Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
2004 Kountry Star 34 DP

This is our first post to the Kountry Star forum.
Perhaps some of you can help, please.
We are considering purchasing a 2004 Kountry Star 34.
I downloaded the brochure and checked the wheelbase/total length ratio and find it to be roughly 47. Is this a red flag?
Does it pogo over rough roads or seem unstable when a semi passes.
I guess what it comes down to, should we be looking for a longer coach or will the 34 be safe to drive and good handling? Modifications needed?
We really like the 34 and love the floor plan. The price is in the mid 60s and only 45k miles. Full paint, very clean, well maintained, newer tires.
Thank you for any help here.
Ray
Ray_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Here is a Brochure & Owners Guide for you.
The weight of KSDP should hold the road better than if it was a gas chassis which did porpoise on the Workhorse gas chassis of that era.
If its on a Spartan chassis would be a plus also not sure which chassis.
In my signature below are links to more items, in the Newmar.
Good luck and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
2004 Kountry Star 34 DP

Thank you so much for your reply and the links 007.
This is an excellent forum. So glad I found it.
The KSPD is on a Freightliner chassis with a 300 Cummins.
Two solar panels on the rig also.
Ray
Ray_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Once you get it loaded with your stuff, fuel, LP gas and water you will carry, have it weight at scales so you can adjust the tire pressures for proper inflation will make a big difference for the ride.
Inflation tables are in QT's 1 & 2.
Nothing wrong with FL chassis just need to keep rear radiator cleaned once in a while.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We owned an 04 Dutch Star for about 7 years. It was on a Spartan chassis and it was 40'. If I remember the primary difference was Spartans Independent Front Suspension. However I don't recall Freightliner owners complaining about their chassis.

My wife and I still feel the 2004 Newmar's were some of the best they ever produced. We had amazing reliability from her and today my nephew still drives it with over 110,000 miles.

I wouldn't hesitant recommending the 04 KS, especially if you have good maintenance records.

Some things to check:
1) look at e ceiling very closely for water stains or mildew. An indicator of past or present roof leak
2) go up onto e roof and walk around. Feel foe any soft spots in the wood decking that's below the rubber or fiberglass roofing material
3) while on the roof look at all the caulking; look for areas where the caulk has failed, not the slight cracks in the top of the caulk.
4) Go drive her on a bumpy road, then 60+ mph and listen for wind noise around the windshield. If found this should be easily fixed.
5) run each AC individually. Then each Heat pump, than the furnace.
6) Does it have the original tvs? These are easy to upgrade.
7) if it's the original mattress, consider a new one.

Go have fun!!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_1 View Post
This is our first post to the Kountry Star forum.
Perhaps some of you can help, please.
We are considering purchasing a 2004 Kountry Star 34.
I downloaded the brochure and checked the wheelbase/total length ratio and find it to be roughly 47. Is this a red flag?
Does it pogo over rough roads or seem unstable when a semi passes.
I guess what it comes down to, should we be looking for a longer coach or will the 34 be safe to drive and good handling? Modifications needed?
We really like the 34 and love the floor plan. The price is in the mid 60s and only 45k miles. Full paint, very clean, well maintained, newer tires.
Thank you for any help here.
Ray
OMG Ray, go buy it and don't worry. We weigh in about 26,000 fully loaded with the Freightliner chassis. Our ISB 300 Cummins works just fine, towing a 4000 dink. Some times alittle slower than we want, but usually we get 9 to 10 miles per. We have been across the USA 8 times and never once had an issue with handling. We run around 65 mph on most roads and in the midwest faster.

I wouldnt have any issues with this coach. Newmar gave us new AC units back in 05 but it was still under warranty and the originals had start up problems. We replaced both tv's. Make sure your coach has decent tires and not the originals were are at the end of their dated lives. For the money you cant beat a KSDP .
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

We bought our '04 KountryStar in March of the same year and have few regrets. I've added some upgrades to the suspension in the form of a rear sway bar, Koni shocks and a Banks engine kit. My wife wouldn't part with this coach for just about any reason.
If the KountryStar you are interested in seems to fit your particular wants and needs go for it.