Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2005 Essex Questions

We've added a 2005 4103 Essex to our list of coaches to consider along with a 2006 MA.

My main concern is how fuel thirsty the 500ISM in the Essex is. I have been told if I don't drive it with my foot in the motor all the time, it may not burn much more than my 330 CAT which works harder. Is this fuzzy logic?

Any other concerns. I am assuming the paint issue with those years would be a concern since this Essex has pretty dark paint. We've only seen pics at this point.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #2

The factor limiting mpg in your equation is the weight of the coach. The ISM is capable of mpg in the 7-8 range when driven conservatively.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

7-8 if you keep it under 62MPH and don't tow. Figure6.2 to 6.8 MPG.

Have someone with the Insite software or Cummings get a work order off the ECM and it will tell you how much fuel has been through the engine since new. It will give you about 50 pages of info on the engine. Total MPG even how many times the engine brake has been on. I wouldn't purchase one that age until I knew what codes and service it has been through.

Takes about 10 minutes to get all that.

Here's a reading after I replaced the EGR valve.(49 pages)
Check the total MPG. Look on page 45. And it's right on.

Just remember, you can load this baby up and set it on 60-75 and run all day towing 7K lbs. Climbs hills too if you keep it up above 65
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New EGR valve 3-18-2013.pdf (185.8 KB, 98 views)
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased our 05 Essex in Nov 2011.

It was getting 6.2 mpg (running genset and towing) at 65 mph.
Then it went down to 5.7 mpg, we took it in for the 10,000 and they found that the EGR tubes were clogged and the EGR valve was stuck open.
The first tank we checked, half bad EGR and half new EGr, it was back up to 6.2, so I think it will be even better.

The Essex is our first RV and we love it, you will not be unhappy.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is the Brochure for 2005 Essex the 4103 has the largest cargo carrying capacity for all your stuff.
The 500 should do that easily.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Wow CJGJR, that is a lot of info contained in the data sheets. I would think its primary purpose is to help with troubleshooting, but it makes me think of Big Brother.

Speaking of Big Brother, I hope he wasn't around when you set the Trip Maximum Vehicle Speed on page 49. Must have been quite a sight to see an Essex going down the highway at that velocity.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

I didn't say it was my Coach. I have readings on lots of them.

But the Essex will run 95 all day long if the tires would hold up.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
If storage cabinets above windows are needed (Essex I have seen have big tall windows with no overhead cabinets) you might look at a 2007 or up MADP. It too has a Spartan II chassis ISM with 450 hp. Foot-Lbs of torque are nearly identical. If you have to have 500 hp have a Cummins tech flash it to 500 hp for a fee. The 2006 MADP does not have the Spartan II chassis. I have averaged 7.3 mpg over many thousands of miles. Best mileage is in California where if you tow at the regulated 55 mph, I get 8.3 to 8.5

This is not to gig the Essex owners, but sometimes the multiplexed wiring systems they have can be somewhat problematic. I quick search of threads will suffice. THe 2007 up MADP has no multiplexed wiring which makes it easier the troubleshoot for the typical mechanic.

Good luck with your quest!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #9

Have a 04 Essex, bought used 4 years ago. Last year, prior to cross country trip of 9000+ miles started using Opti-Lube Summer Blend. Went from +/- 7 mpg to 8 w/cruise at 65 mph + toad. Current mileage 70000.
rgeisel is offline   Reply With Quote