Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

2005 Kountry Star - W24 Workhorse

I am looking at a private sale 2005 Kountry Star 3742 with 46K miles. The 3742 was one of the two coaches made in 2005 with the W24 chassis. To say this coach is immaculate is an understatement. It has been meticulously maintained and the owners are very particular. They are the original owners and some of the options they ordered would be what I would have likely ordered had I bought it new. For example, it has the washer/dryer, it has a fiberglass roof option and double pane windows. There are several other options but things like the fiberglass roof are not something you would add later to the coach and I think this is a very desirable option.

This is our first coach so I am somewhat nervous although I have been doing a lot of reading and looking. The asking price is $49K, which from what I have read on NADA, seems to be at or below the low price.

Guess I am looking for some kind of sanity check on the asking price, etc. for the coach and whether this would be a good first coach. I am thinking it is not as expensive as a newer coach so if we decide the RV is not for us hopefully I won't take a huge hit, yet it is comfortable enough that if we do enjoy the RV life we can use if for getting away during winter months as well as traveling and seeing the country during the warmer months. The floor plan was also a smash with us as we looked at a number of coaches where we just didn't like the layout.

Thanks for any thoughts.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

Sound almost to good to be true , one thing that the seller may have priced in ; tires , if original are at the end of their lifespan, and would require replacement before travel, could be he knows any one purchasing will look into tire replacement costs and may have discounted his asking price accordingly. Check for information on the brake caliper recalls, make sure the latest was done .
B-I-Law's 05 Tiffin on a W-22 chassis , Cargo Carrying Capacity , was his only issue other than the brakes.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Tires are two years old. Brakes weren't an issue on the W24 chassis.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi vettenuts sounds good so far the W24 was not on the recall it had a different braking system on chassis and more heavy duty.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
In my signature below are three QT's links that will relate to the Newmar.
NADA shows it at 51,600 so below that price.
If you like the floor plan that's a plus and recalls for that year KS were fireplace if it has one, refrigerator Norcold and steering wheel if it falls within the Vin#.
Good luck and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Thanks for the reply. Tires are two years old. Brakes weren't an issue on the W24 chassis.
If it wasn't across the country, I bet I could sell it a few times here.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

Sounds like a nice unit, had an `02 Dutch Star and loved the Newmar. If you like the layout, go for it.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a great coach and a good price.

While I am usually it a fan of service agreements, I think one can serve a good purpose with the purchase of a prep wend coach where you don't have personal experience with it. Keep it in place for the first year as a mitigation against latent or unforeseen issues. Then reevaluate the need to continue after having experience and confidence in the coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse