RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

2005 Mountain Aire replacement radio

The 2005 Mountain Aire 43' that I'm buying has the single DIN motorized flip screen radio in it that they all came with. The original Pioneer unit that came new in the coach is long gone, the owner replaced it with a really cheap replacement of the same motorized screen design. What are you guys who have had to replace the original using? Has anyone been able to fabricate and adapt a double DIN modern radio in it's place? I'm just not a real fan of the motorized screen radios,, but if that's what needs to be used so be it. What have you guys done?

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Doug....congrats on the new coach. I know you posted a lot about the hunt and purchase. A photo of the radio and dash opening would certainly help with providing some ideas.

Years ago, I had the first generation Pioneer AVIC radio. It was a double din and I loved the small peanut shaped wireless remote that fit on the steering wheel. With that said, I found their service dropped off and went with a Kenwood this time.

I bought the double din Kenwood with GPS for my 2019 DS. So far, I've been really happy with the radio and GPS.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Doug....congrats on the new coach. I know you posted a lot about the hunt and purchase. A photo of the radio and dash opening would certainly help with providing some ideas.

Years ago, I had the first generation Pioneer AVIC radio. It was a double din and I loved the small peanut shaped wireless remote that fit on the steering wheel. With that said, I found their service dropped off and went with a Kenwood this time.

I bought the double din Kenwood with GPS for my 2019 DS. So far, I've been really happy with the radio and GPS.
Here's a photo of the center stack. The radio/display that's in there works, but it's just junk. It's really low quality. As you can see it's a single DIN size, I'm hoping there's room in there with a bit of cutting, moving a few things around and some fabrication that perhaps a more modern double DIN unit can be slid in there. I really don't like these single DIN motorized display radios. I have no intention at all of using the outdated OnStar in there, so eliminating that part of the center stack would bring more than enough space, but it would require some fab work.

With all the skill and talent on this board I'm hoping that someone has come up with a way to do it that looks clean and professionally done. The absolute last thing I want is something that looks like a hack job.

EDIT: I have no idea why the photo is sideways and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	274541  
Old 02-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My initial thoughts......remove what looks like an ashtray or storage tray at the bottom and slide the rack of items down, making room for a double din. The area above the radio was cut off in the photo, but is there room to cut into the dash or make a nice surround that extends a little above the dash?

Name:   attachment.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  31.6 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Crutchfiled.com has a great selection of replacement radios and audio equipment, and also has many adapters to attach to factory wiring harnesses. In my experience customer service has been excellent
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #6

I made some new bezels and moved stuff around to fit a much larger 10.1" display.
This is an Android Joying double din chassis head unit. Same sized screen is also available in a single DIN chassis.

You can load any Android "app" you want on it.
I have my RV automation app running on it as example.
CarPlay / Android Auto compatible too.

Ideally it would be higher up in the dash. But it's not too low where it is. Makes it easy to use the touchscreen where it is.

Down the road, the dash will get a complete remake using more touchscreens. Digital dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio_small.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	274693  
Old 02-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I made some new bezels and moved stuff around to fit a much larger 10.1" display.
This is an Android Joying double din chassis head unit. Same sized screen is also available in a single DIN chassis.

You can load any Android "app" you want on it.
I have my RV automation app running on it as example.
CarPlay / Android Auto compatible too.

Ideally it would be higher up in the dash. But it's not too low where it is. Makes it easy to use the touchscreen where it is.

Down the road, the dash will get a complete remake using more touchscreens. Digital dash.
Wow, that's just perfect. That Joying head unit would do the trick. I see you can adjust the height of the screen relative to the fixed chassis - can you adjust how far or little it protrudes from the single DIN chassis, and if necessary left-right in relation to the chassis? If so would you be able to estimate how much in each direction? Also, have you tried the Apple car play with it so see how it works? You made my day!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Yes the screen can move Vertically and Horizontally relative to the head unit chassis. Guessing maybe an inch each way. I don't think protrusion relative to the chassis is adaptable. You can change how much the chassis protrudes with brackets. If you wanted, you could fit a custom bezel and mount the screen to it, with the cable running through a bezel hole plugged into the chassis behind the bezel for complete custom.

Apple CarPlay: I haven't tried it. I use an Android phone (Pixel XL) but my Fam uses all Apple stuff. My RV automation system is far more capable than CarPlay so I have no need for it. I did put CarPlay and AA on the first production vehicle (Ferrari then Grand Cherokee) when I worked for Fiat Chrysler so am very familiar with it. I would read some forum posts on the particular head unit model to verify.

Heres a forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

I will add that this stuff is a little oriented towards those that like to dink with this stuff. If you want something more solid then buy from Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine and the like. You will pay much more, be more restricted in what you can do, but get a device that has more testing and maturity.

The ability to freely put any App I want on it is the largest consideration for me.

Tags
ace, air, mountain aire, radio, replace, replacement