Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #1

2004 Mountain Aire corrosion on bottom of basement doors

Hi all, we are most likely buying the above unit. It's a 3781 with a workhorse chassis. Most of the basement doors have what looks like corrosion on the very bottom of the doors. It's actually on the part that faces down to the ground when shut. It looks like it is coming from under the paint and pushing through cracking the paint. No chips that might indicate damage from rock chips, etc. Pretty sure the doors are aluminum so it isn't rust (or shouldn't be).

Has anyone else seen this? Did you remove it and repaint?

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 09:49 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pictures will get you much better answers, but if you are talking about brown stuff that does not come off with a simple washing, I too had that on our "new to us" '04 pace Arrow.
I used "polishing compound" NOT "rubbing compound" to clean up the bottom part of the doors where they roll under.
Sees like it was a hard water stain on our white doors.

Mike in Colorado
Old 08-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Pictures will get you much better answers, but if you are talking about brown stuff that does not come off with a simple washing, I too had that on our "new to us" '04 pace Arrow.
I used "polishing compound" NOT "rubbing compound" to clean up the bottom part of the doors where they roll under.
Sees like it was a hard water stain on our white doors.

Mike in Colorado
Thanks, We don't have the unit yet but we looked at it yesterday. I failed to take some pics.

It is definitely not stains. It literally looks like rust pushing through from under the paint. Shouldn't be if it's aluminum door panels. The doors are darker and there isn't any discoloration. I've attached a pic just to show the color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	298708477_10166141364970618_4885772452430246440_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	373760  
Old 08-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #4

The lower ( curved edge ) of the cargo doors is aluminum and corrosion on the aluminum bubbles the paint . Some careful DIY sanding , filling and repaint is possible to dress things up .

I've even seen the edges re-done with a rock guard finish , rather than straight paint .
Old 08-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The lower ( curved edge ) of the cargo doors is aluminum and corrosion on the aluminum bubbles the paint . Some careful DIY sanding , filling and repaint is possible to dress things up .

I've even seen the edges re-done with a rock guard finish , rather than straight paint .
Thanks. That's what I thought I might do. I thought black paint as the top is black. I think I might like the rock guard finish. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's electrolysis which attacks the aluminum. It will blister like a pimple. When you sand or break it open it will produce white powder. As you clean and sand, it will leave some light cratering as it's actually eaten away the metal.

If it were me, I would mask off and protect the lower painted portion that shows, do your sanding and prep and then use something like a black undercoat or textured paint to protect it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's electrolysis which attacks the aluminum. It will blister like a pimple. When you sand or break it open it will produce white powder. As you clean and sand, it will leave some light cratering as it's actually eaten away the metal.

If it were me, I would mask off and protect the lower painted portion that shows, do your sanding and prep and then use something like a black undercoat or textured paint to protect it.
Thank you. That sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:35 AM   #8

Aluminum oxidizes just like steel.

Depending on how bad it is, I would either:

1. Leave it alone. It has taken 18 years to get to the point it is now.

2. Mask it off, sand it down, and coat it with your choice of bedliner.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #9

Are you talking about the exterior aluminum skin or the aluminum extruded door frame that makes the box that isn't visible when the door is shut?
For other than the exterior, wire wheel, clean, mask, prime and paint.
For exterior, that just depends on how involved you want to get if the exterior paint is damaged (or will be damaged by the repairs).

If exterior skin, you could: refinish back the way it is (most expensive), paint a solid border down the whole length (not just that door which would look funky), fix, paint and put aftermarket chrome trim over the repair area so you don't see the funky color paint you put on.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Are you talking about the exterior aluminum skin or the aluminum extruded door frame that makes the box that isn't visible when the door is shut?
For other than the exterior, wire wheel, clean, mask, prime and paint.
For exterior, that just depends on how involved you want to get if the exterior paint is damaged (or will be damaged by the repairs).

If exterior skin, you could: refinish back the way it is (most expensive), paint a solid border down the whole length (not just that door which would look funky), fix, paint and put aftermarket chrome trim over the repair area so you don't see the funky color paint you put on.
Yes, it's the exterior. As others and you have stated, I may do the entire bottom of each door as most of them have it. Most likely will use a rock guard paint and a dark color to match the upper dark color. I can get the actual color but I'm not sure how well I can blend it.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:23 AM   #11

Depending on how high it goes up the doors I like the couple suggestions of either a rock guard or maybe something like a colored bed liner type spray on once youíve cleaned it up.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bentjm has the best / most cost effective (read cheap) solution.

Tape the doors off at the crease, where it rolls under, and spray the bottom with Bed Liner.
Heck, even black Krylon will outlive most of us.

Mike in Colorado

Tags
air, door, doors, mountain aire