Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #43

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Well folks...here I am again...asking for help on THIS rig

This is on Facebook so I don't know if this link will work or not, but here goes, Click HERE.

We are heading over there tomorrow to check it out after doing a video walk through today and I wanted to touch base with any current or past owners of this or similar rigs, to see what I should pay close attention to.

Since this on a Spartan chassis is there anything in particular I should look at or ask about?

The current owner has told us it needs all new toppers and I've got another post going on here about that, but my general feeling it's not a big deal and something I should be able to do myself.....with help.

So what do you think? Look good? Worth the money? Any recommendations on what I should ask for it?

The owner is selling because they bought a house and just don't use it anymore as they thought they'd be going full time in it. They are a young couple and as far as I can tell, very honest and above board.

Okay...let me know what you think and I'll report back tomorrow with our thoughts and probably more questions.

TIA!
You've bought a great coach that has been cared for. I had an 04 MADP 4301 with King Bed. This one is same layout. I only let cummings do engine work and freightliner to chassis work. For Coach work I used a local camper store with lots of experience. I would NOT let just anyone work on mine. Before selling I had the inside completely redone with french door stainless reg, new tile flooring throughout, new fabrics and a cherry dinette installed. We loved it but wife got tired of wheels under the bed and we are now in our late 70s and early 80s. Bought condo in FL instead .
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #44

2005 Mountain Aire 4304

Unless a coach is still under warranty, always have it inspected by a certified inspector. You wouldn't buy a house without an inspection and so it holds that a coach deserves the same level of attention. You can find these people online. I think it is National RV Inspectors Association and they have certified inspectors all over the country. Inspections are not cheap but they will give you an accurate snapshot of the coach's condition and ultimately your future costs.

Good Luck
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Pdmeehan
TriMoot, we live in St. Augustine, FL and bought a coach at Independence RV in Winter Garden. For my professional inspection we used Art Horton. I believe he is out of the Daytona Beach area, but traveled to Winter Garden to perform the inspection. He did a great job for us. Would not hesitate to recommend him.

Here is his contact info:

Art Horton LLC

RV Quality Inspections

NRVIA Member # 42

Level 2 (advanced) training instructor.

www.rvqualityinspections.com

arthortonllc@gmail.com

cell 386-562-8721
Old 12-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdmeehan View Post
TriMoot, we live in St. Augustine, FL and bought a coach at Independence RV in Winter Garden. For my professional inspection we used Art Horton. I believe he is out of the Daytona Beach area, but traveled to Winter Garden to perform the inspection. He did a great job for us. Would not hesitate to recommend him.

Here is his contact info:

Art Horton LLC

RV Quality Inspections

NRVIA Member # 42

Level 2 (advanced) training instructor.

www.rvqualityinspections.com

arthortonllc@gmail.com

cell 386-562-8721

THANK YOU!! Very much appreciate the help.

I still need help in figuring out the process of looking at one, agreeing on the price, hiring an inspector, perhaps taking it to a Cummins dealer to have the motor inspected, and then do you re-negotiate depended on the report from the inspector and from the engine inspection and how do you all do this if the rig is 2, 3, or more hours away?

That’s the real struggle for me.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My approach would be as follows.
1. Contact seller to inform him of your interest. Discuss anything you saw in pictures, service records and manuals available and is the price negotiable. If all is positive then to step 2.
2. Plan a trip to see the coach in person and identify an RV Inspector possibly in the area of the coach as most inspectors will charge a travel fee. Be prepared to place a small refundable deposit. The fee for the inspection could approach $1,000. But it is worth it to ensure you know the condition of the coach. If all still positive step 3.
3. Have the inspector complete the inspection. You do not have to be present. I would suggest, others may not, to have the inspector pull fluid samples for fluid analyses of the engine oil, generator oil and engine coolant. This would provide an indication of how the coach was maintained. The inspection with findings/recommendations and photos should be back to you within three days. Inform the inspector of your timeline. The fluid analyses may take up to a week. On to step 4.
4. You can use inspection report to negotiate with the seller while waiting for the fluid analyses report. Make the fluid analyses a contingent for the sale.

My opinion....Good luck!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #48

I think you are going to have find a very special private seller that is willing to go through that process.

It is a seller's market at the moment.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:11 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bent just, unfortunately you’re probably correct.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #50

Yeah...worst time to buy! UGH! And it stinks...I wish I knew what I know now about a year ago, I would have bought THE rig for the price we need, now they all seem unreachable. And before we can even get to some of them, they're already under contract, which we always say, "Well, keep my contact info in case something falls through because we are a CASH buyer!". Doesn't help when it's a dealer, probably has the opposite affect. Sigh...

This rig, the one I posted about is now under contract, and was about a day after I said no. Am I kicking myself? Yeah...a bit, BUT, I still would not have wanted to deal with the rust, and of course, "WHO BUYS A $75K RIG WITHOUT DRIVING IT!!" Man, I think that was my biggest fear, that I had just plopped a ton of money down and never even put it on the road.

So now I am off work until the new year, and we are planning on zooming around Florida to try and find the perfect rig....but so far I haven't even seen one close to what we want so don't really know where to zoom to.

Might just zoom down to Key West and spend Christmas there. Assuming I can get my steps to work: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ste...ng-517576.html

Thanks all, and have a great Christmas!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #51

There are always RVs for sale. The one for you is out there. You will find it eventually.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #52

TriMoot, maybe I missed something over the course of this thread but what fire is under you to purchase immediately? Decisions made in haste seem to come with a later delivery of regrets.

As an owner of a 15 year old Class C, I've become better acquainted with the things that leak, fail, or that are getting old and cranky faster than I am... I've been looking for a Class A for the past 2 years (my Covid-cation has now messed up my retirement plans) and now will wait at least another couple of years for prices to stabilize. I realize youe situation is likely very different but the take away for me is that "there will always be a deal out there." Sometimes there are more of them, or some are better than others... but patience is the key to buying the coach you want at the price that works for you.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I've been looking for a Class A for the past 2 years... but patience is the key to buying the coach you want at the price that works for you.
I have to agree with this completely. I looked at upgrading my C to an A for several years. The perfect rig for me popped up at the right price and I jumped on it. I saw several come and go that were priced right but the timing for me was off.

It seems whenever I really need something (like wifes truck dies) and I am forced to find the best deal available at that exact window in time I find an ok deal but not the best. Unless you are in dire need of the upgrade I would just keep patient. In the meantime I will keep hanging out and watching you shop
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #54

Solo-RV-Guy,
You are right, patience is the key. Not to say that an excellent bargain could become available immediately but always do your due diligence before purchasing anything. Impulse buying has gotten a lot of people in trouble. Hang in there TriMoot, the right one with a good price will come along sooner or later.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #55

Well...... I do appreciate everyone’s feedback but we’ve been looking for over a year or more and have now been living in our 23 year old 8x30 “tube” (no slides) since August of 2019. And while I am thankful to have this the ballet we perform every day is starting to feel more like roller derby!

Of course I jest, but it’s just time to get some elbow room.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #56

Ahh that's right you are full timing in there! I forgot about that. I would say that would for sure increase the wants and needs of a bit more space
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, mountain aire, newmar