Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
2004 Mountain Aire 4017 - considering to buy one

Hello Everyone

We are considering a 2004 Mountain Aire 4017-Freightliner 400hp for my inlaws, since we own a Monaco Windsor, they asked me to check our the RV for them for any possible issues, and assess the cost for any repairs.

Any tips or suggestions on problem areas to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 04:14 AM   #2

Newmar builds excellent coaches, but these are usually equipped with Aqua Hot systems that require regular maintenance, and the fiberglass roof should be inspected by a professional once every five years. I recommend a professional inspection before purchase, it will be a cost effective means to avoid a hidden issue. Same for the Cummins power system, the side engine cooling fan drive, and transmission. Other than that, keep in mind if they intend to Snowbird, many of the RV parks are no longer allowing units more than five years old, I do not find it to be a problem, but some people looking for over 55 accommodations do.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

We bought our 2004 Mountain Aire 4016 three years ago and have full-timed in it since. We really like the 4016 three slide floor plan and it is perfect for the two of us. It was in great, well maintained condition when we got it from a meticulous private owner with all records. The Freightliner/Cummins/Allison power train is great, simple and easy to maintain. I put on 6 Toyo M144 tires when we got it. I highly recommend putting Koni Evo shocks on the front. You will not believe the difference. The old Norcold refrigerator died early last year and we replaced it with a residential refrigerator. The front TV was already upgraded and I upgraded the bedroom TV and dash stereo. The old sat dish was obsolete and I removed it and now use a new Winegard Pathway X2 on a tripod. Our Newmar has the Suburban furnace and works great, less maintenance than the Hydrohot of that era. We have had no problems that were not minor and I find it very easy to work on. Build quality is excellent, better than the new ones IMHO. We love the coach and have never had a single thought of selling for anything else. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #4

If it is on a Spartan Chassis check the rubber boots on the ball joints. They were defective (rotted) and most people had to have the ball joints replaced. It was a $2000. 00 plus expense.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
If it is on a Spartan Chassis check the rubber boots on the ball joints. They were defective (rotted) and most people had to have the ball joints replaced. It was a $2000. 00 plus expense.

Sorry. Re-read you post and see that is on Freightliner Chassis.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ali,
Check the paint.
1. Bright and sunny day
2. Look at the side of the coach at 45 degrees with the sun facing you.
3. Look for "chicken scratches or spider webs.
That year of coach Newmar got bad fiberglass. Not all coaches but many. This is a fiberglass not a paint problem. The only cure is to remove the current fiberglass side walls and reinstall good fiberglass. Repaint any color you want as long as it is in the Newmar catalogue. Factory should do this fix. Not easy or cheap. Newmar has helped with the cost. Owner responsibility is still into five figures.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air