RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2005 dsdp 4009

OK...I took what I learned from researching the NSDP and did some more looking around. I've got a couple leads from Camping World and from those leads I am peaking at the 2005 4009 model. So...some questions and maybe a some help too.

Used 2005 Newmar Dutchstar Class A Diesel Motorhomes For Sale In Katy, TX - KAT265897A - Camping World

1. That year came with both the 350 & 370 HP Spartan. This may sound dumb but...is there any chance that the 350 HP engine is a CAT? The ad doesn't tell me which engine it is but I expect that info Monday.

2. Does anyone have any experience with the CWs in Macon, GA or Katy, TX? A sales person in Macon has provided an trade in offer. The MH is actually at the Katy, TX store. The Macon dealer will have it relocated to Macon for us which is OK since my Grandkids live in Macon.

3. If I get some good info on this unit and decide to seriously pursue it, does anyone have a good recommendation for a RV inspection service in the Houston/Katy area?

4. Anyone got gobs of time on their hand to give it a "look see" to tell me if this unit appears to be worth the effort?

Any other thoughts on this model are welcome. FWIW, the average retail before options is $107K for 370 HP & $105K for 350 HP. There shouldn't be many options that aren't factored into that price. In fact, a combo W/D, power slide locks, dish washer and a few other items are supposed to be in those prices but until I get a good list of equipment, I won't know what is actually on it right now except that the W/D is not in it nor do I see slide locks either.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
The engine is a Cummins - both the 350 HP and 370 HP version.

Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awanderlust View Post
The engine is a Cummins - both the 350 HP and 370 HP version.
THANKS! Tell me more about your MH since you have this model. Anything you think I should know about it that might be interesting? I'm looking to use it as a FT home in '14.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have attached the 2005 DS4009 Retail Order Form, so you can see the various options available for this model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DS4009RetailOrderForm.pdf (106.9 KB, 51 views)
Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #5

Hey, Looks just like mine. Not sure if AWunderlust knows about that particular MH but I have one that does have the Cat C-7 engine on a Spartan chassis so unless you can see the engine in one of the pics, or there is other info, don't think you can tell. Mine has all the stuff you listed but without the power slide locks but does have the fiberglass roof. You have the upgraded fridge but it takes away some pantry space.

By the way, we really like our unit. Had an older DSDP and upgraded to this one. Great living space when you get there. Drives great.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
Hey, Looks just like mine. Not sure if AWunderlust knows about that particular MH but I have one that does have the Cat C-7 engine on a Spartan chassis so unless you can see the engine in one of the pics, or there is other info, don't think you can tell. Mine has all the stuff you listed but without the power slide locks but does have the fiberglass roof. You have the upgraded fridge but it takes away some pantry space.

By the way, we really like our unit. Had an older DSDP and upgraded to this one. Great living space when you get there. Drives great.
Thanks Dan! What HP is yours? I assume that it has the sider radiator too. I'm working on getting more info on it by the end of the day.

How do you feel about the overall storage, especially the basement and clothing/dresser space? Have you had any weight and balance issues with it?

TANX!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice looking motorhome. They don't provide much information do they? It is the same floor plan that we have on our Kountry Star. Ours is a 39', so the DS might be a foot longer. We have a rear radiator.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #8

Don,

We have 350 HP. I had a cummins in the last DS and was a little worried about the torque but have not had any problems. We do have the side radiator which is one of my requirements. Our last one was a '98 thirty eight foot Dutch Star so this was an upgrade for us. We are also planning to at least 1/2 time beginning in 2017 and are hoping to be able to use this coach for quite some time.

The one downside we have noticed is the usability of the bedroom and storage in the bedroom compared to the older model. I believe the overall bedroom storage is about the same and we may get used to this one but liked the two closets and the ability to get to everything even when traveling. We had a queen in the older coach and no BR slide. We were happy with the queen and really did not need the king and would rather have the extra space but.... it is what came with it. The bedroom arrangement is the only thing we would change.

The basement storage is more than enough for us. We have two sliding trays, one pass through and one half way. It takes away some heighth but is so convenient. When I transferred from the 38' I found there was actually more space than I had stuff, of course I am sure that will change and all spaces will be full in time. The cabinet space inside is also greater. We have more space than we know what to do with in all the living room cabinets. Not so much in the bedroom, as I said before.

Wife would have like the bigger fridge but I like the larger pantry. She also would have liked the drawer dishwasher but does not have that. We do have the whole house vacuum which is something we did not know we wanted but have come to really love it.

For us it was surprising the amount of interior space adding the second slide creates. Our older model had the one living room slide, by adding the kitchen slide, it really opens up the living room. By the way, there are quite a few times I don't open the kitchen slide so I have better access to the basement and utilization of the awning and it does not impact on the livibility, just not quite as spacious inside.

Have not problems with balance or weight at all. I know when we go full time or even half time, we will be carrying more stuff so will need to monitor that but no problems at all so far.

The coach handles great on the road. Have been over the hills/mountains of PA and across the flat Eastern Shore of Md and around Upstate NY and have found it handles great in all those conditions. Set my cruise and away we go.

Not sure what else to tell you. Let us know when you find out more info. I would get another one in a second. Have been very please with quality and livibility. Hope to have it for a long time.

Dan
Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Nice looking motorhome. They don't provide much information do they? It is the same floor plan that we have on our Kountry Star. Ours is a 39', so the DS might be a foot longer. We have a rear radiator.
CW often has horrible information on their listings.

Recently we looked at a NSDP 39' model with 3 slides very similar to this one. That gave us a better feel for what this one might feel like minus the higher ceiling. One of the things we gain on this vs 39' KSDP and NSDP models is about 2' of wheel base added. Our thoughts are that while the added wheel base (2.5' more compared to our current MH) might be a bit harder in some tight spots, we think it will help in the road handling. Our plans are to spend the first couple years on the road more than in longer term camping spots. The bigger cut angle and shorter overhang compared to our Winnebago might offset working into tight spots.

Hopefully I will get some DETAILED info on this unit early today.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A couple questions about the Chassis:

1. I am a bit confused on one issue...does this Mountain Master have IFS?
2. Does this come with the rear engine slide?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #11

Don,

Actually, this motor home is easier to fit than my 38'. Sometime between 1998 and 2005 they changed the steering ratios and radius. The only problem I have had is sometimes I turn too soon, too sharp and have to re-negotiate because I was not used to the steering. But have really been pleased with the ability to get into tight places.

On CW, everyone has thier experience. Mine has not been great with their offerings. I think they are usually higher priced and have not had the staff with expertise. But that is just my experience with one CW. I do shop there for specialty items when I can't find it anywhere else.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
SIGH!

Just got the details on this unit and it has the CAT engine. I don't mean to insult anyone with CAT engines because I have heard many that are very happy with them. I just prefer Cummins and have a GREAT Cummins service center that is also a Coach Care facility real close to me.

While I would prefer a 400 Cummins, I can easily accept a 370 HP and willing to consider a 350 HP Cummins. So...back to the search.

Thanks for your support.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have the Cummins 8.9 ISL 370hp in ours and have been pretty pleased with it. I believe a software update,(albeit kinda pricey), can be done by a Cummins shop to take you to the 400hp specs as they're basically the same engine. A couple of additional things to ponder are:

1. Our rig is a 2004 with a 2003 chassis and 2003 build engine. There were several years in that either side of that time span where Spartan, I believe, chose to only use (1) combo fuel filter/water seperator instead of the (2) different filters. Not necessarily a bad thing but our (1) filter setup got partially plugged with algae several monts ago while on a short vacation and had noticeable power loss on hills. Since I usually carry a couple of spares, I changed it out in the cg where we stayed and limped on home. I had the Cummins shop I use check it several days later after we got back and had them add back a second filter so I now have (2). You might also be aware that some of the gaskets in the lift pumps used on these engines in that span developed fuel leaks from using the ULSD fuel. It caused the the gasket material in use at the time to shrink but after changing material type, the problem supposedly was cured.

2. I noticed that your fridge, which looks to be a double door "NoCold" maybe, is in a slideout? Not good as these crap boxes are notorious for poor cooling anyway and are the subject of a massive recall by Norcold because of the potential to overheat and catch fire. Norcold has come out with a feeble attempt to passify the public in regards to their safety by issuing the infamous "black box", which supposedly will detect an overheat situation and shut the fridge off. To date, I believe there have been about (4) revisions to this joke of a box; what does that tell you? If you do end up getting serious about this unit, I would absolutely have the dealer either replace all the cooling coil/condensor setup on the back of the fridge,(keep the existing box) with that made by Amish or have them deduct around $2000 which should cover you purchasing the replacement materials and figuring 3-4 hrs labor to have it done. David Force can be contacted at the phone on the link and is very willing to answer any questions you may have. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse Some people have chose to replace their NoColds with residential units but as this can get pricey due to possible xtra batteries needed, invertor purchase and cabinetry modifications.

3. I sure you've rv'd enough to know, but don't forget to check the DOT date on the tires for age. To me 7 yrs would be my personal tops for age.

4. Have a good front end person check the conditon of the rubber boot covers and ball joints as reports have been coming in about them disintegrating from poor quality material and requiring possible replacement of both.($2500-$3000)

5. I don't do CW.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We have the Cummins 8.9 ISL 370hp ...

1. Our rig is a 2004 with a 2003 chassis and 2003 build engine. There were several years in that either side of that time span where Spartan, I believe, chose to only use (1) combo fuel filter/water seperator instead of the (2) different filters. ...

2. I noticed that your fridge, which looks to be a double door "NoCold" maybe, is in a slideout?...

3. I sure you've rv'd enough to know, but don't forget to check the DOT date on the tires for age. To me 7 yrs would be my personal tops for age.

4. Have a good front end person check the conditon of the rubber boot covers and ball joints as reports have been coming in about them disintegrating from poor quality material and requiring possible replacement of both.($2500-$3000)

5. I don't do CW.
Thanks JC

You provided me some more stuff for the memory banks.

1. Didn't know that stuff.
2. I'm very familiar with that whole issue. I have the Amish Cooling Unit in my current MH.
3. CW tried to say the tires are in good shape for being ORIGINAL.
4. More good data.
5. I hear ya.

We passed on this one. I had lined up an RV inspector "just in case" and after I talked with him he thought I was making a good decision based on what we new and the price they wanted.

Nothing is absolute because at the right price (much less) I could have been "bought". LOL I have to admit I wasn't expecting to run into the CAT engine issue. This particular model, according to CW, was actually a Freightliner IFS Chassis. Didn't see that one coming either. I hate BIG surprises. Again, no direct knock on Freighliner owners at all. Just 2 surprises I wasn't expecting.