RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #1

2003 Dutch Star window shades

We're considering changing out the factory day/night shades with a different style/color. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to mount the new shades with a cabinet in the "way". The living room area cabinet mounted to the ceiling on the left side of the coach provides about 4.5"w x 9"d inches of working space (cabinet to window wall) which is not enough to pre-drill any mounting holes for the new window shade brackets. The cabinet can be removed but it's one LONG cabinet- two person job, maybe three. For clarity, the cabinets do block the upper portion of the window and the existing shades are mounted behind them. Hope this makes sense. Anyone out there who may have tackled this job and if so, am I missing something obvious to make this less difficult?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

Just an all round fun spot to work , bad enough pulling the existing ones down for a re-string .

What do the hangers for the new blinds look like ?

Would mounting a 1x4 to the slide ceiling be an option , it'd be hidden .
Or would your DW let you get away with that?

EDIT: BTW, the slide overhead cabinet is listed as a 75# option , but as you're aware a two person job to drop down.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
DJJ

The brackets for your current day/night shades are ceiling mount. If going with a different shade you would need to have ceiling mount brackets as well.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWolf View Post
We're considering changing out the factory day/night shades with a different style/color. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to mount the new shades with a cabinet in the "way". The living room area cabinet mounted to the ceiling on the left side of the coach provides about 4.5"w x 9"d inches of working space (cabinet to window wall) which is not enough to pre-drill any mounting holes for the new window shade brackets. The cabinet can be removed but it's one LONG cabinet- two person job, maybe three. For clarity, the cabinets do block the upper portion of the window and the existing shades are mounted behind them. Hope this makes sense. Anyone out there who may have tackled this job and if so, am I missing something obvious to make this less difficult?
Simple fix. No need to remove the cabinets. Open the cabinet doors and remove the screws holding the cabinet backs to the cabinet frames. Gives you plenty of room to work in the limited area behind the cabinets. I recently got rid of the troublesome day night shades and just installed basic venetian blinds from Home Depot. $23.00 per shade cut to custom length at the store.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer189 View Post
......I recently got rid of the troublesome day night shades and just installed basic venetian blinds from Home Depot. $23.00 per shade cut to custom length at the store......
Falconeer.....I have a similar vintage DS (2002), and a similar shade problem. They are original, and I have several that need restringing, or maybe all that need replacement.
We value the day/night units for both light AND heat reasons- the night layer is a good insulator in cold weather. With your Venetian replacements, have you had an opportunity to compare value in cold weather?
Thanks!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

Just finished a week in NC with 17 degree nights and highs of low 30’s found no difference from similar nights with the old day night shades. The double pane windows still sealed and insulate good as they were day one. Just got tired of restringing those old day nights. Even when new the day night shades offered not much value in insulating.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
2003 Dutch Star window shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWolf View Post

I replaced all the day/night window coverings with MCD shades. I only installed the blackout shade, without the sunscreen shades. I have solar screens that go on outside. Most MCD shades mount to the valance. I have a cabinet over the desk/ table where the valance is two pieces mounted at each side of the window. The MCD shade mount attached to the ceiling behind the cabinets.
Hope this helps.

Tags
dutch star, wind, window