Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

2005 Dutchstar Headlight Replacment

need help on how to take out and repace headlights on my 2005 newmar. thanks
KELVINSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KELVINSTV View Post
need help on how to take out and repace headlights on my 2005 newmar. thanks
What are your questions? Also you can probably find a number of threads on this site discussing this issue. I know that I was looking at the same issue and found a lot of good information using the Search function.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #3

Mine came out by reaching in thru the front hood opening and removing some screws that held them in place, then pushing them back from the outside. Don't know how your access is but mine were simple to replace.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look in QT's # 3, in the headlight light section for you answer.
All the links below in my signature will have something for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Pictures would help showing outside view and from behind as well if you can get underneath there. Most likely what you have is about the same as I had on my 2005 Airstream DP. They were mounted on a fiberglass tray with numerous long screws to hold them in place. But even after removing the screws it was time consuming process to actually remove the entire headlights. It was like they built the front fiberglass section of the coach around the headlights with not intention of them ever being removed. Be patient and have someone help you. Good luck
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

Just removed our headlights from our 2001 DSDP with absolutely no idea of how to do it when I started. I did it the hard way and it took way more time than it should have.

Our 2001 may be different than your 2005 but the trick I learned is to remove a spring like clip from each of the 3 black plastic adjusting nuts on the backside of the housing. These are the screws used to adjust the headlight beam. I used a straight blade screwdriver to push the clip off each black plastic adjusting nut. Then I could remove the remaining washers, then once this was done, the headlight housing was removed by pushing it forward toward the front of the MH.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Snail1, is there any trick to removing the clips? I have a 2004 Mountain Aire gasser, the headlights are yellow and beyond repair. My plan is to order after market assemblies as opposed to OEM as they AM are about 1/3 the price. If need be, I can replace them every few years for the difference in price. Back to the clips, I'll need to re-use them so I can't afford to bend/destroy them when I remove them. I looked at them and with a step stool, flat blade screw driver and some dual from someone that has already done it I don't think it should be a problem. Thanks!
PalmerAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

I had to replace one clip. I took the old clip to my local
Ford dealer and bought a replacement for something like $3.50. My local NAPA auto parts store did not have a replacement clip--it had to come from the OEM.

I still have to do the alignment of the lights but need to do that some dark night.

Good luck, just be patient.