar.
Thanks for the info!

I think I've got it narrowed down to a faulty check valve on the city water input. I might still have a sticky Fill/On valve as well but replacing the check valve will be the first step...

I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE: My entire problem was water filter related - Once the filter was pulled out and the canister put back into place - everything was good once again.

Now with a new filter in place - we're back in business!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
FYI,
The water filters do not last very long.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
FYI,
The water filters do not last very long.
I had to use this

https://www.amazon.com/TruBuilt-Auto...29-spons&psc=1

the first time I replaced the water filter.

clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, water