Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #1

2005 DSDP BIRD Generator Charging Question

The backstory. I left my ignition in the 'Accesory' setting overnight, maybe 18 hours elapsed before I realized it.

Tried to re-level the coach using the HWH jack system later in the day and all indications are I have a low battery after another discussion with HWH Paul (second in a week, we verified ground has already been dealt with).

So chassis batteries need a charge. I'm running the genset to do the charging. Well at least that's what I think I'm reading should happen after perusing other threads and reading the Intellitec BIRD info 007 has posted.

With the genset running I checked VDC at the chassis batteries and they read 13.3, the same as the house batteries. The house batteries indicate 100% charged per my Victron setup. I would imagine the genset should be pushing 13.8+VDC for charging.

Next up I looked at the BIRD unit and noticed of all the leads connected to it that the genset lead is missing, as in the male connector is there, but nothing is connected to it.

So my question is whether this missing lead could be why I'm not able to charge the house batteries, or put another way, why isn't my genset charging my chassis batteries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200313_182953979.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	277954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200313_183034725.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	277955  

MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
With the genset running I checked VDC at the chassis batteries and they read 13.3, the same as the house batteries. The house batteries indicate 100% charged per my Victron setup. I would imagine the genset should be pushing 13.8+VDC for charging.

The generator produces 120 VAC. The 13.3 VDC is coming from the charger, which takes the 120 VAC as input. The 13.3 VDC that the charger outputs is connected to the house battery. The BIRD activates the solenoid which connects the house and chassis batteries, thus the same 13.3 VDC would be present at both battery banks.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
The generator produces 120 VAC. The 13.3 VDC is coming from the charger, which takes the 120 VAC as input. The 13.3 VDC that the charger outputs is connected to the house battery. The BIRD activates the solenoid which connects the house and chassis batteries, thus the same 13.3 VDC would be present at both battery banks.
If I understand, the question then is why isn't my charger putting out more than 13.3VDC?
Old 03-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What brand and model charger do you have? What are it’s capabilities (ie. does it support multiple phases - bulk, absorption, float)? What is the configured charger output voltage?
Old 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #5

First, the generator lead on the BIRD is only used to disable the bi-directional charging when the engine alternator is charging AND inverter/charger is charging while running off the generator. ( Not shore power ).

Its a feature that stops both charging systems from charging together, while driving down the road. If both charge, you could get a alt. fail light. Most RV builders don't wire it in because its a non issue.

Second, if your reading anything more then 12.7 volts, there is some charging going on.

The inverter/charger directly charges the house batteries, only.
When conditions are met, the chassis battery is paralleled to the house batteries for charging. That's what the BIRD and isolation solenoid do. Fancy jumper cable.

With the house bank at 100%, the charger senses that battery voltage and will not go into a bulk or absorb, higher output mode.

Third, Your charging voltages are controlled by house battery temperatures, thru the BTS, ( battery temp sensor. )
If you feel that charging voltages are low, there is a BTS reading in your remote panel. It should match the battery temps.

Quick test is to unplug the BTS from the Inverter/charger and see if things change. With it disconnected, it defaults to 77°F.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #6

One other thing, looking at your pictures.

On the BIRD picture, You have the purple wire on the coach battery connector and the red wire on the solenoid connector.

Most isolation solenoids use a purple wire from the BIRD to them. Can you follow that purple wire and see if it goes to the solenoid OR unplug and test the red wire for coach battery voltage.

The red and purple may be crossed and that will effect Bi-directional charging.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #7

Excellent responses. Travel day. Will check when I can and get back to you all.

TY!
Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

On the BIRD picture, You have the purple wire on the coach battery connector and the red wire on the solenoid connector.

Most isolation solenoids use a purple wire from the BIRD to them. Can you follow that purple wire and see if it goes to the solenoid OR unplug and test the red wire for coach battery voltage.

Sorry for the delay. We got caught up in finding a RV park last minute to stay put during the covid issue and another more pressing repair had to be dealt with.

The purple wire is attached to another wire leading to a fuse labeled "BAT. BOAST CTSY. LT 7.5 AMP" (see photo) which gells me it should be getting 12V. The red wire goes to the solenoid in the 2nd photo.

Would you still recommend a voltage check on red with purple detached from the BIRD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200331_160448754.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	279919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200331_160525554.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	279920  

Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Sorry for the delay. We got caught up in finding a RV park last minute to stay put during the covid issue and another more pressing repair had to be dealt with.

The purple wire is attached to another wire leading to a fuse labeled "BAT. BOAST CTSY. LT 7.5 AMP" (see 1st photo) which tells me it should be getting 12V. The red wire goes to the solenoid.

Would you still recommend a voltage check on red with purple detached from the BIRD?
Old 04-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Mark, On my 2005 Dutchstar the wiring is the same as what your showing. Robert Laird
robertlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlaird View Post
Mark, On my 2005 Dutchstar the wiring is the same as what your showing. Robert Laird
Thanks so much Robert. I really appreciate you taking the time.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

Another caution when testing voltages on the BIRD is that during activation/deactivation of the isolation relay, the BIRD provides some delays before/after conditions are met. That's the D in BIRD. I don't remember when and how long those delays are set for but taking readings during the delay phase can result in you chasing your tail.

Tags
charging, generator