RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2005 Newmar Essex

Looking to buy a 45' 2005 Essex with 40k miles on it. Are there any recurring issues that I should look for in this model?
Planning to trade in my 42' 2007 Monaco Camelot, 28k miles. After all is said and done I will be paying about $30,000 more. Step up or down? Thoughts please.
Thanks in advance.
Lloyd

Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lloydu,
There are no issues with that year coach. Based on the mileage, I'd check out all the automotive components very throughly. Lack of use, not abuse is the death of motor coaches. Tires and batteries also need to be looked at (date code for tires). Batteries need to be load tested. This coach has a lot of batteries. Other than that, do the usual due diligence. This is a huge step up from the Monaco. We look forward to having you part of the Newmar family.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Lloydu.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for ESSEX.
You can check for any recalls here.---Any recalls should of been done by now.
Its a big move up allot to the coach you can find more info related in QT's ! & 2 and the new # 3.
Good luck in your hunt and a welcome to the family maybe in order.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Lloydu:

We full time in an 08 Ex and have found it to be a GREAT machine. We don't have experience with the 05, but GaryKD and "007" (above) are reliable resources and their suggestions are VERY worth following.

Oh,.....and WELCOME to the Newmar klan.

Steve & Lynette
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

05 Essex...good chassis and engine. We have a close friend who bought an 05 recently and they love. It only had 20K miles...like new on the inside. I think they changed the tires due to age. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

We have a 04 Essex bought new with 86K miles.Outstanding motorhome with only 2 issues. ERG valve on 500 engine which seems to be a problem with all coaches with this engine. Living in southern California we had fiber glass checking which made all dark areas look like paint issue. Newmar replaced all side fiberglass and repainted coach at a very fair partial warranty price. Many other brands have had this issue and I think Newmar was the only one who even after 5 or 6 years assisted owners. Newmar a great company and very good service assistance.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Older with more miles, but fancier is an interesting move. I am wondering what about the Camelot you find wanting, and what is attracting you to the older Essex?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Check the dark colors for paint/fiberglass checking. That year Essex had luan backed fiberglass and checking is possible. Check the drivers window for condensation.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Older with more miles, but fancier is an interesting move. I am wondering what about the Camelot you find wanting, and what is attracting you to the older Essex?

I have been led to believe by a salesman at Guaranty RV (trying to sell me a 2008 42' Dutch Star) that Newmar construction was solid, and their slides were better designed than other company's. I test drove the DS and it handled very well, especially with Comfort Drive. I understand that the 2005 does NOT have CD but I'm assuming that the coach will handle as well as my 42' Camelot. The Camelot is a great coach but it has a Cummins 400 hp/ 3000 Allison and kinda wanted at least 500 horses with the 4000 Allison, the extra 3 feet in length and arguably a better looking coach. .
Basically, I'm thinking sturdier construction, better insulation, more power, more heavy duty tranny, a little more luxury and possibly better resale value when my wife and I decide to give up RVing in maybe 3-4 years.
Am I crazy to step down 2 years, pay possibly $30k more than what I think I can sell my Monaco for, to get what I assume is a better constructed coach?
BTW, I have not made the long journey (2500 miles) to view this coach yet although we settled on the price, pending a thorough inspection by me and a professional in the Portland, OR area (anyone know one in the area?).
All, any thoughts would be appreciated. Happy holidays!
Lloyd
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'd trust Guaranty RV in Junction City. They are one of the most reputable RV dealers on the west coast. Iv'e personally done business with them and they were more than helpful and their pricing is reasonable. Of course, being a Newmar owner, I believe and have found their coaches and all that Guaranty Sales is telling you about them, to be proven true. I hope the coach meets every expectation when you expend your time and money to view it. Gary from Salem, Oregon

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lloydu,
Thanks for the update post on why you are thinking of purchasing the Essex. To answer your last question, yes you are crazy to go back two years and pay $30K for the Essex. For me, I would not do it. January 16 - 20th is the Tampa RV Super Show (Tampa, Florida). Take some of that $30K and spend a couple of days at the show. Newmar will have over 50 coaches at the show. I know what you are going to say about buying new. However, ask for Dan Cutting (Diesel Dan) . He sells more Newmar coaches than any sales person in the USA. First of all, he can do wonders with financing. Secondly, if you really want a pre owned coach, tell Dan what you want and he will find it. You can also trust Dan and North Trail RV to sell you quality.

FYI, Newmar (North Trail RV) actually sells most if not all the coaches they bring to the show. Who know's the price may be just right. Lastly, Newmar executives are on site, at the display. This means there is no waiting for price negotiations. Everyone who needs to be involved is right there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Lloydu,
Thanks for the update post on why you are thinking of purchasing the Essex. To answer your last question, yes you are crazy to go back two years and pay $30K for the Essex. For me, I would not do it. January 16 - 20th is the Tampa RV Super Show (Tampa, Florida). Take some of that $30K and spend a couple of days at the show. Newmar will have over 50 coaches at the show. I know what you are going to say about buying new. However, ask for Dan Cutting (Diesel Dan) . He sells more Newmar coaches than any sales person in the USA. First of all, he can do wonders with financing. Secondly, if you really want a pre owned coach, tell Dan what you want and he will find it. You can also trust Dan and North Trail RV to sell you quality.

FYI, Newmar (North Trail RV) actually sells most if not all the coaches they bring to the show. Who know's the price may be just right. Lastly, Newmar executives are on site, at the display. This means there is no waiting for price negotiations. Everyone who needs to be involved is right there.
Gary
Many thanks for your reply. My wife and I are taking your advice and booked a flight to Tampa. I plan to stay there for a week to take the show/city all in. I had not even heard of the show until you mentioned it. We hope to meet you and many other Newmar owners/dealers at the show.
Aloha and MELE KALIKIMAKA,
Lloyd
Honolulu, HI
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Be sure to make reservations at the Columbia restaurant, for the flamenco dinner show. It's in Ybor City, which is part of Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydu View Post
Gary
Many thanks for your reply. My wife and I are taking your advice and booked a flight to Tampa. I plan to stay there for a week to take the show/city all in. I had not even heard of the show until you mentioned it. We hope to meet you and many other Newmar owners/dealers at the show.
Aloha and MELE KALIKIMAKA,
Lloyd
Honolulu, HI

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote