RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #1

Wink 2003 Newmar 41' Dutch Star 4005

My wife and I were looking for a used rv in the 2008-2011 range and ran across a 2003 Dutch Star 4005 on a Spartan Chasis with a Cummins 350 hp engine. The gentleman who owns it bought it new and it only has 33k miles and he kept it in a heated garage. The color is Butter Pecan exterior and interior with dark cherry cabinets so the colors are more like the newer rv's being made today. I can't believe the condition of this coach and how well it has held up as result of the build quality and the care the owner has given it. Wasn't looking for an rv this old but we fell in love with it and made an offer subject to a full inspection. He says he will guarantee everything works or he'll fix it. Really impressed with how this unit was built and held up over the last 10 plus years.

Is there anything in particular that i should look for? the 4 door norcold refrig just had the recall done.

so happy to buy a newmar as the last 3 coaches we owned were nice but not of this quality.
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

We have a 2004 Dutch Star 41', model 4025 on a Spartan chassis. There was a factory recall on the balljoints. I heard about it late but was able to get the balljoints free from Spartan. I did have to pay for the installation. I had it done at Spartan as they had a very short list of shops they thought were capable of doing the job. If it has the Spartan chassis, you might want to check to see if the recall applied to 2003 model and if so, if the work has been done. Otherwise, we have liked the coach very much.
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jrs1958,
Welcome and congrats on finding the coach you like. The brochure for your coach is at https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta.../2003dsdpb.pdf
The brochure shows you can tow 10K lbs and have a little over 5K lbs of cargo capacity. All I can recommend is for you to double check the hitch/receiver rating to make sure you can tow the weight you want to tow.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum JR.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Down in my signature below are three links that will relate to your to be Newmar.
You can find recall info here. and PDI list here.
All Newmars all models are built the same no matter what year, on same floor by the same people.
Good luck and maybe a new Newmar owner in your future.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Not sure if it has Hydro-hot or not, but if it does have it professionally inspected. This is a "Big-Ticket" item if there are problems. Good luck. They are great motor coaches.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Ditto on the ball joints. The rubber boots used by Spartan were defective and would rot letting dirt and grime get to the joints. I learned the expensive way...$2000....and all Spartan told me was....sorry!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #7

Checked with Spartan and this coach has never had a recall.

Thanks for all the help!
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 AM   #8

JRS1958 hello. We purchased a 2003 Dutch Star 4004, 350ISC, 4 weeks ago and so far love it. Checked the ball joint recall, ours wasn't in the list. The joint covers looked new/lightly used and well greased. Two things I was told to look for also are the exhaust manifold which has a known history of cracking on the 350. And the radiator corrosion. Ours also was climate control stored when not in use, and under covered site in Florida in season. Had 60,000 miles but all new 3yr old Michelin tires, new Radiator, recent service (including transynd change), and complete detail. We are very happy with ours so far. Presently on the road for Alabama. Have fun with yours. P.S. Old owner told me the Dometic two door had a tendency to frost up, due to weak seals. Dometic said only solution is new doors ($600). WRONG. New seal from company in Ca, around $200. Installation is not easy but even hiring it done is a $300 savings.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #9

Is there anything in particular that I should look for ?

Look for a good time, you've got the right coach. Enjoy ............
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same coach, even same color. I purchased mine in October of last year and have been doing many minor and a few major interior renovations over the winter. As part of the purchase agreement the seller agreed to have the unit inspected at a mutually agreed upon Spartan / Cummins repair facility. Upper and lower Ball joints were shot (expensive repair, common issue as you know). They found some other fairly minor issues: oil leak, exhaust leak, had to recharge the a/c, etc. Seller agreed to fix the issues. I paid for a complete pm service at the same time.
Also, I would be sure the have the roof and all penetrations inspected. Double check the roof top a/c gaskets and the lag bolts that attach the units to the roof. These were issues on mine that I discovered after the purchase.
danmarsh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

I have an 02 DS and we just had a heater hose break on I-10 west of Yuma. Have all the older coolant hoses checked and replace. Last year I had to replace exhaust manifold, turbo charger, engine head, and fuel pump. Have it inspected for any problems. I still have orig ball joints and seem OK. Oh we also had a fuel pump part fail on the road in Gallup, NM. You never know when you will have problems w/any motorhome, old or newer!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased a 2003 4005 last spring, only 29K miles. The only thing it needs is a table as the last owner supposedly removed a custom dining table.

So far only two issues. The first time I went to dump the black tank, the handle moved but the "blade" inside didn't. Cost a lost day at a camping site, a trip to Camping World and I believe over $200 to replace a $4.99 part.

The other issue I'm having might be inverter related. It has a Trace 2000 but I'm not sure that it is charging the chassis batteries. Even though they are new (dealer said he replaced them) they go dead quickly.

We love the 4005 layout and the full body paint, though I must be color blind because I see it as "gold and green" when Newmar says it is "silver and green".

Enjoy the coach, with the Newmar reputation I don't think you'll have any major problems.

P.S. Just wondering what type of generator yours has. Mine has the Generac 7.5kw which I know nothing about.

Thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh yea, big problem with that MH. It's actually a secret opium den. One you get in the comfort will be addicting and you won't want to get out
Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
cvbdsl, you always have your battery cut off switch on all the time when you coach is plugged in for use or traveling, correct?
As long as you do that your Bird System will keep all your batteries charge both house and chassis.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar