Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

2004 Mountain Aire 3781 Workhorse

Hello all. We are about to join the Newmar family with the purchase of a 2004 Mountain Aire 3781. It has the Workhorse chassis. Are there any areas of concern I should check out? Any known problems? I am searching myself too.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Actia dash gauge LCD readout being illegible is a known problem. I'm on my third gauge.

If plugs and wires are original you'll need new ones.

I've had my exhaust manifolds replaced twice. Fairly common problem.

Check the age of the tires.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2

Biggest concern on the Workhorse chassis , is loading .
Is this a W-22 chassis or a W-24 ?
Too many features ( options ) added to the gas chassis that reduced the CCC ( Cargo Carrying Capacity or NCC Net Carrying Capacity ) .

Newmar should have posted the CCC , on their build sheet .
No specific location , mine is on the back wall of a kitchen cupboard.
JMHO . Look for a CCC amount over 2,000 lbs

No sense in having all the cargo area that a class A provides , if weight limits won't let you carry what you want to take along.
Loaded to the max , will effect vehicle handling and you will not be comfortable driving the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	373770  
Old 08-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2

Biggest concern on the Workhorse chassis , is loading .
Is this a W-22 chassis or a W-24 ?
Too many features ( options ) added to the gas chassis that reduced the CCC ( Cargo Carrying Capacity or NCC Net Carrying Capacity ) .

Newmar should have posted the CCC , on their build sheet .
No specific location , mine is on the back wall of a kitchen cupboard.
JMHO . Look for a CCC amount over 2,000 lbs

No sense in having all the cargo area that a class A provides , if weight limits won't let you carry what you want to take along.
Loaded to the max , will effect vehicle handling and you will not be comfortable driving the coach.
Thanks. It's a W-22. NCC is stated as 2941lbs
Old 08-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The Actia dash gauge LCD readout being illegible is a known problem. I'm on my third gauge.

Thanks.

As far as I know, the LCD is original and is still working well. I have seen where these go out. The owner is the grandson of the original owners and he has all the maintenance records so I'll have to look for that.

I'll check on the plugs and wires.

I didn't know that the exhaust manifolds were problematic. What seems to be the concern?

Tires are Michelins dated 0321 so January of 2021. They also had an entire brake job done when the tires were replaced. It has new shocks, all new radiator hoses, serpentine belt, oil and filter change, trans fluid and filter change. A lot of maintenance was just completed. It also has a brand new Dometic refrigerator. The grandson was keeping it to go to Florida in the winters as he was doing that every year (works from home so can do it anywhere) but then his aunt decided to sell her park model in the same park they stay at. So he bought that and is selling the coach.

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The plug wires will cause the engine to misfire while under load. It could be subtle to very recognizable. If they haven't been replaced, use a HIGH quality set of plug wires from one of the hot rod shops. The cause of the issue, both plug wires and manifold cracking is the lack of air flow to the manifolds. A good project......take some dryer vent tubing or something similar and route air from the grill to both manifolds. Mine was about a year old when I bought it used. It had a noisy fan belt idler pulley, which took a while to find, but seems to be common.

Don't be discouraged, it's a good drivetrain with lots of power. Once these small items are fixed (may have already) it will run well. I know the manifolds crack, but mine never did and it isn't an absolute that it will.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The plug wires will cause the engine to misfire while under load. It could be subtle to very recognizable. If they haven't been replaced, use a HIGH quality set of plug wires from one of the hot rod shops. The cause of the issue, both plug wires and manifold cracking is the lack of air flow to the manifolds. A good project......take some dryer vent tubing or something similar and route air from the grill to both manifolds. Mine was about a year old when I bought it used. It had a noisy fan belt idler pulley, which took a while to find, but seems to be common.

Don't be discouraged, it's a good drivetrain with lots of power. Once these small items are fixed (may have already) it will run well. I know the manifolds crack, but mine never did and it isn't an absolute that it will.
Thanks again Don. I will do all the above.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:53 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

I just replaced my exhaust manifolds with Doug Thorley Headers. While I was at it I also replaced the stock mufflers with Magna Flow mufflers.

As a result I have a set of stock manifold, down pipes and mufflers that someone can have for free if they come and get them.

I replaced the manifolds as a form of preventive maintenance.

Tags
air, mountain aire, workhorse