Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
2004 dsdp

Wife and I took off early today for a 3-4 day getaway in Branson for our 30th anniversary. About 1-2 hrs before arriving, noticed that the Cummins 8.9L, (370hp) was starting to have some loss of power issues on the hills and would occassionally feel a miss or jerk. On level hwys, it seems to be running ok but this stuff today is a first. I'm optimistically thinking maybe fuel filter even thought it is a combo fuel/water separator) and was supposedly changed before we bought it 8-9000 miles ago. What does everyone think?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fuel filters are cheap, I always carry a couple just in case. Naturally, since I have them onboard, I've never needed them. Won't hurt to try it as it's about the cheapest thing you can do and relatively easy too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Wife and I took off early today for a 3-4 day getaway in Branson for our 30th anniversary. About 1-2 hrs before arriving, noticed that the Cummins 8.9L, (370hp) was starting to have some loss of power issues on the hills and would occassionally feel a miss or jerk. On level hwys, it seems to be running ok but this stuff today is a first. I'm optimistically thinking maybe fuel filter even thought it is a combo fuel/water separator) and was supposedly changed before we bought it 8-9000 miles ago. What does everyone think?
Locate the Fuel Filter (on my 03 it is under the Battery Box) and open the water drain on the bottom of the filter. I check mine once in a while and have found nothing so the next step would be to replace the filter. From there, anything is possible. 8-9K is not unusual to change the fuel filter......
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Mr_D and dennis45 for the replies. I fortunately carry (2) xtras with me and will do a changeout tomorrow. I believe I read that no pressure bleed off is needed, just spin off the old, then spin on the new and cycle the ignition key 4-6 times to prime the filter. Correct me if my info is wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
When I had an oil and filter change done last time on my 400ISL,the pros
were pre-filling the filters with CLEAN diesel via the outer holes of the filter.
This way you don't put extra air into the lines.
I also carry extra fuel filters and a small clean 2 gal. can of clean diesel fuel.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your in a good area "Branson" to check out hills and acceleration problems.
Have a safe trip and happy anniversary.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Replaced the old Napa #3422 fuel/water separator filter today and fuel didn't look to bad, no slime/discoloration noted. For some reason the old filter didn't have the rubber O-ring on the threaded shaft but the new Wix filter did, which I replaced. I still have (1) new Napa filter left and it also has a rubber O-ring included. Maybe they forgot to install one on the old filter. Turned the ignition on/off 3-4 times to prime and she fired right up and seemed to idle fine. Hopefully it won't hiccup on the way home Sat and beebop right on down the road. Will have Cummins-Onan check it out next week and let everyone know the final outcome.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Just to let everyone know that the mh fired right up on saturday and seemed to run out smooth without any repeats of the problems coming down. Will have Cummins-Onan check it out and make sure the pump is performing as required and no other causes were responsible. My thanks for everyones help, and yes 007, those hills are indeed a true test for ones rig.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the ISC and ISL you don't need to prime the filter, just turn the key on and let the pump cycle four or five times (but don't try to start it). The unit is self purging and you won't get air into the system, no need to prefill the filter as some seem to think.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Glad to see every thing checks out OK maybe those missing O rings were causing your problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Changing the water fuel separator probably will solve the problem! You may have "air" in the system because of no o-ring, this would cause a loss of power under load. Also, do you have a secondary primary fuel filter? This should also be changed out?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Changing the water fuel separator probably will solve the problem! You may have "air" in the system because of no o-ring, this would cause a loss of power under load. Also, do you have a secondary primary fuel filter? This should also be changed out?
Can't remember exactly, but I called Spartan and Newmar after I bought the the unit and they told me that I supposedly have just the (1) filter which is apparently a combo fuel/water separator that Cummins reportedly switched to for several years back when the unit was born. It would be embarrassing to find out if I indeed had (2) but will have Cummins-Onan check when I take it in for them to look at.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
A follow up on the lack of power issue. Took the beast to the Cummins-Onan/Spartan in the KC metro area and the code 329 showed. The lift pump was also leaking and had obvious signs of black slime inside the inlet screen. After a new lift pump and the addition of a second filter like it should have had, picked it up yesterday and she drove like a champ on the way home. I had put a biocide in the tank before taking it in and will probably treat again. Hopefully any remaining gunk in the tank will be minimal but will keep some extra filters on hand. Thanks to all of you that offered help/suggestions in the beginning. Just for grins and giggles, I'll be calling Spartan to find out why they went to the (1) filter setup back in the time frame when our coach was built.