Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

2003 DS 4005 lukewarm water

We are experiencing lukewarm water in the coach, shower and all faucets. Pulled the anode, some corrosion but the water that drained was hot, not lukewarm. I've read that the bypass valve may be stuck causing too much cold water to mix with hot. Does that make sense, if so, in a 03 DS, where does the bypass valve hide itself and just ho difficult is it to access? Any other ideas?

Just when you get "just about" (is that possible?) everything working as it should, something else pops-up and says, hey, fix me!
CSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

I have read on this forum that you should first check to make sure the last person who used the shower or the shower wand in the water bay didn't shut the water off on the wand and left the water valves open allowing the hot and cold water to mix.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Our shower wand does not have a shutoff button, yes, it's a pain and it's on the list to change. Therefore, the hot/cold controls in the shower are both off.
CSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

There are 2 main causes for this happening. Shower valves are not turned off and WH by-pass valves are not in the correct positions.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWolf View Post
We are experiencing lukewarm water in the coach, shower and all faucets. Pulled the anode, some corrosion but the water that drained was hot, not lukewarm. I've read that the bypass valve may be stuck causing too much cold water to mix with hot. Does that make sense, if so, in a 03 DS, where does the bypass valve hide itself and just ho difficult is it to access? Any other ideas?

Just when you get "just about" (is that possible?) everything working as it should, something else pops-up and says, hey, fix me!
In my Kountry Star the bypass valve(s) is located under the kitchen sink. Locate your water heater and follow the cold water supply and hot water supply lines. The valves should be close by.

Best of luck and safe travels!

Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:58 PM   #6

When this has happened to me in the past (in both our 5th Wheel Trailer and our 24 ft. Chinook), the cause turned out to be mineral deposits inside the water heater.

What was happening was calcium carbonate had built up to nearly 1/2" thick on the insides -- including the pipe where the thermostat is located. So the calcium carbonate was insulating the thermostat and causing it to shut off before the water inside the water heater was really hot enough.

At least for me, a good pressure cleaning of the inside of the water heater did the trick. I just use one of those cheap plastic water heater tank nozzle things you can get at any RV shop. I remove the anode rod, stick the wand in the hole, and blast away until no more mineral deposits come out. That can take 30 minutes!

My preference would be to fill the water heater with at least a gallon of distilled vinegar and let the vinegar dissolve the deposits. But that requires setting the water heater shut-off valves for winterizing, and then using the antifreeze siphon hose to suck up vinegar instead of antifreeze.

After getting a couple of gallons of vinegar in the water heater tank, I'd fill it with water, turn it on to heat it up, and then let it stew for an hour to dissolve the mineral deposits. Then drain and flush a couple of times to get the vinegar out. I asked Suburban if this was OK to do and they said yes.

Or use the plastic wand and just blast away until no more chunks of mineral deposits come out.

Of course, you might have a different problem. But I've had this happen to me three times over the years, and each time flushing the water heater "fixed" the problem -- for several more years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water