Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #1

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304

Well folks...here I am again...asking for help on THIS rig

This is on Facebook so I don't know if this link will work or not, but here goes, Click HERE.

We are heading over there tomorrow to check it out after doing a video walk through today and I wanted to touch base with any current or past owners of this or similar rigs, to see what I should pay close attention to.

Since this on a Spartan chassis is there anything in particular I should look at or ask about?

The current owner has told us it needs all new toppers and I've got another post going on here about that, but my general feeling it's not a big deal and something I should be able to do myself.....with help.

So what do you think? Look good? Worth the money? Any recommendations on what I should ask for it?

The owner is selling because they bought a house and just don't use it anymore as they thought they'd be going full time in it. They are a young couple and as far as I can tell, very honest and above board.

Okay...let me know what you think and I'll report back tomorrow with our thoughts and probably more questions.

TIA!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

Up for a road trip?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...032-5014186516
RJ8450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8450 View Post

Perhaps...Does this have a king bed?
Old 11-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Facebook RV

TriMoot,
I know pictures can be deceiving but the one on Facebook you are looking at seems to be the better coach. Yes it costs more, but you can figure around 4K for those 8 new tires in 2018. You are right the toppers can be changed out pretty easily but it is labor intensive and you will need a helper. It sounds like that you live close enough to look at it in person. Regardless whatever you buy never purchase anything sight unseen.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Perhaps...Does this have a king bed?
That coach will break your heart and your wallet.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

Well, I can’t offer anything worthwhile in form of advice on these, or any, coaches you’re looking at BUT it sure is fun to follow along on your journey to find your new home on wheels.
Used is always a gamble but if you can find one from a private one owner you’re one up. Hard to do tho. Keep the faith, it’s out there!!!

FWIW- I liked the first one!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
That coach will break your heart and your wallet.

Tell me more, I’m listening.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Well, I can’t offer anything worthwhile in form of advice on these, or any, coaches you’re looking at BUT it sure is fun to follow along on your journey to find your new home on wheels.
Used is always a gamble but if you can find one from a private one owner you’re one up. Hard to do tho. Keep the faith, it’s out there!!!

FWIW- I liked the first one!!!

Ha! Thanks BobMar, glad we’re entertaining you! It’s beginning to drive me crazy!! LoL!
Old 11-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

TriMoot,
I think what USMCRET is trying to say is the coach was “Road Hard & Put Up Wet”. Just a couple of things I noticed was the paint was coming off the front of the Coach and above the entrance door. If you do decide to take a closer look at it have a professional inspector look at it before making any kind of offer.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #10

We had a 2005 4301 bought used in 2010 and sold it July of this year. It was a great coach for those 10 years but was becoming more expensive each year to maintain. We went a total different direction with a 5th wheel.

I tracked all costs in a spreadsheet over the 10 years and came out just north of $30,000. This is not including registration/insurance/fuel!!!

They great coaches just be ready for $3k per year in maintenance to keep them running in top shape.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Tell me more, I’m listening.
That RVTrader coach shows neglect. It’s missing the awning over the door, it has the original Diamond Shield which needs to be removed and replaced, the slide topper on driver’s side is not properly affixed, I don’t even know what’s going on with the refrigerator doors, and there are wood trim pieces laying on he floor beside the dinette. Lord only knows what more there is not pictured. I wouldn’t give that one the time of day.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

The first one is the nicer of the two. The first one is 43 versus 40 feet. The first one also has a tag axle. The second one has trouble written all over it.

Either way get them inspected before putting out money.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
That RVTrader coach shows neglect. It’s missing the awning over the door, it has the original Diamond Shield which needs to be removed and replaced, the slide topper on driver’s side is not properly affixed, I don’t even know what’s going on with the refrigerator doors, and there are wood trim pieces laying on he floor beside the dinette. Lord only knows what more there is not pictured. I wouldn’t give that one the time of day.

Oh, but what about the one on Facebook?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
From what little I can see (I don’t have a FB account), that one is worth investigating.

Look up RVGEEKS on YouTube. They full time in a 2005 Mountain Aire, and they take impeccable care of it. Their channel can give you some insight into what that coach is supposed to look like and some of its features.

Tags
air, mountain aire, newmar