Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 09:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2005 Essex Door Noise

Evening everyone,

We just picked up our new to us 05 Essex and love it. I noticed the wind noise when returning home and found multiple old threads on IRV2 but was unable to reply to the posts because they were 3 years old.

So…the entry door only latches to the first click. Also noticed that the dead bolt would not lock and the door doesn’t appear flush with the frame when closed. Do you recommend the PTL door fix previously discussed or is this another problem?

Thanks
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 09:27 PM   #2

Can you lock the dead bolt if you push on the door from the outside, or pull in from the inside with the close handle ?

Only closing to the first click ( latch position ) usually means the striker is too far in ; it has to be loosened and moved out a small amount .
Mark the current position before you start .
Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
So glad to see your post, you are not alone. Just got our 2006 Essex and are having the same noise. Latching system seems to be in working condition so we are going to start with re-sealing.
Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:30 AM   #4

I had the same issue on a 2005 DSDP. The final solution was calling PTL and getting a new door seal. An 18-year-old seal is just not as pliable as it once was. They sent a video on how to properly install the new seal. It was a straightforward process. Take your time and remove all of the old seal and left over glue. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll probably order the new door seal. For adjusting the door so the deadbolt latches does this require removal of the trim etc to do the PTL adjustment? I was looking at the trim piece that covers the access and it attached very well
Old 03-22-2023, 05:21 AM   #6

I adjusted the latch prior to purchasing the new seal. I too had to remove the trim also. Just pop out the wood plugs that covers the screws and you can access the latch. Once I received the new seal and installed it, I went back in and adjusted the latch back to the original position because I had to slam the door really hard with the new seal. The original latch position was perfect with a new seal.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
I adjusted the latch prior to purchasing the new seal. I too had to remove the trim also. Just pop out the wood plugs that covers the screws and you can access the latch. Once I received the new seal and installed it, I went back in and adjusted the latch back to the original position because I had to slam the door really hard with the new seal. The original latch position was perfect with a new seal.
This makes sense. I’ll replace the seal and then adjust as needed. What’s strange is not being able to lock the deadbolt. I’ve pulled on the handle from the inside and no luck. I can hear the door air lock engage when the brakes are released too.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
This makes sense. I’ll replace the seal and then adjust as needed. What’s strange is not being able to lock the deadbolt. I’ve pulled on the handle from the inside and no luck. I can hear the door air lock engage when the brakes are released too.
The deadbolt can only be locked if the door is completely closed.

Does the striker pin move freely up and down in a slight arc?
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
The deadbolt can only be locked if the door is completely closed.

Does the striker pin move freely up and down in a slight arc?
I called PTL engineering and they were very helpful. We’re working to find out which seal the coach has. In closer inspection the PO had added layers of gasket to the original. I included a photo to show how far out the door is when it’s fully closed. Keep in mind “fully closed “ does not look closed to me. No amount of slamming, pushing or pulling gets the door flush with the frame. It sticks out about 1/4” which explains the deadbolt issue and probably the wind noise. More to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	066C13F9-C566-47D5-8DF3-588F11F77CD6.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	388704  
Old 03-23-2023, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
I called PTL engineering and they were very helpful. We’re working to find out which seal the coach has. In closer inspection the PO had added layers of gasket to the original. I included a photo to show how far out the door is when it’s fully closed. Keep in mind “fully closed “ does not look closed to me. No amount of slamming, pushing or pulling gets the door flush with the frame. It sticks out about 1/4” which explains the deadbolt issue and probably the wind noise. More to follow
It is not fully latched.

The PO adding the extra gasket material is a problem. Can you remove it?
Old 03-24-2023, 05:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It is not fully latched.

The PO adding the extra gasket material is a problem. Can you remove it?
You raise a great point. Took out all of the excess gasket material and I can now get the door to fully close to the 2nd latch. Can even lock the deadbolt

Next step is to take her for a test drive to check the wind noise without the extra gasket material. The remaining gasket looks like the original and the PTL tech said that they didn’t make the original gasket anymore. he did verify (via photos I sent) that the door seal isn’t inflatable.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
You raise a great point. Took out all of the excess gasket material and I can now get the door to fully close to the 2nd latch. Can even lock the deadbolt

Next step is to take her for a test drive to check the wind noise without the extra gasket material. The remaining gasket looks like the original and the PTL tech said that they didn’t make the original gasket anymore. he did verify (via photos I sent) that the door seal isn’t inflatable.
That sounds like progress.

I had wind noise around my door. Tried everything including adjusting the Movabolt. Finally removed the screen door to where my wife could really listen around the door seal. There was a gap at the top of the door. You could shut the door and slide a piece of paper easily at the top. I had to add some 1/8 inch thick neoprene to the top of the door frame to solve the problem.

My door latches fully with just a soft tug from the I side or slight push from the outside now.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
That sounds like progress.

I had wind noise around my door. Tried everything including adjusting the Movabolt. I had to add some 1/8 inch thick neoprene to the top of the door frame to solve the problem.

My door latches fully with just a soft tug from the I side or slight push from the outside now.
Great suggestion. Going for a test drive tomorrow with the door double latched. For the neoprene how did attach it to the door frame? Source of the neoprene?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Great suggestion. Going for a test drive tomorrow with the door double latched. For the neoprene how did attach it to the door frame? Source of the neoprene?

Thanks
The neoprene gasket has a stickon backing. I bought it off of Amazon - lots of width and thickness options.

Tags
door, essex, noise